Thursday, January 7, 2010

Yum, Chocolate Pudding Cake made with ' The Light Version'!


 When I first made this cake it was an instant hit with everyone and still is. OH MY GOODNESS!!! It is simply the easiest and yummiest dessert! It you are in the mood for a dessert which is light and airy and not too rich, this dessert is for you!

It started as a mistake when my sister was taking dinner in to another family and everything seemed to go wrong for her. The cake flipped out of her hands as she removed it from the oven and it landed upside down on her oven door!  Panic stepped in and then she opened her pantry and created a simple version of what has evolved to become a favorite for all of our family.  It has been named 'Better than _ _ _!' ' Chocolate Heaven' and then my old Chocolate Pudding Cake:-)

The other family loved it and asked my Sister  for the recipe. She was embarrassed to tell them the cake had been flipped out on her oven door!  It has become a staple at our family gatherings.
I hope you too fall in love with this simple and yummy versatile  recipe.

Chocolate Pudding Cake
Ingredients:
Chocolate Fudge Cake baked as you desire
1 container lite Cool Whip
1 Large instant Chocolate pudding
(Stir ins as desired. I sprinkled in some of our crushed  Christmas Almond Toffee as I did the layers.. We loved the toffee through out!:)
Mix and bake the cake mix. Cool. Mix the pudding. Let  the Cool Whip soften on the counter.

In a pretty bowl, I like using a trifle bowl, layer mounds of broken up Cake, Pudding and Cool Whip. I try to make it pretty on the sides with mounds of each showing through. I ALSO sprinkle in  broken up Heath Candy Bars, Almond Joys, or York bars or any candy bar you want to use, or even some yummy berries throughout the layers. Or you can just keep it plain.

 On the top spread the remaining cool whip and sprinkle with more of the broken candy bar, chocolate curls, and /or nuts.
Chill for several hours and even the day before so the flavors can all blend together. Serve to your guests who will think you have slaved for hours making it. It will look so fancy you are sure to get Oooo's & Aahhhs!

Now for the lighter  version recipe, I made  this dessert with during the holidays. 
  I used:
Sugar free chocolate pudding with 1 % milk.
Lite Cool Whip
Fudge Cake Mix
Then to  save a whopping 1300 Calories per dessert, I made the cake mix using 1 small can of pumpkin and 1 1/4 cups water.....instead of adding the usual eggs and oil. I also stirred in about 3/4 cups milk chocolate chips before I baked the cake. It turned out delicious and you couldn’t taste the Pumpkin.  The pumpkin did make the cake more of  a rich brownie consistency.


