Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Perfect Quiet 4th


Last week was one of exhaustion and we were looking forward to a quiet and relaxing fourth to rejuvenate... just the two of us.
Then we got great news! Our kids from Colorado were coming
to join us for the weekend.
It was a delightful surprise and we enjoyed our quiet weekend
with them!:-)
I hadn’t done anything to prepare or to make our home festive for the 4th of July.
I needed some inspiration quick ... So I went to a great source and started to brain storm. My dear blogging friend Honeysuckle .(click) is So talented and puts so much thought and love into all she does. I hope you visit her and get great ideas for your next year's celebration! She hosted a party for friends and then one for her lucky family.

These are a few of my fast ideas.... Crackers Jacks which are always a tradition at our home on the fourth and then some decorated flip flops I had bought during a recent auction at a family reunion worked perfectly
to add some FUN to a cloche.

Our grandchildren thought it was funny Nana had decorated with Flip Flops :)
Red Bandanna Scarves also added a spark of red. You can tell the kitchen was not staged for blogging:) Nor the patio with gardening supplies on the table... Remember we were relaxing!

We loved having our kids join us while we relaxed, went to see The Proposal with Sandra Bullock, watched more movies, went out to a couple of favorite restaurants.
Then for the night of the 4th we went out on our own lawn and we watched our neighbors light up the skies. It was a simple, yet a fun fourth!
Our source of fun entertainment for the day was when our Daughter and her family dropped by to say, "Hi" before attending a BBQ and party with our SIL's family for that evening's BIG firework show.
They wanted to get a picture of their kids for the fourth and tried to
do so at our house... LOL
We laughed and enjoyed all the antics of the adults and kids alike!

The parents were the ones who were hilarious to watch as they tried to get
their four silly kids to cooperate! LOL....

This is picture Number 22 (of mine) and also the last attempt!

I am hoping that one of theirs turned out... as they sure tried hard to get a

decent '4th of July picture' of these adorable kiddles!
*
*

*

Then we were able to get together with them for Sunday Dinner
after church... Just a simple tablescape with yummy food. 11 of our family were missing:-( and we miss them!)
I enjoy Sunday afternoons when our family can get together.
Two more years and our Virginian kids will be back with us! We hope...
I am looking forward to sharing several of our favorite
Summer recipes with you on Friday!

Please do visit Honeysuckle for great ideas in decorating for next year!

Meanwhile, Enjoy a fun and cool week! It is around 97 here today and very dry!



19 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Beth,

It looks like you had a wonderful 4th! Oh, to be a kid again. I can vividly remember all the excitement. Seeing your grandchildren trying to be corraled into a photo was LOL funny!!

I love your cloche!! Great idea...and the bandana's on the chairs~perfect.

I hope your day was as wonderful as it looked!!

xoxo
Jane

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Beth, looks like you had a fun time on the Fourth. Cute as can be Cracker Jack centerpiece, and I love the red bandanas on those stools. DARLING! And look at your cute family!

Glad you had fun...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Jennifer said...

Beth, A simple holiday is more often than not the very best of holidays! It looks like you guys had such a wonderful time with children and grandchildren. I know you will be glad to have your entire family back home together (or at least nearby) soon. It's fun trying to get kids to pose for pictures, and yes, we parents can be REALLY silly trying to get their attention! =)

I do love your simple and fun decorations for the holiday. You are so creative. I do hope things are settling back down for you with your busy schedule. I find that I have too look for simple things to bring me back to my "zone" as well when things are so hectic.

Have a wonderful evening!
Hugs, Jennifer

wenderful said...

Hi! Yes, I am right next door to the constellation town. Just to the west in fact. It is a nice little place. A little out in the country for what I'm used to but safe and quiet. If you have any questions about the area, email me.
w_vonsosen@yahoo.com
I'd be happy to help.
Glad you had a great holiday. Cute ideas you gathered from that Honeysuckle lady. :)

Anonymous said...

The flips flops really adds to the fun in the cloche! I like it very much!

Now this is what I call a nice surprise :-)

I kinda like the candid pictures of the children. Makes a lot of fun stories to tell when they grow up :-)

Shawn said...

I recognize some of those people! Glad you had a nice 4th.

wenderful said...

Hi, Sure looks like fun and I love the flip flops--did you say you made them? I love a little bit of whimsy. The bandanas,-so cute and works for the 24th too. Good job decorating on short notice! Thanks for linking to me. I've sure enjoyed Hudson for a few days. He leaves tomorrow--Boo Hoo. Hope you can relax when all settles down at your house.

Da Bergs said...

Looks like you had great fun!!! (I love the bandanas on the chairs, what a great idea, I hope I remember that next year!!!)

RobinfromCA said...

It looks like you had a great time with your family! And you can never go wrong putting things under a cloche for quick decorating. I love the flip flops!

We have an annual ward picnic on the 4th of July and people who moved away years ago come back for it every year. This year a family came all the way from Delaware! Always the same park and always the same time so we can always be found. It's fun to see who shows up!

After the picnic we also went to see The Proposal. Then a BBQ with games and fireworks at friends. Good times were had!

Robin

Unknown said...

And after all that fun, here's another surprise for you.

Congratulations, Beth, you're the winner of this week's give-away on my blog at Not Entirely British :-)

Please go to my website contact page HERE and send me your email address, which I can forward to Lynn Gardner who will mail you the prize.

Thanks for taking part. Enjoy!

~Niki~ said...

You have a great looking family. The home pictures are fabulous *c* :)
I LOVE crackerjacks too :)

Mimi Sue said...

Keeping it simple is usually much more fun for everyone. I MUST remember that! Looks like you had a wonderful time with your family. Where did you find those cracker jacks? I've been looking in the Layton Walmart but no luck. Mimi

Ashley said...

Your family is beautiful and I'm so happy you had a wonderful 4'th of July!

Just a little something from Judy said...

What great ideas your friend from Honeysuckle gave you! I want to remember them for next year. You have a good looking family and I love seeing all the smiles on their faces. Families sure are a blessing.

blushing rose said...

It is obvious you all enjoyed your gathering on the 4th immensely.

The Proposal was fantastic ... we loved it.

Love the cloche idea ...everything looks so patriotic.
TTFN ~Marydon
PS Pop over for a visit.

Hideaway Girl said...

Nope....there wasn't one good picture in the bunch. We did get some pretty funny ones though.

CB said...

Love the decor and a fun new blog to check for good ideas!
The cracker jacks are such a great touch - Love those for the 4th!!

What a fantastic 4th to spend it with your kids and grandkids - Can't think of much better!!

Job Opportunities said...

Hope to have a family like yours someday. I miss this kind of moments during my childhood.Holidays are best spent together with the family. God bless you all!!!

cash advance said...

These kids were so adorable. We will miss them if they used to be with us. It’s great that your family spends time together even just for once in a week. Don’t worry, 2 years is not that long. Soon, you’ll be spending Sunday’s with your 2 Virginian kids again (“,)…