Saturday, July 26, 2008

Summer Stash Quilt

Today was the day I finally was able to start my quilt for the summer stash challenge. Life has been so busy. We counted today that we've had company visit or spend the night (for one family, it was a week) from 7 different states just during the past 3 weeks! We feel like a bed & breakfast Inn and couldn’t have enjoyed it more:) We have had our share of laughter and late nights.

Today while cutting into the jean, I realized I was in for a much larger project than I anticipated! My sister taught me a few tricks today I want to share with all my new friends. When I first started I was cutting my squares from the middle part of the jeans so I wouldn’t break lots of sewing machine needles going through the hard seams. Kate immediately said, " No! That is the wonderferul beauty of sewing with denim and gives it the delicious character you want, you will end up with a BORING quilt otherwise. " Thanks to Kate living with us, we aren't living a boring simple life... :)
So then my creative genes, no pun intended, had to take over and I tried to save all the front zippers, pockets and side seams as part of my quilt squares. If you take a pant leg instead of laying it flat, lay it sideways and cut two squares at one time, you will find you will create quilt squares with an interesting seam somewhere across the square. Wa la several hours later....like practically the whole day... I finally have enough denim squares for the quilt. Now to cut out the other two fabric squares. I am glad I was challenged to particpate in making this quilt because we are getting a new quilt we wouldn't have had otherwise and with all the company we seem to be having lately, it sure will come in handy! Thanks Eileen and Ulla for hosting this challenge.

4 comments:

A New England Life said...

You have so much more patience than me. I could never quilt. Can't wait to see how it comes out! I think the zippers, seams, etc. will really add character!

Ulla said...

Good to see you getting started!

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love having company? We always have great times when family and friends come to visit.

I am looking forward to seeing you finished quilt. Sewing is not a strong point here, but I love seeing what everyone else can do. The denim quilt is going to be very beautiful.

Have a beautiful week,
Jen

Pattie D said...

I love jean quilts! All the fun things you can use off of a pair of jeans to make turn your quilt into a fun surprise. First time I have visited your blog. I am on the summer stash challenge also, just finished my first quilt, hope to finish at least one more...
I love you creed and your beliefs. I'll be checking in occasionally.
Tricia