Thursday, August 19, 2010

Easy and Yummy Calzones

A Calzone has many descriptions. An Italian "stocking" or "trouser" or "drooping sack" or "hanging fold". Actually it is a basic turnover that originates from Italy. It is made of ingredients similar to pizza, with the dough folded over and shaped in a crescent shape before baking.

I am sure when our son served as a  missionary in Italy for 2 years he and companion would enjoy these wonderful treats for many a lunch, because they are sold at street venders.  Can you imagine the wonderful aromas  and just walking on by?
.
We sure enjoy these pocket style sandwiches.

We love these tasty treats for dinner and I always make extra ones for additional meals later. They freeze so easy for a quick individual meal on a busy night.


These Calzones are so easy and good to make. Our family really enjoys them and each person makes their own to their own taste. We have been known to throw in crazy ingredients and some have worked better than others! The dill pickle and peanut butter not work so well but showed some teenage creativity!:)
                                   I usually make a pizza crust dough recipe and double it.

 But this time... I thawed and let rise around 15 of the Rhoades Texas or gourmet rolls out in the morning. By afternoon they had a chance to rise several times. I divided the dough into large balls.


The usual pizza ingredients are our favorites and mainly a sausage and pepperoni one with lots of veggies. One of our son's family does not like much spice and opt for a mild Canadian bacon and pineapple version. 

The version I am sharing with you is a healthier one with lower fat ingredients which are:

*  1 pkg Jimmy Deans 'Hot' sausage and browned, crumbled and  drained. The method I use to remove almost all the fat is  by squeezing the sausage rolled up in a light kitchen towel.  ( A little unorthodox but it works for me!)

*  Add 1 bottle Ragu pizza sauce, This meat mixture should be thick.

*  Sautéed sweet onions and sweet red peppers.

*  Browned mushrooms until tender

*  Fresh baby spinach leaves

*  Turkey Pepperoni

*  Low fat shredded mozzarella cheese



 You can add almost everything! I always sprinkle my own with dried Chili pepper flakes.
 I doenjoy lots of spice in my life:-)

I have started to use a lower fat turkey pepperoni for our family.
We rolled out each of the balls out in small pizza rounds and then everyone places on their own



ingredients. 

 I even made a couple to take to some friends and so called in advance for  their orders.


He did not want Pepperoni and she wanted the works! Each one makes a half a dinner plate full of goodness..
After placing the ingredients on the center of the the rolled out dough, gently fold the other half of

dough over  and roll the edges and crimp them with the tines of a fork.

I like to baste them with a light egg white wash for a shiny beautiful color after they bake.

After baking I sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese and fresh chives. Hmmm... good.


After writing this post I am craving one of these tasty morsels and 'Dollars to Donuts'
will be making these again this coming week!

I do hope you will make these wonderful Calzones for dinner soon and let me know what you think!

Ciao and enjoy a beautiful weekend,
 Beth

I am linking up for Foodie Friday with Michael over at Gollums's design. She and her guests post fabulous recipes each week. Please hop on over and pay this wonderful hostess a visit. She planned  a wonderful looking picnic for this Friday!

14 comments:

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

This is a really neat idea. I can't tell you the number of times I've wanted to make pizzas or calzones, but I didn't feel like messing around with making the dough. Happy FF.

:)
ButterYum

Renée said...

Hi Beth,

It's my first time at your fun blog. Great to see Sister Hinckley on your side bar...what an inspiration:D Love your calzones. In my neck of the woods they are called "Pizza Bombs" and my son will be here for lunch tomorrow. I have cheese, sausage, basil, spinach and sauce! Thanks for a great idea...

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Those look so tasty. I will definitely be giving them a try.

Marie Rayner said...

Oh my Beth! These look fabulous! I must give them a try. I can't think of a tastier place to do a mission than Italy! xxoo

Shauna said...

YUM!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I am hungry now :) I want you to know how thankful I am for you Beth! You are the BEST! A true blessing to me! Have a beautiful weekend!

L♥ve and Hugs, :) Shauna

Pedaling said...

I like the easy part of this recipe.
My kids would love this!
Thanks.

Doran & Jody said...

Oh yum!

We are heading to Salt Lake for the evening and then a 9:00 am temple session in SLC. I wish I could meet you someday.

Connie said...

Beth,
Thanks for the recipe! Yours looks marvelous! I will be making these this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy I am going to make these tonight! Thanks for sharing the goodies my friend! ;D

Jacqueline said...

Yum, I would really like one of these right now! I haven't made these in forever and we love them. I need a memory jog once in a while. What a great idea to use Rhodes dough too. Your finished calzones look fabulous.

Lisa said...

Ooh, these look great! Wish I could have had some of these for dinner tonight!

RachelD said...

Oh, My!!!

What a wonderful counterful of good things!! There's just something about lots of dishes filled with lots of topping options, for this or a salad bar or a sundae bar---speaks of gracious plenty and a lavish hand with the hospitality.

I think I'd have "the works" as well, double on those beautiful basil leaves, please.

Elizabeth said...

I need to try and make these. They look wonderfully delicious!

industrial first aid supplies said...

These are really delightful colourful treats and photographs. I add mint and chestnut, strawberries and cream, vanilla and salted caramel, too delicious.