Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Smiling with Dad

Our sweet Dad has kept us hopping! He also provides us with some great smiles though... His cell phone has been life line to his family and especially to his sweet girlfriend. All of the numbers are on speed dial and Donna's number is 11.  It is well used.:)
He is so enamored by this dear 93 year old lady.  They enjoy each other and finish the others sentences, like they have been together for along time and they have been so good for each other.
One sunday we pushed him over to have Sunday brunch with his friends and to see Donna.
When Mr B wheeled his dad into the dining room there was a spontaneous and loud applause, as everyone welcomed him back. Then the the chefs came out to say hello. 
He had big tears and a huge grin.  I loved it!
It is so much better than where he is  staying now.

I recently took dad to the Doctor and we were told around the first of October he will be able to move back  there with his friends.  Luckily they also a side for those needing assistance. His new apartment will just be on the other side of the facilityThen Donna and he can be close together again.

As we left the doctors office, I told dad I had one errand to run and then I would meet him back at the nursing facility. He went by a van equipped for his wheelchair.

When I arrived I found him in Physical Therapy and everyone was laughing so hard!
Well, the week before ....his cell phone was missing... and couldn't be found. He was devastated and we even watched him go down hill mentally. It was so hard on both of them!
Donna  had told us she would spend practically the whole day "punching in his numbers" on her (old corded) phone and it was wearing her fingers off." She was so mad because no one would answer it. Bless her heart, she kept forgetting his phone was lost. I felt so bad for her.
We got a corded phone for dad to put by his bed. Since he was so used to speed dialing it was hard to teach him, he had to dial a 9 to get an outside number, before he could make a phone call.

So I made large signs with the instructions to dial 9, then typed our names and all our phone numbers, including the 9 at the beginning in large print for him to read and hung then on his wall.

After about 9 days latter, they finally found his phone in the laundry. What a relief!!!  It must have gone there with his bedding, as I take care of all of his clothes.



Back to Physical Therapy... They were laughing... because He had just called 911 right before I walked in.. The dispatcher had asked him for his address.
He hollered out, "Hey, what is the address in here?"

His Physical Therapist took the phone and tried to explain to the dispatcher, where they were, dad was a patient and everything was just fine.

They still had to talk to dad again to verify he wasn't in any danger. They take every 911 call seriously.
So Dad told them he was fine, but he still NEEDED to talk to his girlfriend and he was getting frustrated!


He had dialed her number ~ 9~11 on his cell phone!

Everyone was laughing so hard, the kind where you can't help but crack up along with every one else...


 He was laughing too, when he realized he had called the police! I showed him how to dial her number, again with out dialing the 9 first. LOL

I guess my dialing a '9 first indoctrination' got through!:)
 Poor guy had to be retrained!
Soon we won't have to return  him to the  nursing home and he can again be living where he has wonderful friends.
Notice the beautiful Wasatch mountains in the background.
Beth:-)

23 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Beth, I enjoyed reading about "dad" and had a chuckle right along with you. He sounds like quite a character! I am loving the new sunflower look of your page! Very bright and happy!

A New England Life said...

Hi Beth,

I've been meaning to email you and ask how your FIL has been doing. Sounds like things are going well! He's a spry gentleman thats for sure. So glad he found his cell phone but what trauma in the mean time!

Gorgeous view! Wish I were there : )

Sharon

Southern Lady said...

Beth, I'm so glad to hear that "Dad" is going to get to move back to the home where Donna is. I know that will make a world of difference in his health (and hers). She's such a pretty lady and doesn't look like she's 93!

What a cute and touching story. I'm glad it had a happy ending.

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I love this post, so much, Beth. Wonderful post and great news about your dad!

Thanks so much for your comment at the Back Porch. I'm taking your link, so I can put you back on my list!!

The yellow paint in our home is Laura Ashley Gold #3, from Lowe's. It is still in the kitchen/breakfast room/hearth room and the two upstairs bedrooms. We are now in the process of painting over the LA Gold, in our room and bathroom. SW Antique white in the bedroom and SW front porch for the bathroom. The gold changes with lighting throughout the day. After 6 years we are ready for a change here and there, but I still love the LA Gold, in other rooms of our home. It's a great neutral.

Jennifer said...

What a joy your FIL must be. Despite all of the struggles he is having at the moment he is still set in his ways and ready to get on with his life. I have difficult enough time operating my own cell phine. I can't imagine trying to keep up with one at 90! How wonderful that you have been able to find humor in the stress of things! It's great that he will soon be able to move back into the home with his friends. That will make so much difference in his recouperation.

Thinking of you dear Beth and hoping you are well. I know how it is to get so busy taking care of everyone else and then running yourself down. Be sure to enjoy some down time!

