Sunday, September 21, 2008

Salsa Time and Memories of my SISTER

It is Salsa time again! Canning homemade salsa has been a tradition in our family for years.
I have missed canning the past two years and hope that next year I will be healed from a broken back and surgery enough to fill our shelves with this wonderful spicy goodness.

Six years ago this week, my beautiful sister Marcia passed away. She left an indelible impression of compassion and goodness with us all. She was an example to so many, through her inspirational talks to literally thousands and through her book. She was an extraordinary artist. She actually changed lives and some even responded by naming their children after her. Most importantly she was an example simply by the way she lived her life. I will forever be grateful I was lucky enough to call her my big SIS. This is a picture of Marcia's wedding portrait and the other is of my brother, myself and Marcia. Three more girls were born after this picture was taken.

I was reflecting this week about that day. She passed away after a very long battle of fighting brain cancer, at the age of 54, of a sudden heart attack! WHAT A SHOCK! I was canning salsa when I got the news, Marcia had died.  It felt like my heart stopped and like I could never get the pain to stop.
After our son Steve heard the news, he came over to give his mom so big ole hugs and just spend the day with me... Even in his dress clothes from work, he stayed and helped me finish the huge batch of salsa I was making. We called this batch ‘Marcia’s salsa.’ It is by far the hottest salsa our family has ever made. That means it was really 'HOT!' Because our family likes a hot spicy salsa, yet some couldn't take the heat from 'Marcia's' batch! :) One batch usually makes about 30 pints. I still have some of 'Marcia's' salsa! LOL
As I peeled the tomatoes and chopped the other veggies, Stephen kept my processor going blending peppers. He must have done this for several hours straight adding to the double pressure cooker on the stove. He probably 15 times or more the amount we usually add:)


We shared so many wonderful memories of Marcia, cried and laughed, then cried some more. (She would have wanted us to laugh and smile through our tears.:)

My hubby came home later and the fumes from the salsa actually BURNT his eyes. When he went to work the next morning, his eyes were bright blood shot red.
My eyes had been bathed in tears all day, well actually for many days to come and were protected from the hot spicy salsa fumes. It still is the most MEMORABLE  batch I have ever canned and the only batch that had its very own name!:)
Which is so much like my oldest sis, Marcia who I miss and love. Her wonderful example of compassion, goodness and humor was so remarkable and unforgettable.

25 comments:

Amy Jo said...

What a unique way to remember your older sister!

~Niki~ said...

Awww, that was such a nice entry. I'm glad I came 2 visit u today. HUGS!

Pattie D said...

Beth,
You made me cry...not a bad thing, not at all. Isn't is wonderful to have memories? I understand the missing and it is hard to let those we love go. Isn't it wonderful that there is a plan! Can you imagine if we didn't know or understand. She must have been a wonderful sister, and what a sweet memory to share with your son. Thanks for sharing your heart today! I, too, hope you can can salsa next year...heal well friend.
hugs
tricia

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

What a way to remember her!!:0) I too think of my dad when I do any kind of canning as before he got really sick we enjoyed doing canning together!:0) Thanks for sharing about your big sister!~Wendy

Picket said...

Hello friend...what a beautiful memory to have...I am so sorry about the loss of your sister..I only have one sister and I could not imagine that pain and loss..funny how we can be heartbroken and crying over someone we have lost and then at that same moment laugh at a memory that flashes back in our minds of them....Thanks so much for coming by and for the sweet comment...please come back anytime.

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

I have enjoyed visiting your blog. Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories.
Blondie

Anonymous said...

How sad to lose a sister but what lovely memories.

Anonymous said...

Hugs, it must be a hard time of year. It does feel good though that you still have some of her all fresh and spicy in the cupboard for those times when you need to remember her and cry a little.

My chilli has been known singe nostril hair. :-) Good stuff!

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog. I am so.. sorry for the loss of your sister. I'm glad you ahve wonderful memories of her!!

Twice as Nice said...

I am SO sorry about your sister. I'm sure you were numb. To beat brain cancer and then pass away unexpectedly is such a shock. It good that you can wrap yourself around happy memories. I have lost a lot of people but not a sister (I have lost a brother) I'm sure she is looking down and smiling when ever your in the kitchen making salsa :o) P.S. Sounds like you have a wonderful son who loves his mom very much.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

What a wonderful tribute to your sister. Thank you for sharing as it has brightened my day and added just the perspective I needed. Thank you!

Hugs,
Cindy

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Beth, your salsa looks SO good! Love that stuff. What a wonderful tribute to your sister.

And good for your boys getting that pool table so cheap. Thanks for stopping by & enjoying my thrifty finds with me!

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh my what a trajic story to lose your sister. Sisters are so dear. She'll always be your sister. Forever.

The Berry's Patch said...

What a touching story about your sister. Your salsa sounds yummy. We like it hot in our household. :-)

Anonymous said...

Beth,
What love and compassion you have for your sister. It is so wonderful you have such wonderful memories to keep her alive. I can't imagine losing someone that close to me, so I can only imagine the hurt you must go through, especially this time of year. I do love the pictures you shared. She was a beautiful lady. Thank heavens for our children to be out biggest supporter in our times of need!
Hugs,
Jen

Anonymous said...

Thanks fr your comments on my blog. I admire the fact you are close enough to your sister to have wonderful memories. My siblings and I are not really that close. I really hope and pray my children are also close and have eternal memories like you and your sister.

The Beauty Bargainista said...

I am so sorry for your loss, but that is an amazing memory that you will always have! I know she is proud of you and your salsa! :)

Eileen said...

What a beautiful tribute to your sister. I am so sorry that she left this world at such a young age. But you do have some really wonderful memories of her.

Gone said...

A beautiful tribute to your Big Sis!! And I'm sorry you lost her way too soon.

I, too, lost my sister...3 years younger than me...in June of 2000, to colon cancer.

Thank goodness we both have lovely memories of our sisters.

~Blessings,
Jan

Gone said...

Hi again...

I just added you to our DAY of PRAYER post on our blog today. You'll be prayed for by many.

~Blessings,
Jan

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

God bless you and your big sister Marcia. I can't imagine how hard that must have been (and still is) for you. She sounds like such a special woman.
Carrie

Deb said...

What a beautiful entry. I'm glad I got to read about your sister. Now every time I make salsa, I'll remember your beautiful story. She must have been a beautiful person. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for sharing memories of your sister. I'm not sure how long ago you lost her, but I can tell that she was special.

How did you break your back? That sounds awful.

Thank you for visiting my blog and for leaving your comments. It's nice to "meet" you!

I hope your day is bright and sunny!
Elizabeth

nikkicrumpet said...

She was a really lovely woman..and I love that "salsa" helps you remember her...she must be smiling in heaven!

Gone said...

You're included in our Day Of Prayer post, which was posted this evening.

~Blessings,
Jan