Saturday, October 24, 2009

A WARM FUZZY HUG with Turtles and Frogs

“Those who sleep under a warm handstitched quilt, are lucky little ones who sleep under a blanket of love.”
Unknown


It's finished! A tradition I have for each new grand baby, is to hand quilt them a quilt of ‘Love’.

Remember, when I posted this fabric and asked you, what you thought I would be making? Many of you guessed  right!
 A quilt for our new little grandson.
I thought it would have been finished before his birth!   Then ‘Life happened’ and my FIL needed much time and attention and tiny A.J. made a sudden appearance before he was suppose to.


Our grandchildren call them call them, their "Love Quilts." I want their quilts to be a giant, warm fuzzy. A HUG of love, to bask them in warmth and security.

To provide fun as they build forts or just snuggle up and watch TV ... or when they feel sad to feel mine and Papa’s arms around them, holding them tight and protecting them from the storms of live.

{A Warning! I ran into a number of problems in making this one!
For those quilters and crafters out there, I want you to know, BE WARE of some of the mishaps I had using a new ‘bonded iron on batting.’

  It says you can press it to the fabric and it will stay secure, while quilting.
I had a difficult time even getting the needle to quilt through the batting and then can you see where the glue from the bonding caused dark STAINS? Some are up on the left side in the middle of the green strip? Errrr!}

After hours of quilting, I decided to unpick all the stitches and not only replace this green strip of fabric with a new one, but I also had to replace the batting, with the regular batting I have always used.
So I had to start all over!
I am thrilled it is finally finished and swaddling our precious new  baby boy!

The quilt was worth it and so is our sweet baby A.J.!!!
I caught this precious moment with him and his daddy two weeks ago when visited them. 
 On that Sunday we watched as he daddy gave him a tender and  beautiful blessing at church.
~
We want to congratulate his daddy. This week he received a 'Fellowship' in Vision Therapy in Denver, Colorado, at a Optometric conference of continued education for Optometrists.
He took his written exam on Tuesday and was so relieved when he passed.  He passed his oral exam on Wednesday with flying colors!

We were thrilled his wife and little A.J. were able fly to Denver to be with him when he was presented his Fellowship. Way to go son!!! :-)


I am so grateful for our family and the 'precious GIFT' it is to be a grandma and welcome these sweet little ones into our lives. They bring us so much joy  and merriment.:)

Enjoy a safe and and Happy Weekend!
~♥

20 comments:

~Niki~ said...

Beautiful quilt. So soft and comfy! I used that bonding batting once, never again. Made a big mistake by doing so. Ya, I don't recomend it either. What a sweet pic of your grandson ! I love the minky backing. Nice job 'b':)

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh...on many levels. Your quilt is so beautifully done..what a blessing you are to them and the new baby!
Thanks for the heads-up on that batting, I'm about to start a baby quilt and I want it to go smooth, Yours is so nice.
Congratulations to him for what he has accomplished, thats major!
I love to make quilts for each wedding and each baby, mine may be a touch simpler but I love to do it and each loves them.
Come say hi :D

Pattie D said...

Love love love your quilt!!!! Those fabrics are delightful...I see you too have an eye for color combination! I love that you put minky on that back, it will be soooo soft and warm for him. I love making quilts for my grandbabies and then the best part is seeing them so attached to them! All my little grandsons love their quilts and carry them all over....
Glad you got it finished! It is a BEAUTIFUL finish...
hugs
Tricia

joy said...

Wow, so many neat accomplishments! I love the quilt! I think that's a great tradition. I hope it's not too late to start the quilt tradition for me (Natasha is two). It sounds like your son is a such a great young man. Congratulations on everything! I love and am grateful for family too. Love, Joy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Beth, it is lovely. Your grandson will cherish it, and I know his parents will, too. You are THE BEST. I just hope you know how special you are.

Love you!

XO,

Sheila :-)

CB said...

That is a beautiful quilt and I love the tradition! I might have to swipe that idea when I get to join the grandparents club (wink wink).
Truly a gorgeous quilt of love - I especially love that you put that really soft fabric on the back -I love that stuff (and forget what it is called!).
Beautiful grandson and congrats to your son/SIL (?) on the Fellowship!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

This is adorable beyond words. The fabric choices are simply wonderful!!!
Thanks for sharing the tips you learned. : )
M.L.

Doran & Jody said...

It is way nice!! I wish I had the room so I could learn how to do that. So talented and it looks so cozy and "love"able.

Way to go grandma!

susette said...

It's soooooooooo cute! What a talented lady you are. I have no clue how to even create something so beautiful as this. I love the colors you have combined too. Oh, this just gets me even more excited for our little grandson to be born hopefully this coming week!!!

Lorrie said...

What a wonderful tradition Beth. The love and planning you put into each quilt is a special part of the gift. I hope you have a photo of each one of them each with their quilt.

A.J. looks so sweet. Congratulations to his dad on the Vision Therapy Fellowship! You have a lovely family.

That Janie Girl said...

Beautiful quilt, and beautiful dad and baby!

Marie Rayner said...

What a beautiful tradition and quilt for a beautiful baby! I love it!

Decor To Adore said...

What a beautiful quilt for a beautiful boy!

Please stop by and enter my Halloween giveaway.

Mimi Sue said...

Beautiful quilt and lovely tradition. One of the rewards of parenting is when your son blesses his son (or daughter). Nothing better. The older I get the more touching it is to see all that priesthood power in action. Your kids are something to be proud of. Mimi

jeanne said...

Hello Beth, I am late with mu PS visiting. Not so unusual this month. We are swamped with many visitors. I love the company, I don't love limited time on my computer.
Your baby quilt is beautiful and I know a labor of love. The best kind of love is a grandbaby to love and family too. Blessings to the new parents.

Hugs, Jeanne

Southern Lady said...

What a beautiful (and blessed) labor of love, Beth. AJ is so adorable, and I know he's going to feel your love every time he wraps up in his quilt.

I know you are so proud of him -- and his dad!

Trina said...

I love the colors in that quilt. Makes me wish I was a grandkid not a niece, lol. Grandma called my cell phone yesterday. I never carry it with me on Sundays. I got the message last night at 10pm. Can't wait to call her back today.

We'd have loved to have come to A.J.'s blessing. I had 4 kids with swine flu. Lovely fun. Glad that's over!

Liz Harrell said...

Fantastic quilt!

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful gift to give each of your grandchildren. I know they will treasure it for always! You did a great job on the blanket. It takes such talent and you definitely have it! =) Your new little grandbaby is just too precious. You have much to be proud of. Your children seem to have so many wonderful things going for them.
Enjoy your week,
Jennifer

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Love you much, Beth...

XO,

Sheila :-)