((hugs)), Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Your dad is adorable and handsome! What a funny situation with the cell phone! What a character! Thanks for the laugh this early morning.

Anonymous said...

LOL You know, ever since you told that little story of your Dad and his lady friend way back, I always have this involuntary smile every time you mention them again. Well, this time laughed a little too. What a funny story . . . oh and very sweet too! Aren't they just like teens? Good to know his feeling much much better.

Li

Trina said...

That's funny as heck. You had me chuckling anyway. I'm sure October can't come quickly enough. People get pretty funny about those boyfriends and girlfriends. Not long ago Jaide told me about a boy in her grade that she had a little crush on. She said she likes him because he's "So mature"...he's 10.

I absolutely LOVE those mountains! They are one of the reasons we'll hopefully end up there some day.

Come see my "Mom" entry, you know, since she's your sister. Love ya.

Brenda said...

I'm happy to hear all is well with your "Dad". I'm so glad he found his phone. I had a similar situation like that with my Dads cell phone. He didn't call 911, but he lost his phone for a short time and was devastated!

Thanks for sharing! What a cute Dad. I love the elderly, they have such sweet and gentle souls.

PS.I noticed the beautiful wasatch mountains in the background!

Walnut Springs Press said...

Dear Beth,

I am happy to inform you that you were the winner of a free copy of "The Route" as part of "The Route" blog tour. If you would please email your address to aorton@leatherwoodpress.com, I will get the book in the mail. Once again, congratulations on your win.

Anonymous said...

Hi there...I just stumbled onto your blog..it seems we have a lot in common, if it's ok, I'm adding you to my blog list. I started blogging last christmas and love it so much. My daughters said that I just had to learn all this and they were right! Come say hi on mint if you'd like..(www.circlecliffviews.blogspot.com)
I love in So. central Ut..red rock country..looking forward to being a friend :D

Brenda Pruitt said...

I was admiring those mountains! I don't get to see anything like that around here. Poor Dad! They must love one another a lot. I too will be relieved when he can be back near his lady friend again. And I know you will!
Brenda

The Gathering Place said...

I love the story of the 9-11 phone call. I imagine it must be very frustrating to get old and not have things work properly. (I'm already getting there, myself!) Good luck to him as he continues to recover!
JoAnn

Lorrie said...

Beth what a fun post this is. It's so neat to get to "meet" your FIL and his special lady--how good it is that they have each other. I know that technology is a real challenge to lots of our senior citizens--the phone story is very funny. I'm glad it had a happy ending and was straighted out before EMS had to come.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Your dad is so cute! What a lively guy! I loved that story of him calling 911 - so funny!

Thanks for always coming over and checking in with me. And thanks for being such a good friend for my mom. She loves you!

Have a super day!

XOXO
Jen

CB said...

Having just been through the whole assisted living thing with my grandmother - I can attest there are some pretty funny moments with the older folks!
I was laughing out loud about the dialing "9" and the 9-11 call. That is hilarious!!!
So glad your Dad is doing so well and smiling and laughing!

~Niki~ said...

*c*just wanted to stop by and say HI and let you know I got the $, thanks girl! I totally forgot about it, so when it came, I was like 'what is she sending me $20 for. LOL:)
thanks for the kind words about my son joe. :)

Mimi Sue said...

So glad Dad is getting better. I'm so glad he has a friend, I know they get lonely. It's so cute. Your new grandbaby is adorable. Aren't they so precious? Congratulations. Mimi

jeanne said...

Good morning Beth. Your post about your FIL is so amusing. And sad too when he lost his phone. Yeh! lost and found. You really made me smile today.

Oh, your new grandson is a cutie. I too love that newborn smell. It is heaven or close to it I think.

I am going out of town for a week and sigh, no computer. I will catch up when I return home.

Have a wonderful week Beth.

Hugs xoxo, Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth! Oh, what a cute story! I hope your Dad can be back where he wants to be soon. Seems he's a fun loving kind of guy!
Thank you for your visit!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Elizabeth said...

Beth,

This is a great post. I love knowing that your dad has a sweet friend. It is helping him keep going, you know? It's really important. And what a cute story about his phone and calling the police by accident. ha. That is a great one!

Is your dad here in the same city we are? I wonder if I know the home.

You are a great daughter, Beth.

God bless,
Elizabeth

Doran & Jody said...

LOL. Glad dad is doing better. Nice to know there are people that love and miss him besides family. That must make him feel good.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I'm so glad he is improving, sweet Beth! Oh, what a relief I know that must be to you.

You are such a precious DIL.

XO,

Sheila :-)