Thursday, April 9, 2009

Springtime Lemon Pocket Cake and Easter Cookies

For Foodie Friday my thoughts have been of springtime and celebrating Easter. I made this delicious cake
last Sunday and it was all gone
before I remembered to take a picture of
a slice to show you the delicious pockets of pudding inside.
Our little ones loved it!
~
Springtime Lemon Pocket Cake
1 Pkg Lemon Cake Mix as directed
1 Pkg cooked Lemon Pudding or 1 can Lemon pie pudding.
1 pkg Cool Whip softened.
1 can Lemon frosting (Optional)


Make the cake as directed and pour into a prepared 9x13 cake pan.

Make the pudding and spoon the lemon pudding by tablespoons evenly over the batter. Bake at 350 until it is light brown or use the toothpick test.

The pudding will be boiling in the pockets when you bring it out of the oven..

I used the ingredients I had on hand for the frosting and used the left over cooled pudding to gently fold into the softened cool whip... Frost the cake. I had a lime and so I used a lime to add a little color on top.

It really was very wonderful and light.

The lemon frosting would probably make it more lemony and richer.

This cake makes an excellent spring time treat or a wonderful addition to your Easter Celebration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EASTER SCRIPTURE COOKIES


These are perfect cookies to make with children helping them understand the importance of Easter. It is very important to make these Scripture Easter Cookies the Evening Before Easter with them.
1 cup whole pecans
1 tsp vinegar
3 egg whites
Pinch salt
1 cup sugar
Ziplock bag
Wooden Spoon or rolling pin
Scotch or adhesive tape
Bible

Preheat oven to 300 degrees at the beginning... This is important! Don`t wait until you`re half done with the recipe to preheat it.

1. Place the pecans in Ziplock bag and let the children beat them with the wooden spoon or rolling pin to break into small pieces. Explain that after Jesus was arrested, he was beaten by the Roman soldiers. Read John 19:1-3
~
2. Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 tsp vinegar into mixing bowl. When Jesus was thirsty on the cross, he was given vinegar to drink. Read
John 19:28-30
~
3. Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life. Jesus gave his life in order to give each of us our life. Read
John 10:10-11
~
4. Sprinkle a little salt into each child`s hand. Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl. This represents the salty tears shed by Jesus` followers, and the bitterness of our own sins. Read Luke 23:27
~
5. So far, the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1 cup sugar. The sweet part of the story is that Jesus died because he loves us. He wanted us to know and belong to him. Read Psalms 34:8 and John 3:16
~
6. Beat with a mixer on high speed for 12 to 15 minutes until still peaks are formed. The color white represents the purity in God`s eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus. Read Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3
~
7. Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto a wax paper covered cookie sheet. Each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus` body was laid. Read Matt. 27: 57-60
~
Put cookies in oven, close the door and turn the oven OFF. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door. Jesus` tomb was sealed.
Read Matt 27: 65-66
~
8. GO TO BED. They may feel sad to leave the cookies and not have them tonight. Jesus` followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed. Read John 16: 20&22.
~
9. On Easter morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow! On the first Easter, Jesus` followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty. Because He
lives. Read Matt 28: 1-9

I made these cookies once with our children when they were young and just re-found the recipe. The cookies left a huge impression in their little hearts and love for our Savior Jesus Christ. I
hope you are all enjoying your Easter Preparations. :-)

For more Foodie Fridays please visit Michael at Gollum Designs, our fun and talented hostess who shares her many talents and adorable personality with us each week. Thank you, Michael!
I want to wish you each a wonderful and Happy Easter this Year.

21 comments:

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

This is wonderful Beth. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

Pattie D said...

I love this! I was introduced to this after my kids were too old to appreciate the excitement of these. (you know very late teens)...anyway, I can hardly wait to have grandkids that will find these fun...thanks for sharing this with all of us. HOpe your Easter weekend is a great one!
hugs
tricia

Jen said...

What a WONDERFUL idea! I love it! Glad I stopped by and you gave me this great idea to use with my daughter.

susan said...

Your cake looks wonderful and one that I know I will try. I wish these recipes were printer friendly!! I love the meringue recipe with its story. Thanks for sharing and Happy Easter.

Brenda said...

Just surfing blogs and came across this one. Love it! The cake reminds me of a cake my mom used to make.

The Stylish House said...

What a fun and creative way to teach our “most valuable resources” such an important message. I also love your lemon cake recipe; it looks like a good one! Wishing you and your family a Happy Easter. This is my first time to your site, I am viewing Foodie Friday….~Cathy~

Anonymous said...

this cake looks wonderful! i'm going to try it SOON!

SmilingSally said...

I love this idea of teaching the story of Easter while baking.

I like those pretty eggs you've shown too.

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

What a beautiful cake, so simple and yet it's beautiful! My kind of cooking!

I will keep the scripture idea for when my grandson gets a bit older. What a lovely idea. Thanks for sharing and I wish you a Blessed Easter...Barb

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Your cake looks so good - and what a keeper that Easter cookie recipe is...now that's one to tuck away for the grands.

Kathleen said...

That cake is beautiful, and I am saving the cookies to do with my little grandchildren..
Thank you, and a blessed Easter to you..

nikkicrumpet said...

That cake looks awesome. And I love the idea of something light like that. But the scripture cookies are my favorite...how much fun would that be! It would almost get me to bake!

Rhonda said...

ANY recipe with lemon is my favorite. I am going to try this one. We all love lemon around here.

We have done the scripture cookies many times and I forget to do some of the fun traditions that we did so much with our 4 daughters, and so I really should pull them all out for our son Elijah.

This was a great motivator for doing just that.

susette said...

What a refreshing looking cake that is. I love anything lemon or lime.

The cookie thing is brilliant. I wonder if my big boys would enjoy that. I just might have to try it out. Thanks for sharing a delightful Easter memory with us.

Happy@Home said...

The cake looks so pretty and sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I look forward to trying it this spring.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I see what you mean about thinking along the same lines with the lemon cake :) Wonderful cookie idea.

Happy Easter!

Jan said...

That is the prettiest thing ever Beth. Just lovely. You have the best ideas and spirit about you. Just love it.

You have the best weekend for Easter dear lady :) Take care.

Brenda said...

That lemmon cake looks great! Thanks for advertising, you're a sweetie! I'll take whatever advertising I can get! =)

How are you doing? Are you feeling better? Keep me posted!
Have a great Easter! =)

Hugs and best wishes!

Rue said...

Hi Beth :)

I swear I could gain wait just reading all these food posts LOL That cake looked delicious!

I hope you and yours have a wonderful Easter :)
rue

Joyce said...

Thanks for visting my blog. Yes we certainly were both thinking lemon. your recipe sounds so refreshing. Have a blessed Easter.
Joyce

A New England Life said...

Whats with all the delicious food on your blog? I've been trying to think of what I'm going to make for dessert today and I think I just found it. Seriously.

Happy Easter friend : )