Monday, January 25, 2010

Slow Down and Savor the Joys ~ You never know when...

How many of us really know what the next 10 - 5 years or even one year will be like, let alone next week or even tomorrow? Life can change in a blink of an eye. Like the lives of our next door neighbors and dear friends. Connie told us Christmas Eve Day, the doctors gave Rob only 2 weeks to 3 months to live with his newly found brain tumor, when we ran into them at the local market. We stood in the grocery store holding on to each other as tears streamed down all of our faces. She said, "Here we are shopping, it all seems so surreal..."

Sunday, I was listening to a Christian program, The Spoken Word, featuring the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The message was poignant with all  that has been happening lately. They interwove their beautiful music around the the words of Lloyd Newell, scriptures and with a poem by David L Weatherford.

SLOWDANCE

Have you ever watched kids on a merry-go-round,
or listened to rain slapping the ground?

Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight,
or gazed at the sun fading into the night?
You better slow down, don't dance so fast,
time is short, the music won't last.

Do you run through each day on the fly,
when you ask "How are you?", do you hear the reply?

When the day is done, do you lie in your bed,
with the next hundred chores running through your head?

You better slow down, don't dance so fast,
time is short, the music won't last.

Ever told your child, we'll do it tomorrow,
and in your haste, not see his sorrow?

Ever lost touch, let a friendship die,
'cause you never had time to call and say hi?

You better slow down, don't dance so fast,
time is short, the music won't last.

When you run so fast to get somewhere,
you miss half the fun of getting there.

When you worry and hurry through your day,
it's like an unopened gift thrown away.
Life isn't a race, so take it slower,
hear the music before your song is over.
David L.Weatherford

This message rings true to my heart. Our son, his wife and five sweet grandchildren have been staying with us for a week.

Last Sunday while attending their church meetings they received word her father had suffered a massive heart attack and died just after he too,  had arrived at church. Their family hurried home to quickly pack and our son headed to his office to arrange the necessary therapy programs for his patients for the upcoming week.

Then they had a long 5 hour drive, before our daughter in law could be with her mom and siblings. I remember the long drive I endured after hearing my own dad had passed away and I knew it wasn’t going to be easy for her and it wasn't.

She was her daddy's little girl and always will be. They had an extraordinarily special relationship.
 Her dad's funeral was this past Saturday. It was beautifully done and the sweet spirit of the Savior was felt by all in attendance.
 I love the comfort and peace Heavenly Father sends to us when we need it the most. Our dil is the youngest of 10 children who were all there with their families. They have 34 grandchildren and many great grandchildren which filled the chapel.  Our love and sympathy goes out to all of his family.

After the family had family prayer in a private room and the casket was closed, the audience rose in respect for the family as they followed behind grandpa Jay’s casket into the chapel.
.
My heart lurched ...when we saw our sweet, little five year old Caden enter helping the mortician  push his grandpa Jay's casket, while holding his grandma Jamar’s hand and pulling her along!  She looked at me a winked as she tried to keep up with him. :*) 

I wish I could have taken a picture of this priceless moment as he was taking care of both of his grandparents whom he loved,  with all of his five year old heart.  It was sweet tender moment I will never forget.

Grandpa Jay had danced a beautiful song, for he was one who listened to the music and made cherished memories for his family. He was a man of few words with an incredibly large spirit,  and full of integrity. He was tender, loving and lived a wonderful and honorable life. He and his wife recently served a service mission together to the less fortunate.
Even though the circumstances were not what we expected or wanted, we sure enjoyed having our son's precious family with us for a whole week.
Sweet and happy little Archie

 is growing so fast, it was good to spend the time with him.  He is so soft, kissable, all smiles and talks all the time. What a joy he is!
The kids were so good, delightful and easily entertained as as they spent hours played with  blocks.


 

They enjoyed playing with cousins and doing their magic handshake when they said goodbye.


They played lots of games.  We watched Tom and Jerry and we went to a movie and saw
"Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs!"  It wasn't grandpa B's favorite though! LOL


I loved finding Eliza reading little 4 month old Archie a story. He was talking right back as if he understood everything.:*)
I was most impressed with our grandchildren’s knowledge of what happens after death and grateful for their parents who have taught them well. It sure made this a better and more peaceful experience for them.

Again, it our little Caden who told us, “Grandpa’s body isn’t sleeping, he died and his spirit is in heaven with Jesus” as he pointed to the sky. He said, “When the resurrection comes, grandpa will be able to walk again! It really is okay, because we are a forever family!” He believed every word he was saying. Out of the mouth of babes. I thought ‘resurrection’ was a such big word for a little guy who had just turned 5 in November.

Our friends Rob and Connie left just after Christmas to visit his parents in San Diego for three weeks.
They and their seven children and families  also went to  play and spend time together at Sea World and Disneyland. They are building lasting memories with their family with the time Rob has left.

This past month has made me realize time IS short and we need to spend time where it really counts. Many say if they could live their lives over, they would spend it building cherished memories with those they love, building people up instead of tearing them down,  and being of service and doing good to those in need.

