This week while my husband is away enjoying the beautiful tropical breezes of Hawaii, I made glorious salsa.
It has been three years since I was able to can and our supply was nil. Mr B's eyes have been sensitive to the aromatic fumes of the peppers which date back to seven years ago this week, while filling our jars with salsa, I got news, my older sister Marcia had passed away. It become the hottest salsa ever made in our home! Click here to read the story and a tribute of my sister.
Our own tomatoes haven't produced like we would of liked so I found these beauties at the Farmers market.
From Pamered Chef I bought this tool years ago, which I use often.
It cores the tomatoes perfectly without removing more of the flesh than necessary.
For more Foodie Friday Treats please visit our hostess at Gollum Designs.
If you would like me to share the recipe for this delicious brew we have been serving up for over 20 years and have published in several recipe books, let me know.
Enjoy a great weekend, Beth
A perfect tomato ready to chop!
I love the delightful aromatic smells that fills our home on Salsa Day. This is practically a holiday to our oldest son who can actually devour or drink this stuff like sweet nectar. He is away at dental school and I sent him some, last year of our dwindling supply for Christmas. He told me this week, he is savoring the last bottle because as long as he can see a bottle, he feels secure! LOL
I canned 77 pints and when my little sister Kate came home from work, we canned 20 more with what I had left over. So we canned 97 bottles which now grace our shelves!
Before the reward there must be labor. You plant before you harvest.
You sow in tears before you reap joy
Ralph Ransom
Salsa Time each year brings back delightful memories of Marcia and yes, a few tears as I remember her life, her example and the beautiful gifts she left us.
For more Foodie Friday Treats please visit our hostess at Gollum Designs.
If you would like me to share the recipe for this delicious brew we have been serving up for over 20 years and have published in several recipe books, let me know.
Enjoy a great weekend, Beth








38 comments:
Ralph Pansom's quote is truly perfect here for many reasons. I am glad you were able to can the salsa again--it doesn't look as if you'll run out. Thanks for sharing your stories :)
What a bitter sweet post... so sorry for your loss.
On a brighter note, wow... what a huge supply you now have. I can't wait to try canning salsa!
Take care,
ButterYum
PS - I have that same tomato corer from PC. It's the best!
How fun! Looks yummy :)
Those Ball jars are a sight to behold--edible art. Thanks for the recipe and story.
Yum!!! That looks good, I think I need some! Salsa is the best.
Yes I would love to have your salsa recipe...thanks for sharing....Pat H
pattygary@kc.rr.com
Oh my goodness....what's better than HOMEMEADE SALSA ????
woohooooooooo !!
that looks awesome !
great pics :)
Wow, what a great deal of work! Looks yummy! We used to do peach jam every August until we moved away from the best peach tree in the world. I miss that sense of accomplishment - thanks for sharing!
Robin
Wow, very impressive! I am hoping to do grape jam this fall with grapes from our own vines ... but I know I won't get 97 jars!
Lovely thoughts about your sister, too. How you must miss her.
Cass
I've never canned, but I grew up with my great-grandmother filling the kitchen with jars of veggies and fruits. I know it is hard on you, the loss of your sister. Today also is sad for me. The best friend I've written about; today would be her birthday. Oddly enough, it is also my little male Yorkie Charlie Ross's third birthday. The day I got him at a turkey farm in another city, I asked his birth date. It was just months after she'd died. When the woman told me, I began to cry. I was already planning to name him after her father, for whom she was named. Charlie Ross was her father's full name. And her name was Charlyce, after him. His only child. Hugs to you today, my friend.
Brenda
Beautiful story so sad yet full of sweet memories of your sisters life. Would love the recipe.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~
That is SOME salsa you've got stored up, ladybug. Looks delish! Have a lovely weekend. TTFN ~Marydon
Yes, give us the recipe. I spent 3 days last week canning. My Aunt and I canned blackberry jam, strawberry jam, peach jam, peppered jelly, pickle relish and sliced peaches. After we were done we had 60 jars. Most of the ingredients we picked out of her garden. It's a long process but we would take a break every now and then to play scrabble. :=)
Your Salas looks beautiful and the picture of it in the pot looks downright yummy!
congrats on all your hard work.
97 reminded me of the song 99 bottles of beer on the wall and one fell off etc:) You sure where one busy lady and I bet your kitchen smelled amazing. I have never canned a thing in my life but your post is so motivating I may just have to try it in the near future.
Joyce
We love salsa too, the first time I bottled it, I didn't wear gloves and you know what happened! For a week, my hands burnt! Our kids love it too, but now i tell them that their wives need to make it for them!
I had two brothers pass away from the dirty..cancer. One would have been 50 the day of his funeral, the other 53...I could so feel your pain.
Nice post..thank you :D
Beth I miss read your post, I went and checked out your other post, and realized it was a few years back , never the less I know the pain of that loss is still with you, I too have a sister that we have done so many things together and shared so many wonderful memories don't know what I would do without her.
So I know today was both sad and happy for you, feeling the loss but also having wonderful memories.
