Friday, July 17, 2009

Thatcher Island and the Mayflower

The past few weeks I have re~visted a love of mine ~ researching genealogy and family history. We are in the midst of several family reunions and I seem to be the one on my side of the family, who has been designated to keep records.

~
One of my first blogging friend’s
Sharon , posted some gorgeous pictures of Thatcher Island off of Cape Ann, in Massachusetts. She and her daughter and a friend took a trip there recently and took some an awesome pictures.

I remember reading in a book of history of my husband’s family about Anthony Thatcher and his wife being shipwrecked during a hurricane on August 11, 1635. They lost all 5 of their children and also his cousin Avery died along with all 11 members of his family who were also drowned. Anthony and his wife were the sole survivors of the shipwreck.


Pictures taken by Sharon of 'A new England life.') Please click to see more of her fabulous work!


Anthony Thatcher wrote of the miraculous and heart wrenching account of each detail of this terrifying occurrence to his brother Peter, just a few days after it took place... He spoke of how hard it was to watch each of their five children die, amongst others he loved... and his miraculous devine intervention of survial. They were on their way from Ipswich to Marblehead, Mass to Marblehead, where His cousin Avery, had been invited to be the new pastor.

He said, sweet mercies were further sent from the Lord, when Anthony found his son William’s coat, a hat and his wife found her petticoat which had washed ashore. All their clothes had been ripped from their bodies from the incredible force of the hurricane wind and waves. He also found a knapsack with DRY flint and a stone to make a fire to warm their cold and numb bodies. Also was found some cheese and butter to sustain them until help arrived.

It is an awe inspiring account written by his own hand in old English of an ancestor who lost not only his children, but all their worldly goods.

On September 3, 1635 (1637), A Governor Winthrop at the time of Massachusetts Colonial Records, states that Anthony was given forty marks and was given the small island at the head of Cape Ann for his inheritance and for all they went through and lost.

Anthony originally named the Island, 'Thacher's Woe.'

The Island was named, ' Thatcher Island', after the family. . .

The family name was mispelled. It is spelled without the T.


(Taken by Sharon of 'A new England Life.')
Thankfully they were able to have more children :)

I often think about what our ancestors and what they went through. We have enjoyed having Anthony’s written account of the incident, but it was a joy to see the beautiful pictures Sharon took and I consider it a blessing. To actually see where this part of the history of our family took place. Just another way, friends in this blogging world bless our lives!
These sweet g~~grandmother of my husbands, descended from Anthony Thatcher and his wife.
~
Just another thought..... In my life I have known 6 generations. Several great grandparents, grandparents, parents, ourselves, children and now our grandchildren.

Reviewing my own genealogy and knowing just 12 generations ago, my progenitor grandfather, John Howland came over on the Mayflower.
After seeing and knowing these 6 generations, it really makes those 12 generations seem NOT that long ago!


If other friends out there are also related to John Howland, who was married Elizabeth Tilley, I descend from their daughter Hannah.

Hey, Are any of you, my long lost cousins????



It is reported that currently there are over 10 million living descendants of the 52 Mayflower Pilgrims who had children. Listed below are some of the notable descendants of John and Elizabeth Howland. (This information was taken from Wikipedia)


Maude Adams (stage actress)
Humphrey Bogart (film actor)
Phillips Brooks (wrote "O Little Town of Bethlehem")
George Herbert Walker Bush (41th U.S. President)
Barbara Bush (U.S. First Lady)
George W. Bush (43nd U.S. President)
John Ellis "Jeb" Bush (Florida Governor)
Ralph Waldo Emerson (poet)
Nathaniel Gorham (Continental Congress President)
Esther Allen Howland (produced the first American Valentines)
Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. (U.S. Senator)
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(poet)
Franklin Delano Roosevelt (32nd U.S. President)
Lillian Russell (stage & film actress)
Joseph Smith (founder, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)



Enjoy a fabulous weekend!

Beth

12 comments:

Shauna said...

What a cool post! Hope you have a super weekend also :) ♥ HUGS ♥

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

I LOVE family history too! You know, your ancestors probably knew my husband's ancestors. His direct gr-grandfather was William Brewster, the oldest man at the first Thanksgiving dinner. And MY direct gr-grandfather, Archbishop Edwin Sandys, was his former employer in England. Cool, huh?

Cindy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Loved that interesting story, Beth, and Ipswich??? I had ancestors there. The Whipples. They have an excellent website for all of the Whipples in America, but John of Ipswich is my progenitor of one line. From that one line are some wonderful Americans including Mark Twain, Clara Barton, Susan B. Anthony, FDR, Coolidge, Tennessee Williams, and others. I am also thinking that Brigham Young comes from that line. Isn't he the founder of your faith?

Please check to see if you have any lines that would tie us together there. Also, speaking of Gov. Winthrop, I descend from the Rev. Roger Williams of Massachsetts and later RI (he founded Providence and was the governor of RI). He was given the left foot of fellowship from MA because of his extreme religious views and for saying things like the colonists had stolen the land from the Indians and needed to compensate them, etc. Not very popular thoughts. Gov. Winthrop had sent for him, and then he had his hands full trying to contain him. LOL! ;-)

I keep hoping we'll find a connection. Genealogy is fun!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Elizabeth said...

Wow, what a horrible trial the Thatchers went through. Whew. How brave they must have been. God bless them. Isn't family history great? I just LOVE it...Can't wait to meet all these people when we get to the Other Side!
Hugs!

Elizabeth said...

Have you ever read "The Winthrop Woman"? It's a true story about the 1600's.

nikkicrumpet said...

Just stopping in to say "HI" I miss you guys like crazy. I love Sharon's pictures...I'm so glad you used them in this great post! I hope all is well with you and yours, and that you're having a great summer!

A New England Life said...

Well isn't that something. What a terribly sad story but glad you told it nontheless.

You are welcome to use my photo's Beth. I know you would never misrepresent them. Maybe someday you and your husband will make it to Gloucester to see the island for yourself. It's a trip well worth taking I assure you.

Hope your having a wonderful summer! There will be more Twin Lighthouse photo's to come ... eventually.

Sharon : )

Anonymous said...

That is so fascinating. We have Thatchers in our family tree on my Mother's Mother's Mother's side who came from the East coast of England. Where were your Thatcher's originally from?

My sister is the official "keeper of the scrolls" (rolls of wallpaper showing the family trees) so when I find out new info I pass it on to her.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I just have to tell you again that the garden in your header is absolutely stunning. I just love it and drool just looking at how lush and pretty it is. Family history is so fascinating. We have done a lot of research on ours and always love to find out new things. Great post. I also wanted to let you know that the next "Cloche Party" is scheduled for Sept. 11th. Grab the button on my sidebar to remind you and to tell all your friends. See you there. Hugs, Marty

Michelle said...

Very interesting post...thanks for sharing! Hope your weekend is wonderful, Beth!

Hugs,
Michelle

CB said...

That is a really neat connection. I love history, family history and finding neat stories like this. I was fascinated.
We have some really good friends - Garen and Carrie Thatcher.

Garen is the son of a George Thatcher who just passed away this year. I know they both are from Utah but beyond there I do not know - Hey they could be long lost cousins!

The Gathering Place said...

That was a great post. I love reading stories about brave ancestors who sacrificed so much. I am going to hunt through my genealogy and look for the name Elizabeth Tilley. For some reason it sounds familiar. I love the photos of the island! (I, too, love the connections that blogging opens up.)
Thanks,
JOAnn