

I also was saddened by the many lives which were lost in this beautiful picturesque town.
It was where the bloodiest battle in the history of our country was fought and 23,000 lives were lost in one day.
It is said, blood ran down these stone steps like a river on the day of that battle.
I pray our country will be protected and we will never see war again on our blessed home land.
This is the John Brown Wax Museum. John Brown who is a bit controversial as a person, was the first one who fired a bullet which started the Civil War to end slavery.
The town was so peaceful and quaint to walk through. It was pleasant and so enjoyable and we felt like we had almost been taken back in time.
St Peters Roman Catholic Church is a beautiful landmark of Harper's Ferry. It was built before the Civil War and was preserved through the war because a British flag was hung there.
Our little ones enjoying a rest on the steps of this magnificent church building with all the fall mums.
Thomas Jefferson, who stood here on October 25, 1783, on what is called 'The Jefferson Rock', stated "This scene is worth a voyage across the Atlantic".
The church steeple can be seen as you see all three states of Virginia, Maryland and West Virginia. This is where the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers meet. Isn't this Amazingly Gorgeous? Standing here I felt chills and the lyrics of AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL!
From the church looking across to Maryland you can see the train tunnel.
The old homes were fascinating, especially to see how they were built upon even older homes.
Here we are in West Virginia looking across to Maryland
We are now standing in Maryland, looking to our right we see people in West Virginia and across the river is Virginia. The beautiful Church again is in the background on the right in West Virginia and we were able to see all three states at once. This is one of the prettiest places I have EVER ever been to and so RICH in the history of our wonderful country.
It was fun for me to see the first railroad, as my dad was an engineer for the Union Pacific for all of his adult life. 
The railroad here played a huge part in the Civil War delivering supplies to the armies.
Our son Stephen and the beautiful women in his life. I miss these little ones. Happy Birthday Savannah! She turned 7 this week.
I am so glad I could raise my family with my husband
in the land of the free and home of the brave.Freedom is a God given gift, a gift I am so grateful for!
We Americans are so blessed! I salute all those serving right now to keep our land safe.

51 comments:
Beth
This is a beautiful and uplifting post for the morning after an election. We have so much to be thankful for in our country don't we?
You have a beautiful family!
Diane
I have friends that live near there. It is so beautiful isn't it. It is amazing all the different kinds of vistas in the USA. I love the east coast. The green is so beautiful there and you visited at such a lovely time of year. The pictures are wonderful.
I love your pictures! What a great trip you had!!!
Beth!!! I love your post!!!The pics are amazing! Thanks for stopping by!
xoxoxo
Donna
Not only were the pictures beautiful...but the post was inspiring. That is such a beautiful part of our country and it's history is amazing. Thanks for lifting my spirits...I feel better now. God's will be done. We'll make it through...and heck maybe we'll be wrong and he'll end up being a great leader...one can hope!
Beautiful post girl and such gorgeous pics of that countryside..We truly are blessed in this day & time....have a great week sweetie1
Wow how beautiful!! We are so Blessed!! I am so thankful for this country we live in and I am so proud and thankful to those who fought and are fighting for our freedom and safety! Thank you for this post!! have a wonderful Thursday!~Wendy
Beautiful pictures Beth. I'm so glad to see such an uplifting post. To think we have the first black President Elect. The price we've paid to get here was huge. :-)
What an inspiring post featuring one of the most picturesque photos I've seen in a long time! I've never had the opportunity to visit there, but Hubby has and really wants us to travel there soon.
Cindy
Wow, those are gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing them! I would love to be able to travel in the East!
What a beautiful place! It sounds like a great vacation!Thank you so much for the nice comments you left and the award! I did a post last week on it and It really meant a lot to me! Your family is lovely!
Oh, Beth, I am so homesick. You're beautiful pictures of Harpers Ferry have brought me back to my roots. You know, my family is from NC, but Daddy was in the Coast Guard. During the last years of high school, he was stationed in Northern Virginia. He later retired in Charlottesville. Now, he lives near there in Waynesboro. My sister in in Annandale.
