Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Traditional to Contemporary with an Award!

For my Trash to Treasure this week I wanted to share a picture my sister did for our basement family room.
My sister Kate moved into our basement us last year. She and her daughters have their own bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and the large Family Room which is contemporary in style. It sports a bright Red Tomato accent wall. She had more traditional furniture with aqua, brown and black accents. So the hunt began to make the room look and feel like their own without spending much money.
This used framed art was a great find. Although the picture was pretty, it wouldn’t go in the room.


She found this great print at Michael’s for just a few dollars on a sale. She turned the original picture around, spray painted a used mat, black . She added the New Print for a whole new Contemporary look for just a few dollars and Whaa Laa! Our basement looks great with all her wonderful talents!
For more 'Trash to Treasures' go visit Diane at A picture is worth a 1000 words, where she is hosting this event each Tuesday.

And I received this award from a darling lady Melanie from the United Kingdom who I met when I first started blogging, five months ago. She is sooo talented! She posts marvels from cooking, sewing and decorating. She is awesome about showing us around her beautiful Kingdom. I love the journeys she takes us on. Please pay our 'Jelly Bean Angel' a visit!
I want to pass this award to a talented Photographer, Sharon who has posted some incredible photos of New England in the Fall.
And to my friend Cindy of Rosehaven who shared wonder insights to, 'What Kind of Pumpkin are You?' She also is an amazing Photographer and writer.
Last, but certainly not least, I have been impressed with all of YOUR Fall decorating ideas so I want to pass this wonderful award to all those who reads my blog, so you can pass it to those who you have enjoyed. You are awesome! Thanks for the inspiring ideas you share:)

13 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

That must be one big basement! I'm so glad you were able to accommodate her family. We all need one another in this world to help us out a bit. You have a big heart.
Brenda

Missy Wertz said...

Very nice re-do! Very nice.

Gone said...

Very nice...I like the change!!

Thanks for the visit and the comments. Rub 'n Buff is some wonderful stuff. It comes in a wee little tube...in alot of different colors. Michaels, Joanne's and Hobby Lobby carry it, but only in a few colors. You can order it on-line at:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz271/02/

Congrats on the award, too!

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Thank you SO MUCH for the award but more importantly for the wonderful words you left at Flickr and Rosehaven Cottage! I really needed your words this morning. You have NO idea! And when all the wedding stuff is over and done, I'll give you some Flickr pointers. I've finally navigated around it enough to that I think I know what I'm doing somewhat.

Love and hugs,
Cindy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Followed the link from Diane's blog and enjoyed your T to T post. Thanks for sharing that special treasure with us and your home with your sister and her family. You sound like a sweetheart!

Sheila :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Beth,
I really love the transformation! The new 'art' work is very eye catching and chic!

Thanks for playing along!

Darlene said...

That picture re-do turned out fabulous!!!! I really LOVE it...Congrats on the award!

Anonymous said...

Beth, I loved your description of your basement and all the work that was done to make it special for your sister and her daughters. My daughter used that tomato red color in her kitchen. Beautiful color. The picture was beautiful and very up to date after the makeover. Good job.

Congrats on your award.

Hugs...Jeanne

Lorrie said...

Thanks for the visit! How neat that you're able to have your sister and her children live with you. It sounds like they had fun with this picture makeover!

Picket said...

First I think it is wonderful of you to be there for your sister and her family..and the artwork is gorgeous...I know she loves and appreciates how you have tried to make her feel at home...take care girl.

nikkicrumpet said...

very smart to recycle the art!!! Great idea.

Ms. Tee said...

I somehow missed this post! I also wanted to tell you thank you for your sweet comments about my sister, too. :) It's sweet of you to have your sister move in - she did a great job with that picture, too.
The trees that are in my photo with the pumpkin bread are in Georgia - although I was born in Virginia! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture! How good of you to home your sister and her family. It looks like a lovely home for them. I hope it brings you closer as sisters.

Thank you also for your kind comments. I'm so glad you like my blog.