Her lovely name Grace, fit her perfectly! She lived life with grace, eloquence and love for all those around her. 
She was a beautiful example of the scripture found in Philippians 4:8
"Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest what soever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, what so ever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue , and if there be any praise, think on these things."
"Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest what soever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, what so ever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue , and if there be any praise, think on these things."
Grace passed away peacefully after waging an almost 15 year long & courageous battle with Alzheimer’s disease. She was in a rest home only the last few weeks of her life because dad took such loving care of her until he couldn't do it any longer...

Her dedicated, loving husband and sweetheart, Mont was always at her side, caring for her every need through out their marriage. Their marriage was a legacy of Christ-like love and devotion, and an extraordinary example to us, their family and to their friends. It brought tears to my eyes often, of dad's devotion to this special woman as he cared for her needs.
I inherited her wedding ring when she passed away. I became her first daughter when I married her handsome son, our only daughter also will receive it... someday.:-)
This ring means more than any other worldly thing I could have received from her, because of the great love it represents. I love this lady dearly.For years and especially at the end of her life she didn't know our names or even recognize some of the faces of her loved ones. Yet it means so much to me and I will always be touched by the fact she called me, "Good one."
I feel so blessed to have two wonderful moms in my life.
Grace is my example as I strive to become a mother in law, just like she was to me.:-)
Grace is my example as I strive to become a mother in law, just like she was to me.:-)
*
Mom is the great, great granddaughter of Orrin Porter Rockwell for those of you who know who he was. :-)
Mom is the great, great granddaughter of Orrin Porter Rockwell for those of you who know who he was. :-)
Happy Birthday to our Mom, Grace. Today she would have been 83 years old.
Please visit our sweet hostess, Diane, to see more 2nd Time Around Treasures.

41 comments:
Hi Beth, your mother-in-law was beautiful and your tribute to her was so full of love and admiration. She was just as blessed to have a DIL like you. She will always be with you, with the memory of the beautiful ring she gave you, as well as all the other memories.
Thank you for sharing such a wonderful person in your life.
Hugs...Jeanne
Oh how sweet! I can feel the love you have for each other. You mother in law was so beautiful! What an honor to have her wedding ring...Christine
She was a beautiful woman...and it sounds like the beauty was not just skin deep. It's such a blessing when you have women like that in your life. I hope I too can be that kind of mother in law.
Beautiful tribute, Beth. She was a beautiful lady!
What a lovely tribute and such a wonderful memento to have. It sounds as if she was a wonderful legacy to OPR - one of my husbands all time favorite earthly heroes. Truly a man of great integrity. I'm glad I found your blog today through 2nd Time Around.
Robin@Miscellaneous Thoughts
What a special ring; what a special relationship. Thanks for sharing. Happy Second Time Tuesday.
You can see it in her countenance that she is special, and so beautiful! What a handsome father in law too. You are so lucky to have such wonderful memories of her. Mimi
I love this post. Grace seems like such a wonderful woman. I'm so sorry that she had to endure Alzheimer's. I think that is one of the most difficult ways to go from this life. She is very lovely and you know she looks just like that young picture now.
I'm so happy that you were so close to your MIL. I, too, love my MIL very much. I would like very much to be just like her one day.
Have a great day!!
Elizabeth
What a sweet post. I'm sure she was a one-of-a-kind lady. Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease. I know you must miss her terribly.
What a beautiful post and what a wonderful relationship you must have had with Grace. She must have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's in her late 60's. That's so sad. My Dad has Alzheimer's, but he's 90 and it's only become a problem in the last couple of years. I'm sorry Grace didn't have more good years, but she was certainly blessed with a loving family.
How sweet! What a beautiful tribute to your MIL. You must have loved her emensely. I must say that I do envy just a little the relationship you shared as you know I do have one at all with my MIL. The pictures you shared are so beautiful and you can tell just how happy she was. And the ring....your daughter will treasure it as much as you have, if not more. Such a priceless keepsake.
Have a wonderful evening,
Jennifer
Beth,
This was such a heartfelt post. Your love for Grace was expressed so sincerely I can see why she called you "Good One". What an honor to have her wedding ring, it truly shows how much she loved you.
I too was very, very close to my mother~in~law. She was like a mom and a friend all in one and I miss her everyday.
Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful tribute.
xoxo
Janie
Such a beautiful girl she was.
Alfazema
Hia Beth, I just had to pop in to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_Rockwell as I was curious. :-)
What a lovely relationship your in laws had. They made a handsome couple too. :-) How wonderful that you have her ring to pass to your daughter. It must be like wearing a circle of love when you put the ring on. :-)
Beth, this is so sweet and such a loving tribute to your MIL. No wonder she called you good one! You are so precious. I just hope you know how dear you are to me.
Love you!
XO,
Sheila :-)
Beth... let me know which Pratt line. Mine is through John of Stanford, CT. Wouldn't it be something if we were related??? :-)
Beautiful lady!
Beth what a beautiful tribute. Isn't it wonderful to have great examples to help make us better people. Her ring is GORGEOUS, and made all the more beautiful because of the story behind it. What a wonderful family heirloom and legacy.
hugs
tricia
What a beautiful tribute to your precious mother-in-law....I am sure your were a true treasure to her as well...beautiful post dear friend...loved it!♥
What a wonderful tribute to her. And such a handsome couple. I love old pictures like that. There's just something so classy about them.
What a beautiful tribute to your mother-in-law. Gives me a smile. Thanks for sharing.