One of my very favorite haunts, I've been going there for many years, is Harpers Ferry. Did you have lunch in the Hilltop House? It is the white hotel at the highest point on the hill, overlooking the town. The have the best fried chicken. Did you walk along the towpath, across the river from the town?
I have been to all of the places you named and found them all beautiful and inspiring.
I have a problem with John Brown, though. He has been idealized because he was on the morally correct side of the slavery issue, but he was a violent extremist. He once macheteed (sp?) a man to death, because he disagreed with him over the slavery issue. I think that was/is wrong. Slavery is very wrong, but murder is wrong, too.
I have to say, having grown up in the South, that the whole issue of color and prejudice has changed dramatically in my own lifetime. For this, I am deeply, deeply grateful.
Have a great day, Beth!
Elizabeth
P.S. (Wow, $50,000 is a lot to donate, regarding the Youngs. While I was in LA I had a number of sweet friends, who were gay. I met them at work. I always tried to be loving while maintaining our moral values. I still feel that way, but I cannot go against the Prophet. Did you know that, through a satellite broadcast, he personally appealed to all California saints to support Prop 8? Gosh, I can't imagine just closing one's ears to that.
These are tremendous times!)
Elizabeth,
We did walk the beautiful paths. It kind of reminds me of what England must look like in Jane Austen's novels.. I had over 150 pictures.
I wish we would have known where to eat... Next time we will know where to go, because I want to return... My son worked in a Vision Therapy practice in Annadale and now is branching out on his own in Idaho. They almost bought a home 30 miles from Harper's Ferry closer to where the other two practices were.
It is one of our grand children's favorite places to visit.
Did you get snow? We got about 4 inches and had to have the neighbor take out our trash out this morning. We couldn't get the containers through the snow on the drive way:)
My husband will be in for a surprise when he returns from Hawaii!:)
Would you email me?
cdotannie77atmsndotcom
Yet, I feel so much hope in our future and pray all America will come together and protect this great country.
Let's pray the economy gets better and jobs are created for all those in need, including your husband!
Beth
What a beautiful post with gorgeous pictures! Talk about memories!
I've only been to West Virginia once and it wasn't the good part. How could I not have heard of Harpers Ferry before? I can just see the rich history in your photographs.
The train tunnel/railroad is really cool and I love the picture of you with your husband at the end : )
What beautiful photos! I love how quaint the town is.
Carrie
Hi Beth, what a beautiful place. I love feeling history under my feet too.
How's the wedding prep coming?
So lovely to hear your news about discovering family- and you have so much in common too. I am so happy for you.
Thank you too for your kind comments.
This is a wonderful Outdoor Wednesday post, Beth.
I love being an American too!
Beth
I love your photo's tonight. They are breathtaking. Reminds me of Vermont a little.
We are Canadian and used to live in the South. My children were shocked while in Natchez . We were touring in a horse drawn carriage. The driver told us some horrible things about racism. Now my children were 8-6-4...and had never encountered any type of prejudice, they still do not at 20-18-16.
ok I'm rambling.
Happy OW
Love Claudie
Happy Outdoor Wednesday Beth
What a wonderful post on Harpers Ferry...I enjoyed seeing all the photos of the area and your family!
Thanks for sharing your photos.
Susan
Beautiful post, Beth and you have a beautiful family!...Christine
Amazing photos! Instead of looking for Waldo, I needed to look for the railroad tunnel. Lovely family.
Joyce
What a beautiful post! Your pictures are gorgeous, I just love the church. And the landscape really is breathtaking. Kathy
Morning Beth..what a fantastic post!!!! I loved seeing it all and that pic at the end was beautiful girl!!!! Love the new header pic you got on here...can't wait to see some green in my back yard again...hope you are having a great week dear friend!
Gorgeous pictures! America certainly had to go through a lot to gain their freedom, just like every country who fought for their freedom. It's too bad that blood had to be the currency to purchase it.
Beth,
I am so touched by this post,I too am so thankful to live in this country!!! I hope that as a nation we never forget the price that was and is still being paid so that we can enjoy the freedoms that we have!!!!
