Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Monument Avenue in Richmond VA Part 2


Monument Avenue runs through the heart of Richmond's historic Fan District. It is one our America’s most beautiful boulevards and is the only street in the United States that is a National Historic Landmark. I enjoyed my walk through this beautiful area while my husband was on a conference call for work in the car.:)



The type and style of architecture varies greatly which line the avenue... I could almost feel the history of this special area. I loved the old homes! And of course all the monuments.:-)



Jefferson Davis Has the largest monument on the avenue. He was the first and only President of the Confederacy. His monument is lined with a row of thirteen Doric columns, representing eleven seceding states and the two states who sent representatives to the Confederate Congress.

I borrowed these pictures of Davis's monument from google as the lighting was much better than in my photos!



Robert E. Lee's monument is the first to line the avenue.

I decided to walk down a neighborhood and found these beautiful homes.

This next one was one of my favorites. The landscaping was beautiful.

It beckoned me from across the street.

The gate and seating area just inside looked so inviting.

It was the well trimmed Ivy which captured my attention. Look how the ivy has been perfectly trained to grow on the brick fence.

Then I loved the beautiful pattern of ivy on the garage. We grow Ivy and I can't imagine the hours and patience it must take to keep it growing so perfectly.

Oh, then these adorable window boxes! You just have to love the landscaping of the south!
Notice the cute squirrel on the sidewalk... They were everywhere!
So charming!


My post wouldn't be compete until I shared with you, Stonewall Jackson's monument.

Did you know Lieutenant General "Stonewall" Jackson's full name was Thomas Jonathan Jackson. Jackson was given the nickname for bravery at the first Battle of Bull Run, "standing like a stone wall."

There are more monuments and so many more beautiful homes. I hope you have enjoyed the tour of this beautiful area, the richness of our nation's history and ambiance of the Monument Avenue in Richmond VA.

A huge Thank You to Susan at a Southern Daydreamer for hosting Outdoor Wednesday. Please pay her a visit to see more pictures of the beautiful Out Doors.
***************

What ever your weather is I a hope you are enjoying it! :-)

Love, Beth :-)

20 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

Oh goodness, Beth, I hope it turns out okay! Please let us know.
Brenda

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday Beth! Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing your photos.~ Susan

PS Will keep you in my prayers!!

Elizabeth said...

Cheryl -

I am so sorry that you are sooo ill. What would cause all that to be in your lungs..? Did your doc say what would cause that?

I love these pics! One of my ancestors was in the group of men that mistakenly shot "Stonewall" Jackson. He was a wonderful man with much face, but part of a terrible ordeal!

Love Richmond. Will have to take my children there in June!

Let me know how you are!
Elizabeth

Picket said...

Oh sweetie...I am just now getting by here...I know how easy it is to let thoughts get into our spirit but you look for that good report girl....whatever this is..I agree with you in prayer my sister that God will be the Lord of this situation...I ask that He breathe on you even now from the crown of your head to the soles of your feet...let every cell and fiber of your being be made whole...may you feel His healing power as you take a deep breath and feel the glory of the Lord saturate your lungs....may he do a recreative miracle in you and may this all come to naught...may you find a renewing of faith and stength like never before...according to your word Lord...in Jesus name I pray..

when having done all Beth...stand...just stand...there is a rustling in the Mulberry Bush...ohhhh sweet Lord...He knows your name dear friend.

Brenda said...

Beth my dear, you are certainly in my prayers! I will be thinking about you. Please let us know when you know your results. You brighten my days!

I love your pictures of Virginia! It brings smiles to my face to think my son will soon be there!

Best of luck to you! Hugs and best wishes to you!
Love, Brenda

RobinfromCA said...

Oh, Beth, I will absolutely keep you in my prayers - and get you on that prayer roll.

I love your pictures from Richmond. I'm especially fond of the patterned ivy. What a task! Just lovely.

Robin

Light and Voices said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Joyce

Marie Rayner said...

You have my prayers for sure Beth! Hoping all turns out well. Loved the second part of your visit to Monument Ave in Richmond. I would love to visit it myself one day!

Anonymous said...

Aaaawww a stroll in these kind of neighborhood must be really enjoyable.

And you're right, the ivy pattern on those walls are amazing!

Thanks for these tour but how I wish I can walk through this neighborhood :-)

Jan said...

Thanks for the lovely stroll down your neighborhood. I am in love with it. I really love brick and vines. This VA is spectacular in both areas. You are so blessed to be surrounded by beauty and history. I am so grateful for the history of this country.

Thanks for sharing Beth. And happy belated birthday it looks like.

Bo said...

Hi Beth...First of all, I want you to know you are being prayed for at this very minute & also the medical team who will work with you. God knows your name & listens. Please let us know how you are!
Seeing the beauty in your photos was a gift from you to us...thank you dear lady! ;-) Bo

The Quintessential Magpie said...

BETH! Of course you have my prayers! I'm late catching up on blogs, and I had thought I had read yours! My prayers are up right this minute for your healing!!!

Loved your pictures but love you more!

XO,

Sheila

Anonymous said...

You got it Beth hun. Hugs.

Thank you for a wonderful tour of Richmond. I'm with you on the fantastic ivy pruning.

Tink *~*~* said...

I'm a fan of the trained ivy too - but don't know that I'd have the patience either. I hope all will be well with you.

Tink *~*~*
Flower and Garden Festival Surprise

Ashley said...

Wow those are gorgeous photos! I have got to do more traveling back East for SURE!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What beautiful pictures! I love all of that architecture. How fun!

XOXO
Jen

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Beth, PTL that you're okay!!! Oh, I'm so relieved. I was going to wait till you posted again to post, but I decided to post on here because I'm doing a happy dance! :-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

nikkicrumpet said...

Love the trained ivy...and the other gorgeous pictures. What a beautiful place...so clean and well kept. I sure hope you're feeling better. Take care of yourself and know that you are in my prayers!

Ms. Tee said...

Thank you for sharing your tour, Beth. The ivy pattern on that wall was just lovely. I hope that you are feeling better soon! :)

tiki_lady said...

those homes are gorgeous! I would love for ivy to grow like that but I barely have patience for fake flowers!