Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ode to my Precious Angel Mother

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
Abraham Lincoln

I am taking a blogging break.  Our family has been is in a whirlwind of activity taking care of our father and grandpa who is being placed in Hospice care this week...
I shared last Sunday (here) with you about my Father in Law's accident which was severe enough to need a whole shoulder replacement. I have spent practically every day this week meeting with doctors and nurses to help him receive the necessary treatment and services he needs.


Then my own sweet mom (82 yrs old) had an accidental grease fire last Sunday after preparing a beautiful dinner of salads, homemade rolls and her fabulous fried chicken for my brother’s family.
She had put the oil on to heat and was called away from the kitchen by the telephone.
A few minutes later she returned to a grease fire rising several feet in the air.
~
Without thinking, she grabbed the hot pan of oil with her bare hands and headed to the patio door, without the safety of hand mitts.

She badly burned her hands. She tried and couldn’t find any help, so she drove herself to the hospital.

She has suffered 2nd degree burns on both hands and 1st degree burns on her face. This has been devastating to me! I can’t stand knowing all the pain she has had to endure. She has already endured so much physical pain with many surgeries in the past few years... It has broke my heart and I feel tears running down my face as I type this...
~
When I was talking with her she kept saying, "Oh honey, the Lord blessed me so much, please don't cry! It could have been so much worst. I was able to save my home and Heavenly Father will help me heal and get through this." I just felt sick to my stomach.

She truly is an ANGEL of a lady!
Her beautiful hands are a symbol to me of her life. I made a scrapbook page several years ago of her precious hands which are full of arthritis and shows all the scars of service she has happily given to others all of her life. What a tremendous example of giving she continually is to me.

This is what I wrote in her scrapbook: "I love my mother's hands. They speak volumes of the life of love she has given to us and the service she so readily has given to others. Her hands are truly the 'hands of the Saviors' doing His work here on earth. My mothers hands are a visual reminder of one who has not been idle. She has busily been serving others and lightening their burdens. She has practically lived the scripture, when you are in the service of your fellowmen you are in the service of your God.
What an extraordinary example she has been to her whole family, and will continue to be for generations to come as many will call her beloved."
My mom still is the most beautiful lady inside and out, I have ever met! I wish with all my heart I could take away her pain. Please keep her ( and grandpa) in your prayers.

Happy Mother’s Day to each of you! I hope it is a day you can celebrate the life of your own mom.

It doesn’t matter whether you are a mother, with your own children... You are each a daughter of a mother. Maybe you are an aunt or sister, neighbor or friend and everyone of you are a teacher to those around you. It takes a whole community to raise a child! So celebrate yourself!
Happy Mothers Day!

Hugs,
Beth~♥
Even though I won't be posting until after after our parents and family are doing better. I will visit as many of you as I can in between. :-)

49 comments:

A New England Life said...

This is heartbreaking news. Please know my thoughts will be with you and your family.

I know your family will be rallying together to get through all of this, and the faith you all share will bring you closer.

No rush, you just come back when you feel like it. Your bloggy friends will still be here : )

Hugs,
Sharon

Brenda Pruitt said...

Take care of them. Love them while you have them.
Brenda

Betty said...

Yes, I can understand why you must take a blogging break.

It's so hard watching our parents suffer and then suddenly we have a role reversal and we kind of become their parents. I don't think anyone is really comfortable with that situation.

It seems with the elderly things can change so quickly. My Dad has Alzheimer's, but was doing well up until a year ago when he fell. He was able to conceal the memory problems very well, but took the fall and then it was so obvious. I know hospice will help you greatly in the coming days.

I think your Mom is right. The fire could have been so much worse, but not at all would have been so much better. Hopefully, she'll heal quickly and with minimal pain.

My thoughts and prayers are with you during this very difficult time.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, Beth - I'm so sorry that I haven't commented anything until now. Lots of stuff going on here. But I am so horrified about your mom's accident and very inspired by her attitude. My goodness, you have so many family challenges going on right now. What cities do they all live in?

I hope everything will be fine soon, or at least better.

God bless you and your whole family and try to have a wonderful Mothers DAy.

Elizabeth

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

I am so sorry Beth to hear of all your mom and grandpa are going through, I too can relate to the pain you feel for them. Please know we are here for you my friend and in our prayers!~hugs~Wendy

Sue said...

Oh!! Beth, I am so sorry to hear this, I have just put them both, and you in my prayer journal. Reading your post your Mother sounds like a woman of great faith.This was such a beautiful post and tribute to your Mother, I loved the poem you wrote about her, she sounds like my Mother, we are so blessed to have them,

Shauna said...

Praying for you and your family my precious friend! Love and Hugs!

