This is David Bowman's latest sketching of our Savior showing that love.
This has been a busy week at our home. My sweet Father in law, age 86 fell at the retirement living center where he lives.After a long night in the ER, the doctors think he tore his rotators cuff and his left arm is in a sling.
Thankfully he doesn't feel pain often, including now. In fact he has never had a headache! ( I can't imagine what a gift that must be!:-)
They feel he will need surgery and We have an apt to take him to see an Orthopedic Surgeon this week.
What is disconcerting the most is how rapidly he has gone down hill, mentally since his fall on Wednesday evening...
He is like a new born who has his days and nights mixed up. We have been told he went to the dining room at midnight for lunch etc., calling us in the middle of the night not knowing where he should go. He won't come home with us because he loves where he is.
He is so confused about what time he should sleep or eat and even some of our names. We have nurses going in to help him dress and help with his meds.
It is heart rending to see our parents age and prepare to leave this life.
Just a month ago, a local newspaper wrote a story about him celebrating many of accomplishments in his life. He is competitive by nature and participated in the Huntsman World Senior Games for nearly 20 years winning his share of medals, some gold. In several states he is the Horse Shoe Pitching Champion and still holds the record, since 1995, for 35 ringers out of 40 pitches in the World Games.
I am so glad I went to see him on Tuesday, the day before he fell and took this picture of him. He had greeted me with open arms. I had him hold up his largest trophy from the Senior Games which he is so proud of.
~
My FIL is very good man and has always been close to the Lord and very spiritual. He has been a bishop in our chuch and has been trying to get all the residents to attend church with him each Sunday.:-)
The newspaper article said, He enjoys people and finds joy in sharing a handshake or friendly smile with all he sees... The ladies at the center thinks he quite the gentleman, because it is always ladies first and he always holds the door for them. He has turned into quite the ladies man:-) I sure hope he can rally back again.
~
Matthew 11: 28-30
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
~
I am so thankful for HIS power to heal our hearts, souls and calm our fears.
I wish each of you a week of peace and hope you can feel His love in your life,
Beth ~♥
27 comments:
Sorry to read about your FIL Beth. He sounds like a wonderful man. I will be keeping him in my prayers. It is so very distressing to see our parents going down hill. Every time I see my own mother she appears more fragile to me.
I am also thankful and will forever be.
Reading through, there's no doubt everyone will love him. Full of joy, I bet. Hope he'll feel better.
So sorry about your FIL...sounds like a truly wonderful man. I pray that he can recover from his fall. Hope all will be well!
I agree; it hurts to see our parents age and decline. Your father-in-law sounds like a delight, and I hope he recovers.
Beth, I'm so sorry about you FIL's fall and hope he will soon be back to normal. Sometimes, when people get out of their routines, then they get all boogled up, and that's probably what happened to him if he's a creature of habit. I know that happens a lot to heart patients who don't know if it's day or night in the cardiac care unit. That is likely what's happened here with his trip to the ER. My heart goes out to you.
It's never easy to see someone you love get confused or suffer, and I will be thinking of you and praying that this confused state and the condition of his arm will be healed. Sending you much love...
XO,
Sheila
Oh Beth, I am so sorry about your FIL. I am sure it is tough on all of you right now. I am thinking of you all and keeping you in my prayers.
((Hugs))
Jennifer
So sorry to hear about you FIL accident. I am in agreement with you for a full recovery!
He sounds like truly a wonderful man. I feel so badly that time has taken him there. I know it must be so hard to watch this time of life.
What an honor though. He sounds like he was a firecracker.
Love the picture and have a great Sabbath.
So sorry to hear about your FIL! These truly are hard things to watch. I hope this is just a case of getting back in the swing from his injury, seems those sometimes take them down for a bit. You are in my prayers dear friend. Take care
hugs
tricia
I am praying for your FIL. What a special man.
Good morning Beth, What a blessing for your FIL that he has family close by. SO sorry about his fall.
It is so very hard to watch parents become old and frail, and to see their minds slip.
What a blessing for him that he has such a high pain tolerance. Hope everything goes well for him in the next days as he undergoes whatever needs to be done so that he can heal. Thanks for sharing your beautiful testimony of our Savior with us on this Sabbath morning. ♥
Sounds like a wonderful man and a wonderful example to others. Thanks for posting.
He sounds like a truly wonderful man and I hope he will be back to his old self soon!
Manuela
Sorry to read about your FIL. What a wonderful family your have. My cousin once reminded me of that and said,"you know Lynnie, not everyone has that!" I try to always remember that.
Do you think maybe he had a small stroke that caused him to fall? My mother had several of those before having a massive one. If that is the case maybe they can catch it in time. Mom couldn't figure out how she just kept ending up on the floor, they were so small. But the damage is cumulative, and could explain his change in mental status. Hope all turns out well, will remember you all in our prayers.
Have a Lovely Sabbath~
Alicia
Praying for your FIL. Love Ya lots!
♥ HUGS ♥
So sorry to read about the problems and pain that your family is going through this week. I hope and pray that your FIL will have a full recovery.
It is so sad to see a strong, robust person changed to being weak and childlike. I know that is the the "nature" of life, but it doesn't make it any easier.
May God bless and keep your family.
Gigi
I'm so glad that he is not in any pain. He seems like a sweet man. I will keep him in my prayers.
God Bless,
Ginger
What a special man he is. I saw my parents go through physical and mental decline before they died about 10 years ago at age 85 and 86. It happens to all of us so fast. I'm thankful we can look forward to life without end.
Blessings,
Charlotte
So sorry about your FIL...I hope he makes a full recovery and very glad he is not is any pain. May God Bless you and your family.
Blessings,
Jean
Oh, it is so hard seeing our parents age.... sounds like you have a wonderful FIL!!! What a blessing!
I'm so sorry to hear about his injury and decline! He seems like a WONDERFUL man. He has accomplished much. It is sad when we see our loved ones decline. We are celebrating my grandmother's life this Mother's Day, who is 90 this year. I feel blessed to still have her in my and my children's lives. Thanks for sharing such beautiful thoughts and memories.
Thanks for sharing your sweet story of your FIL. I admire your closeness with your in-laws. At times like these it sure helps to remember how much our Savior loves us for the suffering he went through. I think it helps us to cherish our relationships now and look foward to enjoying them when we pass on.
It IS hard watching parents age. My mom came to live with us for the last 4 years of her life. Mostly we enjoyed every minute of it. The last few months of her life she lived in a nursing facility. I miss her every day and she has been gone since 2006. Enjoy the time with your FIL. Give him a hug for me. Mimi
Hia Beth, sometimes after a trauma, retreating into yourself is a way of coping. Also if he is on any meds there can be a reaction with painkiller meds. Do get the Drs to look at this as a friend's father had this problem.
I hope he is back with you soon whatever the cause. Hugs.
We are seeing Dad take his turn downhill too, so we know the pain you are feeling...please know our hearts reach out to you!
With all the prayers for health and peace ... our family encompasses you in HIS love!
What an accomplished man your FIL is Beth, and to see these changes in him has to be so difficult. I do hope the doctors will be able to help him with his shoulder. They say injuries like that are very tough on older seniors. My best to you and your husband as you manage his care.
Sharon
Post a Comment