The pics. are beautiful, I so love towns that keep their heritages.
Blessings,
Sue
Hi Beth...this is a part of the country I have never had the pleasure of visiting...I sure would like to someday! Your son & family look so happy... ;-) Bo
Beautiful pictures..I love the Jefferson Rock and the stone stairway..and the big rocks on the hill...I guess I like the rocks! lol
Beautiful pictures and a beautiful family. I am grateful for all the men and women who made our country the free land it is today. Thanks for sharing. Maryrose
Harper's Ferry is beautiful dressed it autumnal plumage. I haven't been there but I've been to many other sites of battles in the War of Northern Aggression and they are sobering indeed. Lovely post!
Beth,
I may have mentioned before that Harpers Ferry is one of my favorite places. Every time I go back East to see family, my sister and I go the HF to walk along the tow path and to enjoy a meal and the view at the Hilltop House.
An interesting fact about John Brown is that, although he was on the correct moral side on the issue of slavery, he was a violent fanatic. I was horrified in my studies of the Civil War to learn that he machetied a man to death because they disagreed about slavery. He chopped him up. He was very violent, but we don't talk about that aspect of him. Instead, we memorialize him because he was correct about abolishing slavery. However, I can't look at him without feeling sick now that I know this.
Interesting side fact...John Wilkes Booth was in the regiment that arrested John Brown in Harpers Ferry. Wierd,huh?
I love history!
Elizabeth
Hia Beth, since seeing these pics before I've read "Gone with the Wind" so I've learnt a little more about the American Civil War. It is so wonderful that people gritted their teeth and got back on with rebuilding your country.
It is beautiful there. My Mother served her mission to NC and spent almost her entire time in V. They were able to travel around some and she went to Harper's Ferry. I have to tell you this, one day I pulled up your blog to show one of my daughters something, and my 12 year old saw your back yard and wanted to know if it was a golf course! LOL. He lives in this dry old desert and didn't know yards like your exsisted! Yeah, I know, we need to get out more! LOL
♥ Lewaina
Dear Beth
6 whole minutes??...I thank you for being so very patient.
You should upgrade you browser to the latest version. I have found people with older versions of Internet Explorer have that problem....it's free...give it a try and let me know what happens. I try to tell everyone, but some are scared to do anything about it.
Thanks again Beth.
Love Claudie
xoxo
Beth, this post is awesome. You are right about the beauty in these three states. We must be thankful we live in a free country. Countless Americans died and were injured to preserve our freedom over the years.
Thank you for a lovely and inspirational post about our country.
Hugs...Jeanne
Beth, you combined everything I love in one post! The pictures are stunning, I adore history and like you, hope war doesn't touch our land again. I love my country!
JudyBug
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog. I'm glad you got a kick out of M& M. I enjoyed your photos! Looks like an interesting town. Happy OW!
What gorgeous scenes! I've never had the privilege of visiting there and wish I could (especially now after reading your post). I, too, am struck with numbers like 23,000 dying in one day. It is hard to fathom, isn't it? I am so grateful to those individuals that gave us the freedom that we enjoy today.
Cindy
What a wonderful display of pictures! I am also very patriotic and love history! It makes me want to hope in my car and go straight to West Virginia! I also love your quote from Sister Hinckley! What a sweet lady she was!
Thanks for such a great tour - I haven't ever been to these places you showed. Makes me want to visit!
Thanks for sharing, Paula from Idaho
Thank you, Beth! You are so sweet. And what gorgeous pics you are sharing today.
This is strange, some of your comments today are dated Nov. 5, 2008. Wonder what's up with that?!
Beth, first of all, your family is gorgeous (with you being the fairest of them all)! You knew the president of your fan club would say that, didn't you? ;-)
I came by this morning, but I wanted to take the time to comment slowly and to re-read this at a more leisurely pace. I've never been to Harper's Ferry, but I have been to Virginia and Maryland.