Lisa said...

So sorry about your Mother's accident. Thinking of you and praying for her this Mother's Day!

Mimi Sue said...

It sounds like you have had a few trials this week. We will keep your family in our prayers. Have a wonderful mother's day. Mimi

KayEllen said...

Oh my goodness!
I will be praying for your family..so sorry to hear

Such a touching post.

You take Care,

Kay

Unknown said...

Hi Beth,
I'll be remembering you and your family this week in prayer!
Diane

Marie Rayner said...

Beth so sorry to hear about all th trials your family is going through at the moment. You will all surely be in my prayers. XXOO

SmilingSally said...

What a terrible accident your mom experienced. Thank God that she survived and you can still hug her.

Jan said...

Take care Beth. I hope all goes well for you. This is alot. So sorry.

Hugs,

Jan

honeysuckle said...

Your whole family will be in my prayers now and I am so sorry about the circumstances of your mom and dad. Your tribute to your mom was so touching. I can see why you must be such a remarkable woman yourself with that fine example. Although I did not use them, Hospice is a wonderful organization-much like the kindest angels on earth. They will be a strength to you I am sure. I cannot give any better advice to you now than trust in the Lord. Many blessings to you!

dream catcher said...

Happy Mothers day to all. Hi Beth, treasure each moment of your vacation. It seems like these times come too seldom and too far in between so treasure all of it. I have just enjoyed a wonderful time and meal with this wonderful angel mom. Her left forefinger and thumb are still bandaged and her right thumb is still raw. She still will not take it easy.. She is still doing for everyone and won't slow down. She needed her hair shampooed yesterday and I told her I would help her.. When I got home she had donned plastic bags over her hands and shampooed her own hair. She also baked apple pastries so I would have a snack to eat..... always the angel mother. I just ask her to read all the comments your blogging friends left for you on her behalf and with tears in her eyes she ask me to type and let all of you know of her love and appreciation for all your concerns. Thanks you from the bottom of our hearts.. She is healing and was able to attend church today and feel of the motherday message and spirit there. Your Brother R

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. Your Mom's courage and faith is amazing.

My prayers are with you

Ms. Tee said...

Beth, I'm so sorry to hear about all of this. I'll be praying for your mom and your grandpa (and you). {{hugs}}

Southern Lady said...

Oh, Beth ... I'm catching up on my visiting and I am so very sorry to hear about your mother's accident, and the other things you and your family are going through right now. It sounds like you have had your hands full.

Your beautiful tribute to your sweet mother touched my heart. My mother is 83, and I can just imagine how upset you were about your mom's accident.

I will remember you all in my prayers and hope things are better soon.

P.S. ... I appreciate your gracious note about Avery. That was very sweet of you, and it meant a lot to me.

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

Oh Beth, so sorry about your MOM! How heartwrenching. I pray she heals fast and can endure the pain. You have a lot on your plate right now. Love and thoughts...♥

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Beth, My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family. Nancy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Precious Beth! Oh, I'm so sorry about this and have just prayed for your dear ones. I wish I were there so I could help you. Just know I am hugging you tightly in my heart. I'm so thankful she didn't die in the fire or that her house didn't burn to the ground. Grease fires are scary things. And I pray her hands will be healed soon. Gollum had second degree burns on her hands a few weeks ago, too. Just so awful. I don't like to cook, and if I ever needed an excuse, this is it.

Take all the time you need, but know that we will be here for you.

On Friday, my mother will be gone for many years. I just don't even like to think about it, but I always get a little weepy at this time of the year. I'm just so glad that you still have your dear one here with you.

XO,

Sheila :-)





XO,

Sheila :-)

Jennifer said...

Oh Bethie, I know you had told me of this already, but reading it again just breaks my heart. I am so sorry that your family is going through all of this and I know that it can't be easy. Sending big hugs and lots of prayers your way that everyone will recover quickly and things will go a bit more smoothly for you all.
Blessings and Love,
Jennifer

Chandy said...

Hello! I'm crying now too! We did an FHE for service by baking together and I couldn't help but think of you and how lucky I am to know that such great people know my hubby's family.

You know, when I first saw your header, I thought I was looking at Kate's backyard! I don't know why, but I saw your blog even before I knew she had her own blog. Isn't that funny?

Happy@Home said...

I'm sorry to hear your sad news, Beth. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Beth, My heart goes out to you! ...and my prayers as well! The story of your mom was devastating, but she sounds like a remarkable and strong lady...both physically and spiritually!

May God, our great Physician, richly bless and heal your family, ...and give you the strength to care for them all! Big HUGS sent your way, ~Rhonda :)

The Muse said...

