Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cheesy Potato Soup

I didn't realize until tonight, this week's Foodie Friday was all about disasters and train wrecks in the kitchen.... I could have shared some really good ones.

The last one being when I had a HUGE stockpot of of Homemade Chicken Noodle soup 'gently' simmering, while I was at my computer showing my sister and admiring some fantastic decorating ideas over at Pat's place at 'Back Porch Musings'. (click on her make overs!) Pat is fabulous decorator, homemaker and we both love perusing her blog! We were having a great time oooing and aahhing when we heard the large pot of soup boiling over and could smell the stench of the delicious broth burning.... It was a huge mess!!!
But as a true blogger, I grabbed my camera, THEN we cleaned it up and came right back into the office to look at more of Pat's lovely make overs:-) LOL ... No worries though. I was able to save the soup and we shared it with several families who had the flu bug along with hot rolls.
****************************************************
I had already decided today to make good on my promise of sharing the recipe for this delicious Cheesy Potato Soup, since I had only showed you pictures of it last month. I also want to share pictures of the fun party and great group of kids, I had made the soup for!

Cheesy and Creamy Potato Soup OR the famous Bratten’s Clam Chowder
1 c. diced onions
1 c. diced celery
2 c. diced potatoes
1 c. thinly sliced carrots
1 cup butter
1 cup flour
1 pt half and half
1 pt milk
1 ½ tsp salt or to taste
½ tsp sugar
2 T. red wine vinegar
garlic pepper to taste
Garnish with chopped parsley
Several squirts of Tabasco sauce to taste:)


Add enough water to barely cover the vegetables and simmer, covered, over medium heat until potatoes are barely tender, about 20 minutes. In meantime, melt butter and flour and cook a minute or two to make a roux. Add cream and stir until smooth and thick, using wire whisk to blend. Add vegetables (and clams) and heat through. Season with salt, garlic pepper, sugar, Tabasco and vinegar to taste. Makes about 8 servings. I quadrupled the recipe!


This soup is very versatile and you can add 2 ~6 1/2 oz cans of chopped clams and make delicious clam chowder.

I added about 1 lb of cubed Velveeta cheese for cheesy potato soup. This creamy soup is so versatile you can add any kind of meat, cheese, vegetables you desire. for this soup I also added diced left over honey baked ham, just because we happened to have it. It is all optional!


I promise if you make this soup ...you will find it is a keeper, will become one of your families favorites and a great recipe to feed a crowd.

Here are some of the fun pictures of the tubing party that night! We had about 160 Young Single Adults show up for the party at Soldier's Hollow. It was 17 degrees when we arrived and we never heard a complaint of the cold. Just plenty of laughter and fun. Some of these pictures were borrowed my friend Lonna's blog, S and L Updates.


They all said, they loved sailing FAST down the mountain in the dark! Boy, did they ever squeal with delight!

These three incredible young girls mean so much to us and Lonna is a great friend... My husband was their bishop while the girls were in their teen years.
It was a way fun and happy evening full of laughter and well fed people! We also served lots of hoagie sandwiches, chips and vegetables with about 8 different flavors of soup. We served lots of juice and hot chocolate.

I want to thanks our gracious hostess Michael at Gollums Design for hosting this fun Foodie Friday party each week and for all of you for your wonderful recipes and friendship. Today was suppose to be a Train wreck in the kitchen.... but mostly it was a TRAIN of tubes going up the lift to the top of the Mountain!:)

Please click here to visit more blogs which have hilarious stories and some yummy recipes to share!

Enjoy a wonderful and safe weekend!

47 comments:

Rattlebridge Farm said...

What a fun filled evening, with such sweet faces! I have been looking for a versatile recipe like this--it sounds perfect!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Thanks for sharing your great recipes this week..you look like you had a fun evening...Happy Friday to you...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Anonymous said...

What fun!! The soup looks so yummy, I'm going to have to try it!! Happy Foodie Friday!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Looks like everyone had a great time..and the soup sounds delicious!

Susan

Marie Rayner said...

Delicious soup and a fun party! I wish I was young again so that I could enjoy tubing down a hillside! I'm at the age now where I'd rather sit and watch, and if I had a delicious mug of your soup to keep me company, it would be perfect!!

susan said...

I am definitely going to keep this recipe. I love soups of all kinds. I'm a beach bum myself, but the party looks like so much fun and perfect for soup!

