It is in my 'make do' craft room!
Jen was an inspiration for me to even try this:)
It was in the refinishing phase for almost three months:-)

These are pictures of the metamorphosis the table went through.
First a coat of black paint,
crackle, white paint,
crackle some more, a walnut stain from Michaels you rub in and then I finished it with a water proof Varathane durable shine...
I really liked it even after just painting the top black!
The crackle was fun to use. My sister showed me if I put a heavy coat of crackle and paint on it will do some crazy things.
It did not disappoint us as all sorts of shapes showed up!
We still have a perfect shaped shoe. Some I didn't care for and so in the large sort of boot shape on the table I actually sanded the table down to the original table top three times:-) It went from a large snake serpent, to the state of Idaho and finally a large boot. And I was trying to get it smaller:)
Oh well, I decided that the third time had to be a charm and whatever it turned out to be, it was staying! It turned out better than I could imagine! I never knew I could do this... It was so fun to be creative in that realm, I am ready to start another project as soon as I have time!

I have had people tell me while I was in the process of finishing the table, they had seen tables like this sell for thousands of dollars in Ethan Allen and other quality furniture stores... Who knew?
This was our first real dining room table we ever bought. My husband was ready to send the table and chairs to Good Will or find someone who could use it. I quickly could envision it's place still at our home. THANK GOODNESS!
The finish really looks almost like a leather top. It is quite rich looking. Sorry, I wasn't able to capture the look with my camera.
A cute memory happened when it was turned upside down and the legs were removed for spray painting.
I found cute little purple hearts our daughter, Natalie at Home Sweet Hideaway drew with a color crayon probably on a bored afternoon while laying under the table day dreaming, when she was around 8 years old:-) I kept it as cherished part of this treasure.
For more furniture makeovers please visit our wonderful and fun host Jen at Sanctuary Arts at Home.
26 comments:
Hi Beth,
Your table is lovely...bet it is perfect for crafts...nice and roomy!
Thanks for being a part of Trash to Treasure!
WOW!!! What a difference! Did you have to sand it down good before painting?? I have always wanted to do that but didnt know how!!!
Holy cow, what a transformation! It looks great. I love that it has purple hearts underneath from your daughter. You should take pictures. :-)
Oh, how sweet that you found that under the table! I know you will treasure that always. I never have gotten that particular technique down.
Brenda
You have so inspired me to start spray painting! I love to see the before and afters of your projects. They always turn out so great!
I sure hope that this week is going well for you. You have a wedding coming up this weekend, don't you?
God bless,
Elizabeth
Beth, stop by when you have time and read the Christmas stories...I love inspiring stories during the holidays. They make me happy!
Blessings,
Elizabeth
Hey Beth,
I LOVE it! That is beautiful...so what color stain did you use? Don't answer that now, please just enjoy your week with family and loved ones...
hugs
tricia
Beth it came out beautiful!! And to find such a treasure under the table is priceless!!:0) Take care!~Wendy
Hi, Beth!
Sure, we can get together after your wedding celebrations are over. Good luck with everything this week! Make lots of memories!
Blessings
Elizabeth
YUP...you'd pay a fortune for that finish in a highend store. I love that antiqued crackle look. You should be patting yourself on the back and doing the happy dance!!!!
That is a pretty sweet looking table! I love that crackle stuff and have used it on small things but never would have thought on a project as large as a table. What a great idea. I wish I had a table to do it to. I better watch the yard sales, oh wait it's winter. Maybe next Summer?
Thanks for sharing a fabulous idea. I love it.
Good job, Beth! Very cool finish!
xo,
Sheila
Oh I love it, Beth! You did a fabulous job on the table. What a fabulous idea to recycle it and keep the first DR table that you had. And I love that you found the hearts. I'm sure memories will just overwhelm you as you craft in your new room.
I know you have a busy week ahead of you. I wish your son and new DIL all the joy and love due them! Enjoy this week and treasure the memories. Thinking of you and your family.
~Jen
Well done Beth, you certainly worked hard on getting the table just right. It looks such a good size for a craft table.
Hi Beth!
Your table turned out so pretty! I'm glad you kept it - and love the story about the little purple hearts. :)
Hi Beth, It was so much fun to watch you transform your table--it looks super. I love the little purple hearts underneath--those are priceless!
I think you did great! I love it! If you like to faux paint, I have all kinds of how to's on my blog under the label Screaming Meme's Faux School...Meme
I love what your did with your table, you would never guess it was the same as the before picture! at the furniture stores those tables are very expensive. well done!
Hi Beth :)
The table turned out beautiful! Even better that you could keep it and have that sweet memory attached to it :)
hugs,
rue
This table is fabulous! I love how it turned out! Thank you so much for joining in the fun! You make every party special! You've inspired me! I think I am going to try this technique! Jen
Simply wonderful!! Very well done! Great job! :) Vanessa
That came out just wonderfully! So rich-looking!
Beth,
Love that table it is beautiful! Hugs, Bobbi Jo
Your table came out great!
-FringeGirl
The table looks like a million bucks but the purple hearts underneath are worth a lot more! Love the whole project!
The Texas Woman
the table is beautiful. You did an amazing job. I love the crackled finish.
Kris
Post a Comment