Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sharing a Halloween Tradition and Memory

A walk down Memory Lane!

Our little family in 1982 starring
Dracula, Bo Peep, Mr. Music Man and our sweet Bunny!
Now our family has grown to twenty of us and still growing:)
*
Memory and Tradition
Every Halloween while I was growing up my mom made Hot Spud Nuts (doughnuts) for all the parents walking their Trick or Treaters. Our home seemed to be the most popular one in our neighborhood and those surrounding it. My mom was famous in our area for her 'melt in the mouth spud nuts' and for being an excellent cook.
This is a tradition I tried to do with our own kids while they were growing up. Tonight our son, the little music man in the family picture along with his wife and four children, will be sharing these wonderful treats with their Trick or Treaters.
It warms my heart to know my children are carrying on family traditions. So if you are in Boise, Idaho you just might be lucky enough to try one of these wonderful doughnuts while out Trick or Treating!

My precious mom is thrilled that her great grandchildren are participating in this fun family tradition tonight!
*
Mom’s Famous Spud Nuts

1 pint mashed potatoes
1 pint scalded milk
½ cup sugar
1 egg
½ cup shortening
1 tsp salt
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp lemon/and or vanilla
about 8 ½ cups flour
Melt shortening in warm milk. When cool enough dissolve the yeast in the milk mixture. Add sugar and egg, beat well. Mix the rest of ingredients and let rise in warm place..
Roll out and cut with your largest doughnut cutter and let rise again.
Deep Fry in hot oil, drain on paper towels laid on crumpled newspapers.
Make a thin icing of powdered sugar and milk in a very large bowl. Add vanilla to taste. Dip the hot and drained spud nuts into the glaze and then place on the handle of a long handled wooden spoon. Place the spoon over the bowl to let the glaze drip for a minute, then slid them onto tray. They do melt in your mouth when warm...
*
*
Now to all you Pumpkins out there,

From one pumpkin to another!
A woman was asked by a coworker,
'What is it like to be a Christian?'
The coworker replied, 'It is like being a pumpkin.'
God picks you from the patch, brings you in,
and washes all the dirt off of you.
Then He cuts off the top and scoops out all the yucky stuff.
He removes the seeds of doubt, hate, and greed.
Then He carves you a new smiling face and
puts His light inside of you to shine
for all the world to see.'
Have a Happy and Safe Halloween!

11 comments:

Naturegirl said...

Happy Halloween to you! I have more Paris images up!hugs NG

Anonymous said...

Love the pumpkin metaphor.

Happy Halloween

Picket said...

Morning you little 'pumpkin'..love those memories and traditions...hope you have another fun and memory making Happy Halloween!

Unknown said...

Hi Beth,
The pumpkin analogy is one of my favorites!

I hope you have a great Halloween!
Thanks for sharing the tradition.

~Niki~ said...

Wanted to let you know I got the pkg back that I sent you, you were my winner, remember? It was rejected by the home owner and sent back 2 me.

nikkicrumpet said...

OHHH I remember years ago when I was living in Utah...there was a place in Provo called "spudnuts" We used to go in there and buy those scrumptious nuggets with a cold Ironport....Dang this post brought back happy memories. It also made me WISH I lived in Idaho!!! have a HAPPY HALLOWEEN! And a BOO-tiful weekend!

The Berry's Patch said...

What great Halloween memories. I just love this holiday. Have a safe and spooky Halloween!

Da Bergs said...

Beth, thank you for the sweet comment, OF COURSE you can share my little analogy and Sis. Dalton's talk with your family and friends!!! We are all in this together... just trying to return home! Have a great day and man, do I wish I lived close... I LOVE spudnuts! I am going to try this recipe!!! THANKS!!! YUM!

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

What a wonderful tradition of spud nuts for Halloween. I'm so glad you shared it with us and, more importantly, that the tradition lives on through your children in their homes.

Hugs,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

great traditions! i had never heard of that recipe - will have to give it a try!
~nicole

Anonymous said...

OOOH...I WISH I LIVED CLOSER SO I COULD ENJOY SOME OF THOSE MELT IN MY MOUTH DONUTS!!!

YOU KNOW.... YOU COULD MAIL SOME TO ME!!!!!