I will be making this lighter version again, I heard about using the pumpkin to lighten the calories with a cake mix on the Rachel Ray show.
I hope you too will enjoy this lucious dessert!


~~~~~~~~~~~♥~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to thank everyone for leaving such kind comments for me after I disabled myself again through  my stupidity of thinking I could still be a chorus girl again. :-)  (Did I mention how much FUN and laughter my sisters and I were having though?)  I am moving very gingerly and can’t sit for very long... Pain meds, down feather pillows and a donut has become very good friends. I am grateful for my adoring husband who puts up with my stupid stunts which sometimes ruins his vacations... ;)  He is the Best! The doctor said it would be a good 6 months for my broken tailbone to heal :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~♥~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am linking up with Gollums Designs for Foodie Friday.  Please drop by her beautiful blog which  is full of 'Blog Candy' and wonderful recipes.
 

47 comments:

A New England Life said...

What? You broke your tail bone? Oh my goodness I've been away too long! I sure hope your pain is subsiding. Just an awful thing to happen after all the back problems you've had.

My sister in-law makes this dessert on occasion and I swear I could eat half of it! It's out of this world good! Probably the reason I won't make it, I'll eat it all.

Take care of yourself!

Sharon

Julie Harward said...

SIX MONTHS!!! OH MY GOSH, IT MUST HAVE BEEN PRETTY BAD, YOU GET THAT THING HEALED UP AND KEEP THOSE HEELS ON THE FLOOR! THAT DESERT LOOKS SO AWESOME, I'LL BET A FEW RASPBERRIES THROWN INTO IT WOULD BE YUMMY TOO AND THEN IT WOULD BE FAT FREE RIGHT?! LOL COME SAY HI :D

Blondie's Journal said...

Happy to hear from you again, Beth and happy holidays (belated)!!! The recipe looks scrumpntious and I have been looking for an excuse to use my never used before trifle dish!! So this is a winer. Thanks for sharing!!! Stay warm, my friend! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your tail bone, OUCH!!!
GREAT!!! recipe I love chocolate and this looks and sounds AWESOME!!!
Geri

Robin Beck said...

You had me at chocolate!

Happy healing sweetie! Hopefully it won't take 6 months before you feel up to dancing again!

Robin~♥

honeysuckle said...

C, I am so sorry about your mishap and your tailbone. Wish I could take some of that pain away for you. I know it is frustrating not being able to do your normal things. You have my sympathies and I hope it will be fast healing so you'll be up and around very soon. Maybe this will give you more time to relax and blog and other indulgences! Keep me posted on your progress.

Lorrie said...

Hi Beth, good to see that you're on the mend! This dessert looks fabulous, I can tell why it's an instant favorite everywhere!

Barb said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better - I broke my tailbone once, sometimes it still hurts and that was 34 years ago!! Although there was no singing involved - just cream of wheat (long story)! I can't wait to make your chocolate pudding cake - it looks scrumpdillyicious. Of course, I love anything chocolate. Glad to see you back, move carefully and don't go far without your donut!

Blessings, Barb

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

You are evil! You must be destroyed..........I rally would LOVE to come to dinner and have a taste of that.
So sorry about the coccyx! I took care of a lady yesterday that did that very same thing.
Hugs and hope for a speedy recovery.
Tauna

Just a bed of roses said...

Would be wonderful for Valentines.
I just blogged about my starting the walking etc. thing...and I look over and see this beautiful glass full of chocolate goodness...so glad you added the low fats/calories, appreciate it and will try it in a month!
oh, I know those tailbones just are so miserable and don't go away fast, most people don't realize how painful that is. good luck and hopefully you can find something comfortable to do.

Mimi Sue said...

WOW! 6 months! So so sorry. At least you were having fun when it happened. I make this cake too only I use brownies instead of cake. I've also used real whipping cream instead of cool whip just to add more calories. (haha just what I need, more calories!) If you use real wh. crm. you have to eat it soon. It gets kind of runny if you let it sit too long. Glad you're doing kind of well. Mimi

vignette design said...

That must hurt like you know what! I'm so sorry for you. Hope you feel better soon.
Your dessert recipe is my kind of dessert. I can't wait to try it . It looks like a trifle! --Delores

Alicia said...

I almost broke my tailbone several years ago playing tennis and I loved telling people "I broke ma butt!" But mine wasn't really broken so I'm sure it didn't hurt as much as yours so I hope you heal quickly. I love you blog. God has blessed me with only one sister, but we get into enough trouble together for a whole gaggle of sisters.

This looks delicious. I'm definitely going to try it. Oh and if you have a follow link, I'm signing up to follow you. You seem like a lot of fun!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

This looks and sounds super yummy! I am so excited by the light version! I am going to make this soon!

Sherrie said...

Mmmmmmm that looks divine! I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe. So sorry you broke that tail bone. I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury and hope you are on the mend. The trifle is a keeper!

Marie Rayner said...

HOpe you feel better soon Beth! Our Housekeeper has done the same thing, except she also broke her wrist. I guess once you hit 50 your chorus girl days are well and truly over. Love the pudding cake trifle! Especially the lightness of it! May just have to give this a try!!

Poppedijne said...

This an be nothing else then a devine dessert and sooooo easy!
Have you ever made it with some canned cherry's in between the layers. I can imaging that that must be very tasty. Maybe even with raspberry's or fresh strawberry's !!

~Niki~ said...

*I'm going to act like I never read this post * LOL. Really bad for my diet. Looks wayyy too good for me. lol. hope you are feeling better, my friend!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I didn't know about your mishap. I've had injuries to my tailbone, but never a fracture. I can't imagine how uncomfortable you are! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Your cake is very similar to one of our family favorites, we call Death by Chocolate. It's made with pudding, cool whip, brownies, and heath bars. Yours looks scrumptious!

Southern Lady said...

Beth, I hope this finds you feeling better, and letting your sweet family pamper you while you recuperate.

Your Chocolate Pudding Cake looks wonderful. I hope "someone" makes one for you this weekend.

Take care, my friend.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'm sorry to hear of your injury. I hope it mends quickly. Your dessert looks and sounds delicious. Have a fabulous Foodie Friday.

Shawn said...