I hope I will dance a little slower, enjoy the music and savor the simple joys of each day. I have missed you.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your get well messages. It wasn’t just my ‘tushy’ that has been smarting, although it is doing sooo much better!:-)

Please Slow down, Enjoy today and take time to Listen to the music.
 Remember to Savor even the simple joys of life!
~♥~

29 comments:

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

This is such a sad and beautiful post Beth. Thanks for sharing the joys ( your beautiful grandchildren) and the sorrows.
Cindy

Lorrie said...

Beth this post is a loving tribute to loved ones and to life itself. I'm so sorry for the loss of Grandpa Jay and the sorrow you are all feeling. These sudden tragic losses do seem surreal. But, as Caden said so well, you "are a forever family" and I'm so thankful that we who know the Lord can grieve with hope.

Time is short, and we need to make the most of our times with family and friends, not letting being too busy rob us of those chances.

susan said...

Beth-I loved every word of this post! We are definitely not promised tomorrow. I know you must be proud and grateful for the way your grandchildren are being brought up. To have such knowledge and peace as children is a gift...Caden is wise beyond his years. I will keep them in my prayers. I LOVED the picture of Eliza reading! (That is my daughter's favorite name--maybe one day I will have a granddaughter Eliza too!!) Thank you for such a thoughtful post.

Southern Lady said...

What a beautiful and inspiring post, Beth. I'm going to copy and print the poem and keep it where I can see it every day. It certainly puts things into perspective, doesn't it.

Your family is beautiful and is so blessed to have you at the center of their lives.

My heart goes out to your friends Rob and Connie, and I will say a prayer for them and their family.

Pattie D said...

Thanks for the tears this morning! I am so sorry for your dil, I made that trip in reverse, we were in Utah and my dad was in Boise, when he suffered his massive heart attack. It is hard to let go of those we love when it is so sudden. It is so good that she has you, who understands her sorrow and grief. What a sweet little boy who has been tender taught the Great Plan of Happiness, obviously from birth. I agree, I don't think resurrection is a common word to a 5 year old vocabulary. But what a tender compassionate gesture from one so young.
Life is what happens while we are making plans....all to often that is so true and it is so wise of us to spend our life with those we love and cherish and living that Christ like life of love and service.
Take care dear friend, glad the backside is healing.
I miss you when you are not here, but look forward to your wonderful words of inspiration!
hugs

The Gathering Place said...

That is a wonderful message we all need to hear. Too often we wish our lives away and then we can't take back the time. I'm glad you got to spend some time with your grandchildren. That is time well spent!
JoAnn

Jennifer said...

((Hugs)) for you sweet Beth. It has been an emotionally tough time for you lately and I know you have a lot on your heart. I am sorry for the loss and sadness surrounding your loved ones and friends. Thank you for the reminder to slow down and savor each day.

xo, Jennifer

Just a bed of roses said...

So sorry about this sudden death of a good man so close to your family. And I hope your neighbors are handling things well.

I cried when I watched the spoken word sunday... Lloyd Newell does a magnificent job of delivering his own written messages. That one was precious and then so appropriate for what is going on in your life.

Instead of being flustered by having five little children living with you, it makes you appreciate and respect that you CAN have them and enjoy those precious moments.

Thanks for sharing your special thoughts with us at this time

Barb said...

What a heartfelt post! You have a beautiful family and such cute grandkids, I'll bet you had fun with them. I'm so sorry to hear of your dil's father, how difficult that must have been for her. I can remember the long drive to Utah after when my father passed away (he was at the Veteran's Hospital)how my heart broke that day. I'm so thankful for the Gospel and for the comfort that it give to us in times of trial. Families will be together forever!

We must have been on the same brain wave - my post yesterday was about time slipping away from us. It's so true, we need to cherish every moment! Blessings to you and your family.

Barb

honeysuckle said...

What a sweet and important post- to savor the moments. You have been through a lot lately. I hope you are filling your cup as well as giving to others of your wonderful spirit. My best wishes go to you and your family and those you love.

Sherrie said...

Wow that was powerful. Thanks for that beautiful message and reminder. I will definately work on slowing down and savoring every single moment I can where it counts. Really sorry for your family's loss of such a wonderful man.

Anonymous said...

What a great post my friend. Filled with such sweetness from beginning to end. Sad for your DIL but what a blessing to know what we do. Their baby is amazing...I'm always in awe that a baby can be only 4 mo. old but be of intelligent. Sounds like you have been having wonderful family times...practicing what you preach. I never get to hear the spoken word because our ward starts at 10...but i do love it. We used to take our family to Salt Lake on Sun. morning once in a while to attend the broadcasts. Have a great week! come say hi :D

The Muse said...

The glories of what awaits us, is the light and hope which we must keep ever present in our lives...for yes...so quickly, in the blink of an eye...this life can be altered.

I echo the sentiments of your other readers..this post pained me and brought tears...and the tears flowed more, as they moved from sorrow and sympathy to ones of joy, of hope and renewal.