Beth, that was such a lovely tribute to your mother in law. She sounds like such a wonderful lady, just as you are. We lost my grandma to Alzheimer's, too, and it can be so hard. Your father-in-law is such a special person for taking care of her for so long. :)
I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday - {{{hugs}}}
She was so pretty. I think both my girls have her magic eyes - the ones you think are brown, but as time passes and you look a little closer they get greener and greener. I hope the Alzheimers gene skips a few generations or just isn't passed on at all.
Hi, Beth - Just stopping by to see if anything else is new...
Today, I gave a big presentation to the fifth grade classes on the Civil War. I was really nervous about it. It went really well, but I am so r.e.l.i.e.v.e.d! Oh, man. I was a little nervous to discuss slavery, because I'm Southern and I didn't want them to think that I was tolerant of all that. I did try to explain that all masters weren't alike, but that the system itself was atrocious. I'm so glad we live in the age of Civil Rights. So, much has changed even since I was little.
Hope you are having a great day!
Blessings,
Elizabeth
Beth, it seems to me you are already as wonderful a lady as this dear lady was...it was so touching to read of her husband's devotion to her & reminded me of a story...a man was very prompt daily to visit his wife with Alzheimer’s disease in a nursing home...when asked why he visited her if she no longer knew him...he said simply,"Because I still know her"...;-) Bo
Dear Beth, This was the first time I stopped by your blog and saw the wonderful tribute to a lovely lady. My own mother is gone now and my husbands mother has dementia. She doesn't remember the recent things, but we have our memories from long ago. Before we came to The Ohio to serve a mission, I got to take her to her medical appointments. We always had a good time together, and it was my priviledge to be able to spend that time with her.
With Love,
Sister Robbins
I am going to try and write this comment while crying, what a wonderful tribute to your mother in law !!! I have always told my children that one of the greatest gifts they could give their mate was to love and care for their mates mother., and it seems that you certainly gave that gift to your husband!!!
My mother in law was a jewel too.
Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Sue
My wonderful ex-mother-inlaw died not quite so peacefully with my arms around her three years ago this May. It was a devastating loss, as she was my mother figure. I so remember your loved one's husband, the young and newer photos of him. Such a handsome one, and with good hair, I recall! He comes to mind in some of your posts about holidays.
Brenda
What a beautiful tribute to such a beautiful woman.. I know you miss her. I can't thank you enough for all your beautiful words, prayers.. hugs ~lynne~
Hi Auntie B!
Your post is beautiful and what a great tribute! I love to do posts of Days gone by and pay tributes to those we dearly love and miss!
Your Mother in Law was certainly a dear soul, you can see it in her kind eyes!
Thanks for stopping by my family blog! I love your comments! They always brighten my day! Hey, feel free to leave a comment on my "give away" for Brandon's mission call! Leave comments anytime for that matter-we all love you!
I would love for you to win!
I would love to meet up with you at Material Girl quilts this summer! My sister and I go there often! Probably more than we should--LOL
What a beautiful post Beth. Your mother in law sounds like she was a really special lady. My ex mother in law was a real sweet heart too. I really miss her. Unfortunately my ex husband's new wife does not want anyone in his family to have anything to do with me. Understandable I guess, but I think it's really sad that after divorce people who have been a HUGE part of your life for over 22 years are just gone . . . Sorry to digress. Thanks so much for sharing your lovely memories of your mother in law with us.
Hi, What a wonderful tribute to what must have been a wonderful woman. She sounds like the perfect angel on earth. Aren't you lucky to not only love your husband but also his mother. He must have looked for someone just like his mother!(Porter Rockwell, wow!) How nice that you still honor her on her birthday too:
ps--I don't have to have my surgery! I'm on anti-inflamatory pills (which I left home) that seem to be working. Thanks for your concern for me. And also next time you have lunch with the "others" let me know. I am sure I would just love you:)and love to meet you in person!
She was a beautiful woman, I am sure you think of her everytime you wear the ring!
I would LOVE to hear your stories of leprosy!
Hey Beth,
I just wanted to comment on your sweet tribute to your mother in law. She sounds like a wonderful lady. You sure took good care of her towards the end of her life. Thanks for your sweet example and loving ways. You are such a great neighbor. I wanna be like you when I grow up!
Kate
She was absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing that touching story! Jen
Lovely Lovely tribute to a wonderful woman. She was a beauty too. I love old photos- especially wedding photos. It is so comforting to me to have my mom and dad's photos above my sewing machine on the wall. It helps to turn to them in times of need.
Hi Beth, What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful lady! She did sound like she fit her name perfectly...Grace! :) And what a wonderful keepsake you have left of her! The ring is beautiful!
From what I know of you, I think she was blessed to have you for a DIL also! So glad you two got along so well! :) ~hugs, Rhonda
I've always thought N- looks so much like her. She was beautiful. In fact she's a perfect combination of you and Grace.
What a beautiful tribute to your mother-in-law. She was clearly physically beautiful, and it sounds like she was beautiful inside as well. My Grandmother fought Alzheimer's Disease, and I know of it's cruelty first hand. What a great father-in-law you have to have cared for her so long.
Thanks for dropping by my blog!
Hi Beth,
This is such a wonderful post for a very special lady!
thanks so much for linking to 2nd Time Around!
Please forgive me for taking so long to get by this week!
What a bittersweet life your mother in-law had. So beautiful and blessed, but it had to be very difficult the last few years. My next door neighbors are dealing with the same thing and I know it's been hard on them as well as his father, who cared for his wife as long as he could. Finally it just wasnt safe anymore. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Happy Birthday to a beautiful lady : )
Post a Comment