Alicia Robbins said...

Dear Beth,
Thank you for the recipe, it'll get alot of use around here! I can imagine how much fun you had. I love being around the young adults (ie our missionaries) they are so much fun. Now I know why you are still there and not on your other assignment, these kids need you. You're great.
Have a Lovely Day~
Alicia

P. said...

I like sooo much chese in soups. Sometimes I just add some to any soup, mainly vegetable ones.

Alfazema

Martha said...

Thanks for sharing your recipes. The soup looks yummy! Glad it didn't boil over on the stove!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

LOLOL! Beth, I have been there! Computer takes you away, and you come back to a burnt mess! ...too many times! I had to laugh at this one!

Great pics of the ski trip, so many smiles! :) ...and the recipe sounds delicious!

Have a great weekend! ~hugs, Rhonda :)

Anonymous said...

Beth, thanks so much for the chuckle!! What a fun story. I'm so happy the soup was rescued. And, thank you for the sweet compliment!!

The cheesy potato soup looks so good. I know my family will love it. Thanks for the recipe!

Have a great weekend!

Rue said...

Good morning Beth :)

I've done that too! It's a dangerous habit to blog and cook at the same time ;)

The recipe looks wonderful!

I love tubing and skiing. We haven't done it in almost 4 years and I miss it.

As far as where to go in VA....

The Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts

St. John's Church in Richmond has tours and reenactments

Oh and my personal favorite was the tour of the White House of the Confederacy. You can tour Jefferson Davis' home and the museum. Go here for more info:

http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer?pagename=visit_wh_main

I hope that helps :)

hugs,
rue

~Niki~ said...

Yum! Thanks for that recipe. Looks like a good time had by all.

Michelle said...

Oh my, does that soup ever sound delicious...definitely gonna try that recipe! Looks like everyone had a blast!

Thanks so much for the encouragement you left on my blog...you are always so sweet and I really appreciate it!

Hope you enjoy a wonderful weekend!

Jan said...

My kids call me the soup Nazi. I just love soup. I could eat it everyday. Even in the summer.

Thanks for the recipe and that does look like so much fun. Happy for you Beth.

imjacobsmom said...

Great recipe! I'll never pass up a great potato soup recipe and this one is so versatile! I love tubing and it looks like everyone had a great time! ~ Robyn

Kat said...

This sounds great, and I love the way you can change it up. What a perfect meal for a cold, snowy night. Looks like everyone had a great time. Kathy

Shauna said...

YUMMY! That looks so good! Thanks for sharing :) ♥ Hugs!

bj said...

ooo, I've done the same thing...at least a killzillion times..and not much worse than the smell of burning soup.!!

The Erickson Five said...

You are sooo popular!!! 19 comments wow! Anyway..THANKYOU for the beautiful messages! They helped alot! Any words of encouragement and love are always nice! You are always so kind to me! I now have your email and I will email you! I am reconsidering goimg private...Rics family comes on to see our blog all the time and I didnt think of that when I put up the "going private post"...anyway! Thanks!
Lovee, Stacy

wenderful said...

Yum! My mom always made Bratten's clam chowder growing up. We loved it.
Lambs are still on our list,so you didn't come on too strong. And we don't plan on eating any of the animals on our list. I couldn't do that.
Thanks for befriending my mom on her blog. She's an awesome person. You ought to get together with her in "real life". :)

Nancy Jane said...

You got me with the potato soup! I love recipes that are this versatile! Your Dad was an engineer??? My husband is such a train buff that he would have loved meeting him. Bet he had tons of really good stories...Nancy
PS: love the tube train! have never seen anything like it!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Yum on the soup recipe! Love the different versions -- How did you get that picture of me in my bathingsuit? LOL

SmilingSally said...

I'll bet that last night you were wishing for some of your cheesy potato soup. It sure looks good.

Brenda Pruitt said...

It looks and sounds delightful to me. Who doesn't like potato anything?
Brenda

Elizabeth said...

Beth,

Thank you for the cute story and also for what looks like an incredibly yummy soup...I think I may just make that tonight!!

How is your back?

Take care,Friend -
Elizabeth

Elizabeth said...

Hey, Beth -

Is there suppose to be cheese in the cheesy potato soup? I didn't see it...I will go back and look!