For in the ones that will carry on..those children and grandchildren...who watch us so intently...

They are His clay...He is the Potter and we are their wheel.

I pray for your friends, and your family. And send love to you.

Cottage Rose said...

What a beautiful yet sad post,, your story has touched my Heart.. My thoughts and Prayers will be with your DIL and your friends family... the poem was so eye opening, thank you for sharing your bitter sweet story with us.. God Bless;

Hugs;
Alaura

CB said...

That was a very well written, thoughtful, heartfelt and beautiful post.
My eyes teared up when I could picture your little grandson pushing his grandpa's casket and holding his grandma's hand - and the great faith of children.
Thank goodness for the gospel message, for the knowledge. I am so sorry for you DIL.
I love the poem and everything you said about slowing down and loving those around us is so true.
Have a Happy Day!

Brenda said...

Hello Friend!

I have missed you! Thank you for your beautiful post. You have such a dear sweet family! Thank you for the reminder to slow down and enjoy each and every day a little more. You have beautiful grandchildre. You must be so proud!

Stay warm!
Sending hugs!
Love, Brenda

Betty said...

Such a nice post. Yes, none of us knows from one heart beat to the next what is going to happen.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Beautiful thoughts. My heart to your family.

Mimi Sue said...

The older I get the more I know that this is true. Living in the moment is so important. It's a hard thing to do. Especially for me. Your kids are doing a wonderful job with their kids. Love to see that. Wonderful poem too. Glad to know we can be forever families. Mimi

~Niki~ said...

That was a great post *c* and you are oh so right, stop and smell the flowers, enjoy the scenery, listen to the word, and pray pray pray. LIfe is way too short. thank you, my friend, for this post.

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

Very melancholy and tender post.

I just want the dance to never stop....and the music to continue on..and on....and I know it does, just not in our same mortal perspective. Like the ship on the horizon, we on the shore watch until she sails out of sight, and we say, there she goes, and they standing on the distant shores, when they see her billowy sails, shout here she comes!

I'm so sorry for your son and DIL and their little family. Share with them some more hugs.
Thank you for this sweet reminder that we need to hold on to our faith and live it every moment and cherish our dear ones.

♥ Mercy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

You have no idea how very poignant your words are, sweet Beth! This is without a doubt your tour de force, a post among posts! Loved every beautiful word, and while my heart is heavy for that sweet family, I'm glad they will have time together.

The funny thing is that the Lord has convicted me recently to slow down and enjoy each day. All last year, my scripture was "This is the day that the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." I have always been a person who was looking ahead (the baby of the family) or behind (because someone I knew and loved was gone from my life), but the older I get, the more I understand the importance of the here and now.

Thank you for sharing this with us, Beth, and I loved that part about your grandson discussing the hereafter. Thank the Good Lord in Heaven that we have eternal life through Jesus. While that doesn't make us miss the ones who have gone on ahead any less, it certainly makes it easier knowing that they are waiting for us. God is SO good! If I didn't have Christ, I don't know what I would do at times, but praise be to God, I do have Him! :-) Mr. Magpie feels the same way.

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

P.S. Please give my condolences to your dear DIL and son. I pray that the Lord will hold them close to His heart of mercy. I remember so well losing not only my father, but my mother, and it is never easy. I don't care if the person is nine or ninety. XOXOXO

The Quintessential Magpie said...

And to their sweet children. Man, this has turned into a looooong post, but I keep forgetting to say what I want to you. Have missed you much!

Doran & Jody said...

Loved your post and I am so sorry for the loss of your loved one. Best wishes to your family!

jeanne said...

Dear Beth, I am so sorry about your friend who has cancer and the passing of your Dil's father. Blessings and prayers will be said often for all of them. You are so right about how a day can change our lives. It can be wonderful or so sad. Lets hope for wonderful.

Your post is beautiful and leaves such an impression of love and the beautiful relationships with the members of your family. Beautiful photos full of love as well. A wonderful tribute from one of the most caring people I know. That would be you Beth. You are a blessing to everyone you come in contact with. Including me.

Love and blessings to you and your family, Jeanne

Brenda said...

Hello Sweet Friend!

I have a Scripture Bag for the large scriptures listed on my esty if you would like to look at it!
Thanks for visiting my shop! ;)

Thanks,
Brenda

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Beth I came by to say goodmorning and to check on you and found this post.
What a lovely but sad post and it makes us all want to reach out and hug everyone we meet today.
I would love to copy this and send to my family.
Your son and family are beautiful I know your proud
Thanks for sharing
Maggie

The Muse said...

Hello Sweets! :) LOL
Glad you were able to find the giveaway. When you do put up the link...please put both links.

Something like
Enter At: www.adivashammer.com
(if no access try .........)

I am using my down time to literally comb through every comment in every post...and all the code...trying to find what is amiss...

AVG tells me there is a bad link.
Oh gosh that could be from someone who doesn't' blog anymore and there url is gone. Or it could be from ...oh who knows!

LOL

I need chocolate...badly LOL