Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Monument Avenue in Richmond, Virginia part 1

Enjoy a pleasant stroll though a gorgeous neighborhood with me.

Monument Avenue in Richmond VA is considered one of the most beautiful streets in America. The tree lined avenue is centered with park like islands composed of lush green lawns. The architecture of the charming homes, majestic churches and apartment buildings that line the street are quite intriguing..

Practically each block is introduced by a spectacular monument honoring a hero from the past which gives an European feel to the whole street. It is a lovely street we enjoy walking along when we visit Richmond. I took most of these photos last fall.

The Robert E. Lee Monument
General Robert E. Lee, is related to my husband. My Mother In law's maiden name is Lee. His second cousin, another Robert E. Lee, sang at our wedding.

This is close up detail of the side of the monument.

General Lee sits atop his faithful steed, Traveller. His was the first monument dedicated on the Boulevard in 1890, and 1st stood in the middle of a Tobacco field for several years during the depression.
Almost each block is introduced by a spectacular monument honoring a hero from the past which gives an European feel to the whole street.

It has such lovely homes. We enjoy taking a walk here each time we visit Richmond. I took most of these photos last fall.The J.E.B. Stuart Monument
Major General James Ewell Brown Stuart, a legendary figure of the Confederate army, is considered to be one of the greatest cavalry commanders in America.



St. John's United Church of Christ stands in the background.
The homes were so beautiful. Some were small and quaint, some majestic in size, but each had a personality and style of it's own. I felt like I was walking a neighborhood out of a history book!

I truly loved walking by these beautiful homes and seeing so many had been restored to its original beauty.
They were so inviting I wanted to walk up and ring the bell for a glimpse inside!:-) The flower beds were charming!


There seemed to be a different style home in all directions....
I loved this secluded entrance and wondered what beauties the the gardens beyond held...
This charming home was one of my favorites! The Inpatients were gorgeous and I loved the plant hanging over the brick wall. (Does anyone know the name of the plant? It seemed to grow everywhere. It looked different than phlox.)

The shrubs were manicured to perfection as an open invitation to enter. This was especially charming! I loved the front patio table was all set...ready for early morning breakfast or an evening dinner to sit back and watch of the on lookers like myself! What a perfectly pleasant little place to relax!
The streets and sidewalks were pleasant to see. It is all making me hope for our Spring's arrival!
Monument Avenue, in Richmond, Virginia, memorializes Virginian native Confederate participants of the Civil War. "Monument Avenue Historic District" is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

I will show more photos of beautiful homes, landscape and monuments in this historical district in upcoming posts.

I want to thank Susan at Southern Daydreamer for all her time it takes to host this fun event each week. Please visit her to enjoy more OUTDOOR WEDNESDAY photos and stories.
Happy Outdoor Wednesay!
>

30 comments:

A New England Life said...

Good Morning Beth!

I've been to Richmond but never that part of the city. Plus I went years ago when I wouldn't have even been interested in such beauty.

Oh how those gardens make me long for Summer, and a yard like theirs! Looking at the plants growing over the wall I couldn't help but think of ground Phlox, but there are other creepers so it may be something else.

Thanks for sharing such a pretty area! Hopefully I'll get back there one day.

Sharon

Pancake said...

I love and SO miss all the green in the east! I grew up in the east and SO miss the trees!!!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday Beth! Oh my...what beautiful photos from Monument Avenue in Richmond! I would love to visit there again some day!
Thanks for sharing your photos.

Susan

Elizabeth said...

Hey, Beth!

You've made me homesick! Isn't Richmond lovely? Down by the waterfront is kind of quaint and interesting, too. Did you visit the house of Edgar Allen Poe?

How are you doing? Isn't it lovely outside? It's going to be 70 degrees on Sunday!!!

Blessings,
Elizabeth

The blog of MBW said...

You take good photos and thanks for sharing.

Brenda Pruitt said...

I love the architecture! Always like to see textures of different stones and bricks. Sprawling lawns, pretty little gardens. Just my cup of tea.
Brenda

RobinfromCA said...

Richmond looks like such a charming place to visit. I've never been there. I just love the house with the front porch all set with table and chairs! I've never lived in a house with a big porch and I feel like I've missed something.

Thanks for sharing!
Robin

Brenda said...

Hi there!
Did you get my email I sent you regarding Brandon's mission call! I loved your comment on my blog! I think that is pretty neat you had a premonition!
I love your pictures of Virginia! We plan to visit in a few years! Thanks for your great tour, I love it all! Wow, Monument Avenue is fantastic, so beautiful! I can't wait to see more pictures from your trip! Brandon will be there the end of May! Have a great day! Thanks for the beautiful tour!