Blessings, to you dear friend,
Sue
Fresh tomatoes. You sure made lots. And how perfect is that - how you peel it.
I like the quote too. Very true.
Mizpah,
Li
What a delicious looking lot of salsa!! I have never canned my own salsa. ((((hugs)))) I am very lucky to have my sister still with me. I have many fond memories of us doing things just like this together. My heart goes out to you. I can only imagine how much you must miss your sister. xxoo
Wow, we are new to blogging but love that we share interests with so many bloggers out there. We are making salsa for the first time this year and would love to have your recipe. There is something beautiful about looking at all those jars of bounty. Thanks for sharing the recipe. rschlauderaff30@hotmail.com
Canning is a true joy! When I can it takes me back to canning with my Mom every fall. Good memories! I love reading about your salsa! Please send me your recipe for it. Thanks so much. Renee
Your salsa looks delicious! The loss of your sister must be hard and especially so as you are reminded when doing familiar things. I would still like to come and get some of your iris, but I can't seem to find any time. If the weather holds out for a few more weeks you may still see me (if you haven't already given them all away)! UEA is coming!
Thanks,
JoAnn
It's such a great feeling to have all your jars lined up and waiting for winter. It's a feeling our great grandmother's must have felt too. It's funny what triggers memories. I always think of my grandmother when I smell concord grape juice! She had an arbor of grapes and would put up hundreds of jars of juice and jelly. Mimi
ps I would like the recipe if you wouldn't mind. Mimi
Fresh canned anything is so pretty to look at. I never want to put it on the shelves.
I'd love to do salsa. Our tomatoes are still sitting green out on the vines. What a weird year, I think I've got 5 tomatoes from 6 vines this year. I'm doing white grape juice today. Mmmm.
I'd love the recipe of your Marcia salsa. Maybe I'll think of her when I make it too.
Hawaii huh. lucky Mr. B. :)
I'm glad to see your FIL up and looking good. Is he doing well?
What a beautiful little new grandson! When you hold a tiny newborn and look deep into their little eyes, you really know you are holding someone that was just there, in Heaven huh.
Your salsa looks yummy. I agree with everyone’s comments about the memories that bottling brings back. I can never bottle anything without thinking of my grandmother, who had to carry a baby on her hip and a bucket for water in the other hand, and walk a quarter of a mile after water. We have it so easy don't we.
And on that note, I'm off to the garden to pick every last ripe tomatoe today. Duchesne county is going to have a heavy frost tonight.(so they in the know are predicting) I would LOVE to have your salsa recipe if you wouldn't mind. :-) Thanks much. Mercy ♥
nelrh@ubtanet.com
What a sweet and spicy post. You did well canning that many jars. I gave all my canning equipment to DI when I moved but think I may invest in new ones next year. I am sure you miss your sister. So sorry, cherish the memories of her.
First, I love your kitchen. I love the color of the wooden cabinets and your center, work station. It is great. I love the glorious bottles of salsa all lined up. Great work!
I haven't canned so far. My Robert is sick and at home. We still don't know what the problem is. We see the specialist on Wednesday. Please pray they can figure it out.
I think I will make some homemade salsa tomorrow to eat now. What do you put in yours?
God bless,
Elizabeth
P.S. I was just released as Relief Society teacher and am going to be team teaching the 6 yos with my hubby. Am excited!
Thank you so much for the nice, nice comment~made my day!
No relations in the Tropic area..but I did have pioneer ancestor's who came with the first company into SLC with Brigham Young...Charles A. Harper and William McClure Lemon.
We live about 15 min. north of Capitol Reef national Park..you should come for a visit! :D
Just catching up with you. Good to hear your Dad is doing so well. Yum we love salsa in this house too.
B..thank you for stopping by to check in. It is a mess around here, that is for sure. Not so many people hae sufferred the effect of the storms except for a few inconvinences, but several of our friends in north Georgia are really hurting at the moment. Keep them in your parayers, please.
Your salsa looks so yummy! How wonderful that you have so many to share it with (and that look forward to it as well)! The kiddos love it here as well.
I know you miss your sister dearly and it is wonderful that you can have happy memories of her to help you cope.
xo, Jennifer
wow!!!! I made your salsa we love it.....thanks for sharing.....Pat h
Wow! Check out all of that wonderful canning! I love how you did a step by step approach to this post. I love salsa, so this would be fun to try.
Great job!!
I have one of those dohickies. I never thought to use it for tomatoes. I have used it for strawberries.
I think I will go home and do some salsa now. Wait....I don't have time. Why don't you just send me some of yours.
Sorry about your sister. Good thing for memories.
What? You couldn't make it to an even hundred? Weak sauce!
J/k. Good job, mom.
Beautiful! I love the feeling of accomplishment when canning is finished. I will say, my kitchen never looks good enough for a picture after. Thanks for the post. I lost a sibling 6 years ago too. My brother died at 46,I understand how some things remind you of them. I think how he touched my life and how glad I am that he's my brother. -joy
Hey, Beth! Just stopped by to see how you are doing. How is your Dad? Are you doing well?
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Post a Comment