Elizabeth

Pam @ Frippery said...

That soup sounds delicious. Looks like lots of fun was had! Happy Foodie Friday! Pam

Elizabeth said...

Beth!

First - You are sooo sick. I can't believe you whooping cough. Is that like pleurosy? I bet you are hurting your back while you cough. I hope you are well very soon!!

Ok, I'm excited! Your ancestor was in Nash Co???? That's where my MIL's people are from. Do you have names and dates...Wife's name? Dates? Do you know where in Nash Co.? I will investigate for you. I wonder if they could have known each other! I will talk to my MIL. She knows a lot of oral history and we have family history, too!

I know you aren't feeling well, now, but when you have time, get me that info...I could maybe even find out if there were former slaves belonging to your family who were part of the Writers Project.

Okay, try to feel better.
Blessings,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth said...

Another thought...If you can find out perhaps where the plantation was...I could go take pics of it (what is left of it or where it once was) when I go to NC in June. Nash is right next to Orange Co., which is one of the places I will go. I'd love an excuse to go over there!!

Hugs,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Beth, you make me smile. I too have boiled soup over the edge and the smell is awful. Your recipe sounds delicious. I know my dh would love it. I am making a new soup recipe right now. I think I will do Foodie Friday next week.

Your tubing party looks like a blast. Our whole family have done that many times over the years. We love it. Love the photos.

I want to thank you for your sweet comments. I love your thoughts always.

Have a great day...Hugs. Jeanne

Chandy said...

Girl you had too much fun, disaster and not! :-) That soup sounds perfect for any occasion! Yum...

Happy Friday to you!

D C said...

I SO am going to make that soup for my kids. I bet you'll be able to smell the aroma from my house to yours HA! sLuRp! Thank you-you're awesome!! And yay I won the pay if forward, can you believe. Made my night!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Great party, great soup, great post!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Your potato soup recipe looks wonderful! When I see half and half, I KNOW it will be divine!! lol Looks like a fun evening, too! Have a great weekend...Debbie

Elizabeth said...

When you feel better, get back to me. I would love to see if there is any inter-marriage,etc. with Mark's family and/or find out if any of that family's farm survives. Fun stuff!!

Bo said...

Hi Beth...That tubing party looked like quite the event! The girls you pictured are such beautiful young ladies. I may have to cook up a pot of this cheesy tater soup this weekend...but I'll try to not let it boil over...LOL
Happy weekend, ;-) Bo

kari and kijsa said...

Love this! We just wanted to say Thank you!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

nikkicrumpet said...

Good food and a bunch of grateful fun loving kids. It sounds like the perfect makings for a perfect evening. I so miss working with the youth. They are such a joy to spend time with....my callings in Young womens were the best times of my life. I still love and miss every one of "my girls". And I also had the pleasure of teaching the 16 and 17 year olds in Sunday School...again the best calling! Working with our youth helped me realize there was hope for this world yet! Now pass me a bowl of that yummy soup!

Joyfull said...

Thanks for sharing about the mishap, bloggers learn never to keep the camera too far away!! The recipe sounds delicious. Love the pictures of the outing, looked like so much fun!!

Tardevil said...

That looks like sooooooo much fun. Don't know if I could have handled that temp. w/out some soup & hot chocolate! :O) Came by to say that no, I didn't post the birdcage, but I am feeling better! Thanks for checking on me! Have a great weekend. Now, I'm off to copy that soup recipe.

Free Art Printables said...

YUm! I've done that a few times with soup too! Jen

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful versatile recipe.

Great fun evening/day with the young adults.

Lorrie said...

Hi Beth--what a fun time you all had! Thanks for sharing this soup recipe. It looks and sounds really wonderful.

Ashley said...

That recipe looks truly delicious and I want to make that soup soon! And I love the pictures of all the tubes in the snow, that looks SO fun! Makes me miss my college days!

Picket said...

Morning girl...ohhhh I love potatoe soup!!!!! I'll be trying this one for sure! What a great looking bunch of kids...looks like they were having a ball....oh by the way love the cute background you have for Easter! lol Hope the sun is shining on your side of the mountain & that you have a glorious week!

S and L said...

If this was the soup we had at Soldier Hollow I'm in love with it! It HIT the spot after tubing! Thanks for the recipe! We missed you at Skating!