I do genealogy research, and I had a number of ancestors from Virginia (and a few from Maryland... the Fell family, Fell's Point in Baltimore... they were Quakers), but the Virginia branches left there before the Civil War. Nearly all of them fought for the South in other parts of the South while others on another line were there in Viriginia to fight for the Union (one was wounded there in the cavalry and the other was a surgeon).
That war was so horrific in so many ways, and having grown up near battlefields, it is something I lived with daily as a child. I wish it had never happened. There were church pews and floorboards that were so soaked with blood from one church being used as a hospital that they pratically had to rebuild the church afterwards.
I'm sorry that things couldn't have come to a peaceful conclusion, but like Lincoln said as he quoted the Bible, a house divided against itself cannot stand. It had to happen to forge the union tighter and to spell freedom for everyone.
The eeriest thing, though, was when we visited one of my distant cousins in Virginia and then got home to recieve some genealogy info on Mr. Magpie's paternal line. His German family walked off the boat and straight into the Civil War, and apparently his German ancestor wrote a letter in German to his sister in the Deep South from the battle front in Virginia. Turns out it was written from only a few miles of where we'd visited my cousin in Virigina! She also lives near our ancestor's (an English colonist) and another one of Mr. Magpie's ancestor's (an English colonist) original land grants. That was fun to discover.
I could get lost doing genealogy because the past is as real to me as the present, loving history the way I do.
That particular English ancestor saved the colonists in Jamestown from being completely wiped off the planet by the Indians. Apparently, Oppecancanaough (sp) had planned to kill all of the colonists up and down the James River and had enlisted the help of all the tribes. Chanco was a servant and had become a Christian, and he was living in my ancestor's (who had been very kind to Chanco and treated him like a son) house. Chanco told him about the attack because he couldn't bear to see him killed. So he was able to warn the colonists at Jamestown.
Something like 342 men, women, and children were killed in the attack up and down the James, but no one in Jamestown was killed due to the warning! That to me is a real lesson in kindness and humility and how far they can go toward reaping real rewards. If he had not been kind to Chanco, who knows what would have happened!
I won't bore you longer...
XO,
Sheila :-)
Thank you for an interesting and informative post. The photos and your descriptions made me feel as though I was with you.
Kathy b
These photos are amazing. I love the first one, Harpers Ferry, it looks like a toy community. Anyway, these are all amazing pictures and thanks for the history too.
Beth, do you have any Whipples in your genealogy line? John Whipple of Ipswich was the progenitor of many New England lines. Other NE surnames: Stone, Pratt, Pond, Potter, Williams (as in the Rev. Roger), Waite, Wells, Bunker (as in Bunker Hill)... any of those sound familiar? We need to compare notes. :-) I've found that the most well documented lines seem to be in NE, quite possibly because so much of the South was burned during the War.
Wonderful place, so beautiful.
Alfazema
I didn't know it was so beautiful on the East Coast! Thank you for sharing this. Now I have a new place to add to my list of "must see" places. :)
What a lovely post...and the pictures were breath taking! I love West Virginia but have never had the pleasure of visiting Harper's Ferry. It is a gorgeous place and I hope to see it myself some day. Thanks for this wonderful post.
Beth,
Sorry I am so late in visiting you. Your pictures from your trip are just beautiful and haunting at the same time (your family, however is lovely!).
I have not had the pleasure of visiting many of the historical parts of the south, but West Virginia seems to be a good place to start.
The comments to your post were very interesting. The Civil War accomplished very little, and for as much as we can learn from history, we can also remain divided as long as we feel our beliefs should be shared by everyone. I pray that we can all find common ground so that we can be united in such turbulent times.
Thanks for sharing Beth!
xoxo
Jane
Thanks for the tour of WV. I really enjoyed enjoyed it.
-FringeGirl
LOL... :)
I have walked those streets my friend :) And you were OH SO CLOSE! :)
LOL
Hi! I had a visitor recently on TPF thanks to you! I just wanted to take a moment to tell you I'm grateful you took the time to link to me on your blogroll. THANKS!
Your Harper's Ferry photos are absolutely amazing. WOW.
Have a wonderful week!!!
Post a Comment