As we travel about blogland...from post to post...we find ourselves going through many emotions...why? I think it is because we have opened our hearts...because we have opened up our spirit and have decided to let others reach out and touch us.

This theory has been staunchly supported, as our family reads your post here, dear Beth! And as we read...we are bathing you and your loved ones in prayer!

Our hearts reach across the miles...and we hope that you can feel all the love that surrounds you by not just me, but by all you have touched in this world of cyberspace:)

BECKY said...

Dear Beth, I am so thankful to our heavenly Father that your Mom is still with you!! He will heal her hands...He's certainly got her heart! What a touching tribute, and she is definitely reflected in you and your kind spirit!

You must be such a blessing to her and to your grandpa!! Don't grow weary...God is well-pleased with the fragrant aroma of the sacrifice of your time and the care you're giving your loved ones. A beautiful testimony to all of us!!

May you be richly blessed for all you give,
Hugs,
Becky

Anonymous said...

Hugs Beth hun. Of course family comes before blogland. Your poor poor mother. I so feel for her and those around her who love her. To have busy useful hands which are then forced to lay still is hard. She sounds like such a lady that she will take something positive from it ultimately. Courage and good wishes Beth for all you have going on in your family right now.

Brenda said...

I'm so sorry about your Mom's accident! I understand how you want to be with her. I will keep your beautiful Mother and Grandpa in my prayers.
What a wonderful tribute to your Mother. Thanks for your loving post, It warmed my heart!

Happy to know Elder Hatch, I will pass that along! You're awesome! Thank you =)

Best of wishes and hugs to you and your family. Hugs to your sweet Mother and Grandpa!

Just a little something from Judy said...

I just cannot tell you how badly I hurt as I read through your post today. For some reason, I missed reading your post before and I feel badly about that. I am sure it has been a rough week for you and your family. I am so sorry! I will remember you in my prayers whenever God brings you into my mind. Hopefully, the healing process has begun for both of your dear loved ones.

nikkicrumpet said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the problems your family is having. And your poor mom and her burned hands. I will keep them all in my prayers. Thanks for sharing a piece of your wonderful mom with us. I had the great blessing of a surprise visit from my precious mom and middle daughter...they flew in to surprise me for Mother's day. What a treat that was!

~Niki~ said...

Sorry to hear your family is suffering, and the pain...I pray for you and your family.

Ashley said...

Ohhh, I will be praying for you and your family! And sending virtual hugs through blogland your way. This is such a sweet post and I can tell you love them both so much.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Miss you, sweet Beth, and hoping your mom is better with each day's passing and your FIL, too. Sending you lots and lots of love...

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Muse said...

continuing to bathe you in prayer!

Anonymous said...

I will be sure to keep your Mother and your grandpa in my prayers.

xoxoxoxo
Donna Marie

Bo said...

Oh Beth, I've been on a bloggy break myself & I'm just now reading of your family's issues. Please know that you & they will be in my prayers. Love, Bo

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sending love from my nest to yours...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Nicole said...

Wow, I am so sorry to hear all that your are going through right now. Your Mother is beautiful, I will keep here in my prayers. I hope your father in law will be all right also, it's so hard to see those we love get older and have to go through the trials that they do. Take Care of yourself!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Miss you, Sweet Beth, and thinking of you daily. Hope things are better. Sending much love your way...

XO,

Sheila :-)

A Joyful Chaos said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother and father-in-law.

May God be extra near and dear during this time.

We will be keeping them and you in our prayers.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

XO, XO, XO, XO, XO, XO, XO, XO...

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Beth, so glad you're back and that things are better! We've missed you!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Deb Robertson Writes said...

Oh Beth, this is so horrible for you and your family. I'm behind in checking blogs and only just read yours. I'm sending hugs to you and prayers to our Father to be with you at this time.
Lots of love
deb xxx

Brenda said...

Welcome Home Beth! I'm so glad you stopped by! Your comment brightened my day! I would love for my son to serve in your sons ward, that would be so cool! He will be in Virginia soon! He is so excited to serve! I can't wait to hear about your trip! I'm glad you arrived home safely! Elder Oaks brought you home! =)

I hope all is well with your Mother and Grandpa!

Have a great week!
Hugs!

Elizabeth said...

Hoping you and all of your family is well. Looking forward to hearing about your trip. Mine is 15 days away!

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Southern Lady said...

Beth, just a note to let you know I miss you and hope things are better for you and your family.

Take care now ...

Sincerely,

Janie

Trina said...

Now I'm crying because of what happened to her and because I didn't know. I'll call her this week. With all my heart I hope she's doing better. If it weren't for your blog I'd never hear anything.

I'll keep your FIL in my prayers as well. Loves.