Cheryl, would you please just become my personal chef? Your recipes always look so good.

The Muse said...

This HAS to be the food the Angels give as part of their Welcome Wagon goodie basket!

Oh my gosh...just looking it at, can stir ones spirit!

(ps do you have a "special" doughnut pillow?)
Poor thing :)
xo
HUGS

Lindsay-ann said...

Hello Beth
Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving me a lovely comment. I am very pleased to meet you. Any friend of Lorrie's is a friend of mine.
I have enjoyed my visit to your great blog today. Your chocolate pudding looks delicious, my husband would devour that very quickly I am sure! My daughter hijacks my blog too sometimes. Those 'fruity' pictures your daughter shared were fantastic. Your grandchildren look adorable all dressed for the nativity. I hope to visit you again soon if that's ok.
Best Wishes from snowy England.
Lindsay
x

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Boy, this looks superb, Beth! YUM!


XO,

Sheila :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, I got so excited over that dessert, I nearly forgot to tell you that I'm sending your tail bone get well wishes! :-)

Jennifer said...

Oh yummy! It sounds so good, plus easy to make. I can do this. I am glad you are feeling a little better. At least you were enjoying yourself! =)

Take care of yourself!

Jennifer

Sue said...

Hi beth,
What a super delicious looking cake, I can see why everyone loves it.
Thank you for sharing.

So glad you are getting better, just rest and try not to join any chorus lines anytime soon. lol.
Hugs,
Sue

Melissa Miller said...

Oh you are making me soooo hungry. Yum! What an amazing recipe.

Stay warm! ~Melissa :)

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Oh no, so sorry about your "accident." That sounds painful! Hope are mending quickly, and at least you have a good story to go with your injury! :)

The cake sounds and looks divine! I'll have to try this one, especially the light version! ~hugs, Rhonda :)

Sarah said...

Oh, Beth, OUCH! Prayers for your poor tailbone...

I see that we have the same round, red placemats, but where did you get that wonderful glass dish for that incredible dessert?? Yum, yum.

I need to lose some weight from the holidays. Too much yummy food. :(

Elizabeth

Elizabeth said...

Oops! I wrote you under my daughter, Sarah's account.
Elizabeth

~Niki~ said...

Not sure what you meant about trade *beth*. With my constant cycling of depression, work, and now school studies, I'm overwhelmed and it makes my mind foggy. LOL. I forgot if I was supposed to trade u something or was that just a funny comment I missed LOL. {duh}
school is going good. The new school I started at is a bit much...ugh...the teacher I work with is quitting at the end of the semester and going 'full suit' against the district! gulp. long story...I just need to last til May. It's a paycheck, right? Wish Jason would make enough for me to stay home w/ the kids and I could focus on my studies. Oh well, in my next life, maybe? Hugs sweetie.

honeysuckle said...

C,
I want to come bring you something while you are recuperating. Will you e-mail me your address? Would love to meet you. (Am I stalking you?)

The Muse said...

dropping hugs and love...
and an armful of prayers :)

thinking of you... !!!

jeanne said...

Oh my gosh Beth, I did not know about your tailbone. I am so sorry to hear about your accident. That is the worst pain to deal with. It happened to my sister. It was good to hear you were laughing and having fun though. This is a long recovery Beth. Sigh.
You are in my prayers Beth for a good recovery and faster too, if possible.

The recipe you shared looks and sounds delicious. I laughed at how it came about. The mother of invention is necessity, they say. HA!

I know you will rest and please take it easy. Read some good books while your loved ones take care of you. You would be the first one to help them dear Beth.

Love, hugs and blessings, Jeanne

Nanette Merrill said...

That looks so incredibly amazing. Beautiful and delicious. I hope you are getting along better.

I mostly use edge to edge quilting now because it is cheaper. Eaglemountainquilting.com is where I take my quilts. SHe's very reasonable.

Pattie D said...

Thanks for your visit. We can't wait to see this new little one! It will be several weeks though, it is just too hard to get away during school. I am glad you like her name, I do too, but we have heard several jokes about it, hope she doesn't get teased. I hope you are feeling better each day. I think about you often!
hugs
tricia

The Muse said...

TUSHY CHECK :) !!!
((HUGS)))

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

OH No I am so sorry to hear this bad news. Oh it hurts just thinking about it. I hope your better soon and please take care
Maggie
PS
This dessert looks so good

Anonymous said...

That looks yummy,i think i'm going to try it.....Kathy

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

Auntie - I found you at Just a Bed of Roses. I don't bake anymore but I have been wanting a trifle bowl for quite some time. I think I've found a vintage one that I want. SO

I've copied your Choc Pudding Cake receipt, and, I will be making that for my family. They are going to pass out.

I'm so sorry to hear about your tail bone. I'm also sorry to tell you that it won't be healed in 6 months. More like 3 years, and then the rest of you life you are going to feel it at times. I broke my tail bone on my wedding night, 38 years ago. I ran and jumped on an old sofa we got from someone - it had a broken board right where I sat.

Maybe your's won't be that way. Oh, I'm sure it won't. But just in case you can contact me, cuz I feel your pain.

Big Hugs
cindy@stitches

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

Hi Beth, one of my best friends name was Beth while I was growing up. Thank you for visiting me. Wow! We have alot in common don't we. You say you have family living in South Jordan? I heard about a man that died at church. I'm on 2200 West and Hobbs Drive. Where is your family?

I've been on this weight loss program for two months and I'll be on it the rest of my life. It's soooo easy, so nutritional, and keeps my body in fat burning mode. It's made up of 5 of their meals a day and 1 green meal that I make. It's 5-7oz of meat and 1 1/2 cups of vegtables. I have been loosing 5lbs a week. A new order comes onces a month and costs up to $285.00.

My back problems started when I was 14. I was a pedestrian and I was hit by a car. My back problems started when I was 30. I gained weight over these last 10 years and caused heck with my back.

Here's my e-mail,and phone number cindygeilmann@yahoo.com
801-553-9145

CB said...

I've been thinking about you - Hope you are doing well :D

sue derose said...

I love anything in a trifle dish. Makes it look so elegant! I sure hope you are healing and doing better. I was so sad to hear you got hurt like that.

The Gathering Place said...

I hope you are recovering from your injury! It looks like you have a LOT of fans wishing the same thing. Thanks for sharing the delicious cake recipe. We made it for a birthday party and it was yummy!
JoAnn