While in Virginia earlier this month, we were able to appreciate the beauty of this harvest season on more than one occasion. Two of our favorite places were a farmer's market our sons enjoy going to for fresh vegetables, and a visit to a charming countryside pumpkin patch with our grand-daughters.

While there we saw large plump pumpkins - only 15 dollars for three! What a deal!They were already picked and ready to choose from. 

They had a great assortment of gourds and beautiful mums to choose from.
We wondered if the girls would possibly be interested in buying their pumpkins there?????
We wondered if the girls would possibly be interested in buying their pumpkins there?????
No way! It wasn’t to be.
We are so Glad they didn’t settle for a farmers market
because we would have missed out on a
great adventure!
Come with us and enjoy the ride out in the gorgeous country north of of Richmond towards Washington DC.
We saw our first peanut fields! There were so many of them.The forested areas were so thick and pretty,

but I think I enjoyed the natural canopied country roads the best. 

Isn't the tractor charming?
About forty five minutes and 20 pictures later we arrived...
at Ashland Berry Farms.
Immediately our sweet little one had to go potty!
Then they had to visit the wonderful gift shop and they reluctantly passed on the spook alley!
They enjoyed going through a wonderful maze of bales of hay, playing on the play ground equipment,
and posing with Nana with theirnecklaces of an 'official pumpkin picker' !

The hayrides looked FUN! However, we were informed the rough, two mile long road leading out to the pumpkin fields made for a very bumpy ride. I am healing from back fusion surgery so we elected to stay and wait for the kids to come back with their bounty!
They were so excited to go and we wanted to explore the beautiful gardens and nursery of Berry farms.
They were so excited to go and we wanted to explore the beautiful gardens and nursery of Berry farms.
They had beautiful fountains and ponds of Koi fish, gorgeous mums and fall flowers to be planted.Plants I have never seen and wanted to know if I could grow them back in Utah.
This is one of the plants - it has sweet pea like flowers, then these long bean like pods! The vine was so pretty.I have since found out after reading Brenda's wonderful blog what they were. Hyacinth Bean Pods!
My sweet husband could not escape work for all of the 12 days we enjoyed back east. That is what happens when you are the boss. He was hard at work trying to keep up with the emails that kept pouring in. So while he worked, I got to play and explore.
Then the kids arrived back and the fun began.You see, at Ashland Berry Farms you can have all the pumpkins you could pick,
IF one person in your party can hold ALL of THEM and take three steps without any of them falling!
Tall one said the secret is having a strong base. What a genius we raised. So the four largest pumpkins went on bottom.
He took three steps with the 12 pumpkins they had picked and we all cheered!
They picked 12 pumpkins for the grand price of $20.00!
NOW THAT REALLY IS THE BEST DEAL!
PLUS THE HAPPY FACES OF THE GIRLS WITH THEIR WONDERFUL PUMPKINS,
AND THE THE MEMORIES OF A FUN FAMILY OUTING!
It took both dad & grandpa to pull the loaded wagon to the car.
We highly recommend this Pumpkin Patch as a FUN activity for the whole family!
Then we were off to enjoy Lunch!
19 comments:
Wow at all of the pumpkins!! You all got a deal on those! Love all of your pictures. They really show what a fabulous time you all had. The country up in northern Virginia is just beautiful. It looks like you guys had a fabulous drive to the pumpkin patch and gorgeous weather as well. It is so wonderful that you got to have that time with your grandchildren. I'm sure the visit from the grandparents was a marvelous treat for them....& you as well. I under stand how tough distances can be. When we lived in Iowa it was so difficult for the kids not to be near their Nana and Pop.
Have a great weekend,
Jen
What a great time y'all must of had!!!! I loved the pic in the potty! lol That is so funny about getting all the pumpkins yo ucan carry for 3 steps...boy those girls know how to stack some pumpkins!!!!! Great post girl...I would have loved to have been there!
Oh, my favorite photos of my grandson are from the pumpkin patch. I frame nearly every one. I too love the canopy of trees. And these Hyacinth bean vines are so wonderful. I'm glad I tried them for the first time. I thought I'd taken them all from one pot where they were wearing down and I'd pulled them up, but back up they've sprouted!
Brenda
I've heard such great things about Ashland. It is such a beautiful city.
Wow, pumpkins are cheap there. I think they're about $15.00 each hear. What a fun trip. I had laughed at Savannah using the out house. :-)
What a fun trip!!! CUTE GIRLS!!!
AND, I want one of those BIG pumpkins!!!
What a wondeful day thanks for sharing! It really is a beautiful area you visited. I would love to grow some of those interesting shaped gourds again. We turned some hard shelled ones into Christmas Tree decorations one year by painting them. Fun with the children!
Oh that toilet made me giggle!
What a wonderful trip...thanks for sharing all the special memories with us!!! You have a beautiful family and I'm so glad you enjoyed such a fabulous time together :)
Have a great weekend!
P.S. Thanks for being so supportive & encouraging to me...we're getting through!!!
All those pumpkins made me giggle! How fun for you and the grandchildren. Love the outhouse! We want a big pumpkin for these new grandbabies (well we hope to have another before friday!). Don't think we will find anything like your finds there. Have a great fall!
hugs
tricia
Hi, Beth, thank you for your kind words on my family trip. It truly was a fun experience and I'm so glad we did it.
What a great time at the pumpkin patch ya'll had! Those are some great pics.
What a beautiful field trip. Thanks for taking us all along! This must have been a couple weeks ago, becuase now all the leaves are gone and the sky is gray. They are calling for snow here in Ohio tonight and tomorrow.
Thanks for enjoying my doll club. I'm glad you poped in! :-)
Oh, I sooo enjoyed your wonderful pumpkin outing and the photos of beautiful Virginia. I know the area you were in very well. I got a real vicarious thrill from looking at your pictures and reading about your adventure!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your Sacrament Meeting. That must have been a very traumatic experience for those involved in the accident. I guess the cyclist wasn't wearing a helmit? Poor guy. I hope he didn't suffer before the paramedics got to him.
I hope you get lots of rest tonight and have a great day tomorrow!
blessings,
Elizabeth
Wow, what a fun time! Those pumpkins are great. What a great memory!
Thanks for stopping by my blog this morning. Oh, I can't wait to start on New Moon. I am absolutely in love already with the series!
WOW....it looks like you found the best PUMPKIN patch!! That is so neat that you get as many pumpkins as you can carry in three steps...that was a WOWZA amount for $20.00!! Great deal! It looks absolutely gorgeous there and like y'all had a fabulous time! Thanks for sharing with us.
HAH...lucky you had a guy with "monkey arms" (just kidding Stephen) around when you needed him! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time!! Virginia is such a beautiful place. I fell in love with that State the first time I saw it!
thanks for visually taking me to the PUNKIN PATCH :) ♥
looks like you got a sweet pile of pumpkins!!!! and lots of Cool New FUN memories!!!!
Fall is my favorite and I just love these kinds of fall activities. I loved reading about your adventure!
You know, I don't think I've ever seen a peanut farm.
Hi Beth,
I enjoyed your pumpkin pictures! You have some adorable grandchildren.
I know how you feel about trying to get caught up...I finally just decided not to try to read old posts. I'm just starting with current ones.. that's the best I can do.
Thanks for all your visits and kind comments!
Pumpkin Patch Envy!! If I could find pumpkins that big they would be a budget breaker and sadly I would have to walk past them. Heavy sigh. What a wonderful post--thank you for sharing all those beautiful autumn colors.
Post a Comment