It is my prayer to NEVER forget the sacrifices of our men and women who have fought and even given their lives for our freedoms.
On this Veteran’s Day I wanted to share with you, some of the war monuments we visited in
Washington DC, last spring.
The first war I can even remember was the
Viet Nam War.
Viet Nam War.
I remember the feelings of my parents, older siblings when they had friends who were drafted into service. The worry and then the grief, when some of them didn’t get to come home.
The first time I visited the Viet Nam Memorial, a sweet white haired lady was grieving for her son, as she scribbled over his name on a piece of paper with a pencil. He husband helped her up and they slowly walked away arm in arm.
I will never forget that moment. I too felt a lump rise in my throat and felt the pain of this mother who had lost her son so long ago. Nor will I forget, realizing that each of these thousand of names represent sons, husbands, brothers and fathers who never got to go back home to loved ones... I felt over whelmed and humbled. They died for me and my family and yours to enjoy the freedoms we do...
Even the children felt the reverence as people quietly passed the names of those being honored...
The personal notes
flowers and pictures of these sons and husbands
and fathers line the bottom of the wall.
Mr B found the name of his friend, who had gone to our high school.
This is the Korean War Memorial
The emotions etched forever on these soldiers faces tell their story of fear, honor and commitment. Our men and women are still fighting to keep us safe in lands far away. We honor you and your families!
Then the War that forever left an imprint on our family ~ both Mr B's and mine, was World War II.
World War 2 Memorial
Our dads both left their sweethearts behind, when they went to war. They are my own personal heros!
My mom and dad
My Dad was only 19 when he served under General Patton. He was a private 1st class in battery B 869th infantry Division, in Patton’s third army. Dad saw some of the worst atrocities of the war. He never spoke of his war experiences to us. Mainly because he couldn’t! He was among some of the first to liberate the Jews from Auschwitz...
My Dad was only 19 when he served under General Patton. He was a private 1st class in battery B 869th infantry Division, in Patton’s third army. Dad saw some of the worst atrocities of the war. He never spoke of his war experiences to us. Mainly because he couldn’t! He was among some of the first to liberate the Jews from Auschwitz...
I found out when I read his obituary, he had been awarded a purple heart for being shot twice. I had never known!!! After his death, I scoured through letters he had written to my mom and grandma, just to know him and understand dad a bit better. He suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, although no one even knew what it was back then. I have read books and visited holocaust museums, trying to understand what he went through. I have come to understand why he shut that part of his life away from us.
Even recently, I learned he helped President Ezra Taft Benson, then the Secretary of State, deliver and distribute relief supplies to many Europeans following the war.
Mr B's parents
My Father in Law served aboard the Appleton Victory as a gunner in the Pacific. He is being honored today, along with his fellow veteran’s. They have his original Navy uniform on a mannequin, and pictures of all the veterans who live in his Senior Living Community.
To end this rather somber, yet grateful Outdoor Post, I want to share a poem my FIL wrote to my Mother in Law while aboard his ship. He is quite the poet and shares his thoughts through poems often.
This one will be read at their Veteran's Day celebration.
G.I.
Sitting upon my G.I. bed
My G.I. hat on my head,
My G.I. pants my G.I. shoes.
Everything free, nothing to lose.
G.I. razor, G.I. Comb,
G.I. wish I were home.
They issue everything I need,
Paper to write on, books to read.
They issue food to make me grow.
G.I. want a long furlough.
G.I. this and G.I. that,
G.I. haircut, G.I. hat.
Everything is G.I. issue
All but you my dear, G.I. miss you.
:-) I thought this one was very sweet.
I am and will always be forever grateful to each of our soldiers, including our own dads, for their sacrifices. Both, those who were able to return home and to those who were not.
I am and will always be forever grateful to each of our soldiers, including our own dads, for their sacrifices. Both, those who were able to return home and to those who were not.
A very heartfelt Thank You on this Veterans Day!
Cherish Freedom, It is not free!
Please visit our gracious hostess Susan, at a Southern Daydreamer to visit more outdoor posts today!
I always enjoy the Wednesday posts and seeing more of our beautiful world and visiting with good friends.
I always enjoy the Wednesday posts and seeing more of our beautiful world and visiting with good friends.
~♥
















27 comments:
Beth, this was beautiful. What your poor father must have gone through. I have read extensively about the death camps, and I think the soldiers who liberated them must have thought they had walked into hell on earth while the prisoners must have thought the American soldiers were angels of mercy.
I loved every word. And we come one step closer... my uncle was an officer on a destroyer in the Pacific theatre. And he did another tour of duty later.
Love to you and tell Mr. B we said "THANKS"!
XO,
Sheila
This is a sad day for me also Beth. My dad lost both his legs in WW11. I posted about him.
It's my way of saying thank you to all who are still fighting these horrible wars. Will it ever end?
Thanks for remembering.
Happy OW
Love Claudie
xoxo
This is such a humbling post!! I experienced chills. Awesome, just simply awesome.
My O W is a nearby marshland with waterfowl and Autumn colors...and a surprise L N Monster visit!!!
Come by and see
I can only say thank you for this fabulous post. I can feel your emotion as I read and it brings tears to my eyes.
xo, Jennifer
One of my husband's uncle died in Germany. It is sad that some of them did not able to come home but they will be remember3ed forever for their brave contribution to our country's freedom.. Beautiful post!
I explored the Jogging trail this time.
Beautiful and tearful post. Great tribute and remembrance for all veterans.
