Sunday, March 8, 2009

Attitudes of Gratitude


Our Relief Society President in our ward or church congregation, is Golden Delicious and her name is Marilyn. Relief Society is the women’s organization for our church, 'The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints."
*
Marilyn has been an educator all her adult life including a principal at a large High School and now is retired) has a huge smile and quick hug for all, recently shared this message with us. Please also note she is still single, but not because she has wanted to be. She just never found the right guy for her...YET. :)
She is one of the most positive women I know!
*

She said, "My favorite quotation is
, The more often I have a good attitude, the more often I have a good day.
I find that if I take these words to heart and concentrate on having a good attitude. I do have a good day!" ( Marilyn lives this!)
*
Winston Churchill said, "Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference."

Marilyn recently read an article in a church magazine that takes attitude one step further to " feelings of gratitude." I believe attitude and gratitude goes hand in hand with each other. The article states, "Gratitude viewed broadly, might just be the most important character trait we can develop in mortality. Clearly in itself, it isn’t more important than honesty, integrity, kindness generosity, patience-or a host of other virtues that should be an integral part of who we are.

*But gratitude might be the ONE trait that inexorably leads us to the acquiring and/or developing of all those other characteristics that are so essential. Gratitude-being genuinely, honestly and sincerely thankful for what others have done and of course and most important, for the generous and infinite blessings of a loving Heavenly Father-somehow softens our hearts, allowing that mighty change to more easily come into our hearts."
*
Marilyn recently attended the play, Annie Get your Gun. It was a play where a young 18 year old young man from our church and neighborhood Ryan, was a participant. Marilyn said it was amazing! One of the songs in the play (written by Irving Berlin) goes
"Got no checkbooks, got no banks, still I’d like express my thanks. I got sun in the morning and the moon at night."
We all have so much to be thankful for. Marilyn is an amazing lady and she makes all of us feel good just to be around her!
*
I hope we can express thanks even on the days that might not be good, because there is good in everyday! A Swedish proverb states,
'Those who wish to sing always find a song.'
*
One last thought, "Every thought is a seed. If you plant Crab apples, don’t count on harvesting Golden Delicious!"
*
I hope your week is GOLDEN DELICIOUS! :)
Beth

20 comments:

Jan said...

Those are some of the greatest thoughts. I like her too. She really has such a neat perspective on life.

It is so true about the crab not being golden. It is always how we look at things.

Thanks for this. It is so great.

~Niki~ said...

Right back atcha :)

Deb Robertson Writes said...

That's a great thought to start the week, I just might have to 'borrow' those quote for my blog too!!

Hugs
deb xx

Bo said...

Oh my goodness...Beth, thank you for sharing this post! I LOVED it & will remember it forever more!
;-) Bo

farmerswife17 said...

Thanks for such a positive thought to start out my crazy week! I love Marilyn too and I am so blessed to have her as my visiting teacher. I know just from her smile that she cares and loves me. We are truely blessed to have her in our lives.

Blondie's Journal said...

Beth,

I really like this post as well as the quotes. I never looked at attitude as something so uselful for a good frame of mind but it obviously is. I will remember Marilyn's words.

xoxo
Jane

Anonymous said...

Beth, I have seen Old Faithful and it was amazing. Thanks for your sweet comment today.

Your post today has great meaning. A bad attitude makes for a very unhappy person. It harms so many people as well. I too, wish you a Golden Delicious day. Big smile here. Thanks for a great post.

Hugs...Jeanne

Anonymous said...

This post is so beautiful, Beth!

I hope your week is Golden Delicious, too!

Pancake said...

last night I heard a talk from Mary Ellen Edmunds... she sad she was talking to two women that recently lost their husbands... she said well the best way not to lose a husband is not to have one! SHE WAS A RIOT

nikkicrumpet said...

I was trying to concentrate on this post...and absorb the great perspective and lesson that was there to be learned...but dang I was soooo distracted by that yummy looking popcorn. I guess I'd be grateful too if I had some of that popcorn lol. But I love the idea of that quote...those who want to sing find a song. It's so true.

Mimi Sue said...

Great message. Today our sacrament meeting was presented by our local special needs mutual. It had to be one of the top 5 sacrament meetings I've ever been priviledged to attend. It made me so grateful for so many things. I sometimes get caught up in feeling sorry for myself or take simple things for granted. They all had such wonderful attitudes and each one found a "song to sing". Mimi

Brenda said...

What a great message! Thanks! She sounds like a great Relief Society President! I love Relief Society! I've never been much, I'm always in Primary or Young Woments, but I love the charity and friendship of the women! Great thoughts to think about!

PS. We're hoping to get our call this week! =) I will post it as soon as we find out! Thanks for your sweetness and friendship!

kari and kijsa said...

A beautiful award! Great quote!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Brenda Pruitt said...

That's one smart cookie you've got there in your midst! I so agree, attitude is everything. I was just reading a series of articles in either Newsweek or Time about stress. The moral of the story, if I may so succinctly sum it up was: see the glass as half full and you'll live longer!
Brenda

Shauna said...

Hello sweet friend! Here is my e-mail address:
tryingtostaycalm@gmail.com
Hope you have a beautiful Monday!
♥ Hugs :)

A New England Life said...

I'm all for that philosophy! Granted we all have down moments, or days, but in general I try to look on the bright side. Surrounding myself with positive people makes a difference in my life also.

A New England Life said...

Figures Nikki would be thinking about the popcorn ; )

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Great advice, my sweet friend! Thanks for sharing this, Beth! And I'm ever so grateful that I met you and can claim you as a friend because you are veeeeeeeeery special to me. Love you...

XO,

Sheila :-)

JudyBug said...

It truly is so often our attitude. Sometimes we get what we expect. Thanks for reminding me to hope for Golden and not the Crab.

JudyBug

Anonymous said...

What a lovely positive thinking lady. She sounds like a real inspiration to be around.