Jan said...

I know you asked me to go with you there. I am so sorry I couldn't :)


Oh how I wish.....

That is just gorgeous Beth. How fun and how historic and all the goods wrap into one. Love it. I have to go there sometime.

Anonymous said...

I would love for homes and streets to look like that. A walk would be so relaxing with all the scent of the flowers blooming and the landscapes so beautiful. :-)

Marie Rayner said...

Just lovely! MY Todd would love to visit Richmond as he is a civil war buff!

Bo said...

Hi Beth...I'm late getting over here but I sure would have hated to miss this gorgeous tour... I always wonder what these beautiful old homes must look like inside too. Thanks for sharing your photos & I'm looking forward to seeing more! ;-) Bo

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Beth! This is lovely! I so enjoyed this tour through Richmond. And how neat about the Lee connection! Thanks for sharing with us. Sending love to you today and every day...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

WOW, what a beautiful walk! Thank you! I am betting the past there feels almost "present" huh. :-) BTW, my mom's madian name is Lee. She is a great grandaughter to John D Lee and Aggatha Ann Woolsey. Hummmm. LOL ♥

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Beth, Thank-you for the warm welcome back. I have always wanted to visit Richmond. I loved your tour. Maybe someday we'll make it there. It is beautiful!
Hugs, Terrie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the beautiful stroll! Wasn't General Lee something? I had a book about Mrs. Lee; she had rheumatoid arthritis. Imagine back then, hard.

Thanks again, made me want to go there.

Kevin said...

I am SO sick of Richmond! Get me the heck out of this place....

Brenda said...

Aunt B!
you are so sweet! I would love to surprise Brandon with a package!
Can you email me your son's address. I'm not sure the exact date of when Brandon will arive in Virginia. I'm sure we will find out when he gets into the MTC! Thank you!

Mimi Sue said...

Your pictures of Richmond are so beautiful. Everything is so green. I hope to get back there in the next year or two. She did use mod podge to glue on the paper. You can also use white glue that's diluted with a little water. I'd glue on the magnet part with a hot glue or a super glue though. Mimi

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

The architecture is just phenomenal. I'd be in love if I went there. WOW!

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Love the brick houses. Yes what a wide variety of styles in one place. Fascinating. I wish my garden looked as bright and cheerful.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Beth!
I love hearing about history of our USA ;-)

Beautiful neighborhoods you share with us too!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Thank you for your kind comment,

kayellen

nikkicrumpet said...

WOW...I've always thought Virginia was one of the prettiest places on earth. But I've never been in the Richmond area. What a gorgeous place...and those houses....STUNNING!

honeysuckle said...

I do love the architecture of the homes in the east with their quaint and proper stance. I have not been to that particular area but it does look spectacular! Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog and for thinking of me on my particularly hard day. You are so sweet! About HomeGoods, yes, there is one in the Brickyard Plaza, at least I think that what it is called. It is in the TJMaxx store. I don't get there very often as it is not close. Go, see, shop:-)!!! I hope you find something wonderful!

Picket said...

Loved...loved...loved this tour girl!!!! Oh I would be in hog heaven walking thru that neighborhood...great pics and great post girl!

Ms. Tee said...

Hi Beth :)
Those homes are amazing! And how neat that you're related to Robert E. Lee - wow! THank you for the tour - hope you have a lovely weekend!

Pam @ Frippery said...

How lovely. I wish I was strolling past these beautiful historic homes right now! Pam

honeysuckle said...

Beth, I am so sorry about the whooping cough. That is a bummer! I had it as a child. I guess you get a lot of cough syrup. (Mine had codeine--horray). Good luck and speedy recovery to you!!! I just finished another quilt for Ashley tonight as I talked to her. She is dilating so he should come soon. I will probably have to change my plane tickets from the 31st. Oh well, I can hardly wait to see him! Happy times.

Anonymous said...

Beth,
I am loving the photos of Richmond. It's gorgeous...Love the beautiful flowers and landscapes....Great photos...Sorry I'm late...Better than late than never. Thanks for your prayers for my daughter. Much appreciated...continue to keep her in your prayesr for speedy recovery...she is doing better...Thanks agin...Have a wonderful day..Kathy

Southern Lady said...

Beth, your tour of Monument Avenue makes me want to go see it for myself. It is truly remarkable and I can see why it is in the National Register of Historic Places.

I am so impressed that your husband is closely related to Robert E. Lee. He was a great man and I've often thought about doing a post on him.

Thank you so much for sharing the story of Monument Avenue ... and for giving us a glimpse at all those gorgeous homes.