War never made sense to me and it still doesn't.
I wonder how "free" we really are?
How can lives that are being lost today in a senseless war in another part of the world, save my freedom?
Are we really free or are we just brainwashed into believing that we are free?
Why are young men and women putting their lives on the line, for what?
Have they all been bamboozled by the folks who have to gain financially from war?
Why are our veterans forgotten, the ones who return alive?
Why don't they have health insurance?
Why doesn't the plight of veterans get more media time so that we know how badly we are treating veterans at home?
I have lots of questions that I doubt anyone has a good answer for. Defending my freedom is a lame answer, freedom from what?
It's Veteran's Day... at one time it was known as Armistice Day... originally it was a day where the world celebrated peace, the signing of a treaty at 11am on November 11, 1918.
Today, I chose to celebrate peace, not war.
Today, we seem to be celebrating war and this makes me sad.
Where's the peace? Why can't we all just get along?
Why do people have to die or lose their minds for no good reason?
Why do we only honor veterans one day a year? What about the other 364 days?
I see veterans on street corners, holding signs... homeless, penniless and left wondering why the country that they love so much has forgotten them?
I will never understand war, ever.
Thank You for a touching post honoring all of our Veterans. Too often, as Sue says they are forgotten. War has always seemed so senseless to me too.
I can't even fathom what your dad must have gone through and been a part of.
General Patton pushed his men very hard. My daddy also fought with him and he did tell us the horrors of the fighting. I am totally in awe of these wonderful men and very grateful ours came home.
Thank You for this reminder,
Lanie
Lovely Veteran's Day post.
My Daddy served in WWII, also. After my son came back from Iraq, I heard my Dad talking to him about his own experience. He shared more that day than ever before. I suppose, one soldier to another. We've been learning about the Honor Flight and the tribute paid to these men who are still living. I wish my Daddy could have lived to take on of these trips. He would have been blessed so to see the memorial and to be with others from the greatest generation.
Mama Bear
Wonderful, touching post. Thanks!!
What a loving tribute to the heroes in your life. It was beautiful.
Such a heart touching post today dear friend. Your Dad..such a hero! Yes, we must never, never forget how very precious freedom is!Thank You! :D
This is a wonderful post Beth. I've been to the War Memorials in DC and it is very moving and emotional.
Our city has been having "Flights Of Honor" where funds are raised to send WWII veterans on a chartered jet to Washington for the day to see all of the memorials, have lunch, and remember their service to our country. Many of these brave men and women are wheelchair bound now due to old age, and there are volunteers who go on these flights to accompany them and help them through the day. They leave early in the morning for their special day and they return after dark to a hero's welcome at the airport where the plane taxis through a huge arc of water created by the hoses of firetrucks out on the tarmac. Hundreds of people turn out at the airport to greet and thank them for their service. It's a way to try to say thank you to "The Greatest Generation."
This is a lovely post. Your FIL's poem is wonderful. I don't think any of us who have not been in their shoes can understand what the men and women who serve or served have experienced. That's why they are a unique family unto themselves. Bless them every single one.
I love living in a free country that has been protected against destruction and take over by those who would have us live under dictatorship or communist rule. My dad and uncles all served. My future son-in-law is active duty. I am grateful for them.
Robin
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! I enjoyed it and yes, I probably live or near your neck of the woods. Very popular name!
Loved your post today, I will enjoy browsing here more!!!!
Beautiful post. One of my favorite things to do on this day is to attend the Veteran's Day Concert at the U fo U. Our veterans are real heroes!
Thank you for a touching post honoring all of our Veterans. It is true that freedom is certainly not free and that all too often, our heroes are forgotten.
Thank you for the reminder and such a touching tribute to our veterans.
~ Tracy
This was touching and beautiful, Beth, and I sent it to Chris immediately this a.m., so he could enjoy it on "his" day. We especially LOVED the poem.
I hope you'll drop in at Lawn Tea tomorrow---it's my 300th post and first anniversary.
rachel
This was such a touching, heartfelt post. My daughter had the privilege of going to Washington DC a year ago and said that the war memorials were the most memorable thing she saw on her trip. I love the poem you shared, so sweet. Thank you for a beautiful post. Kathy
What a moving tribute, Beth. Thanks for posting this.
Wow, beth!
This was a GREAT post! I love the poems the very best, I think.
Beth, did your father pass away recently, then? I knew you were visiting him a lot. When did it happen?
Thank you so much for sharing all of this on your post. I LOVED
P.D. Thanks for telling me my video wasn't working. I fixed it! :)
Beth
Thank you so much for this beautiful post for Veterans day.
I am upset that I did not do a post. Yours is so wonderful.
Love the pictures and stories about your and Mr B's parents.
Lovely post
Maggie
Thanks for the post. It's good stock we come from.
I'm glad I didn't miss this post. Veterans Day was spent with my mom in the hospital. Thankfully she is home and recouperating.
The letter is so sweet and powerful. What a blessing that both of your fathers made it back home. As you know so many didn't.
I've never been to the Vietnam wall. There is a traveling wall that's been in the area on display but it was when the girls were younger and there just wasn't time. Someday I'll get there.
Glad you received my note. I wasn't sure if I'd sent it correctly. Take care.
Sharon
I posted about him.
It's my way of saying thank you to all who are still fighting these horrible wars
Web hosting india
So happy to come upon your blog this evening.
I plan on coming back to read some more!
My dad was a WWII vet as well. What a generation of americans! So Strong and selfless. It is so sad to know we are losing them all.
Post a Comment