This year we have finally found a beautiful plant that will grow in a difficult place on our front porch.. It’s a Croton. We first saw them growing in Hawaii along the roadside. They are a tropical plant and can take a lot of heat without a lot of water. This place on our porch gets very little sun being on the north side of our home and we have had a hard time keeping plants blooming there from spring into fall. We live in the desert and during the summer it gets warm without very much humidity. This week it has been 102 with the humidity only around around 8%.We planted the Croton in a planter, then wrapped the planter in plastic, before we placed it in our large front porch pot. Late this fall before the first frost, we will remove the inside planter and bring it inside to winter. Then we will take it outside next spring to brighten our porch again. It looked so beautiful this evening I thought I’d share this years good find.
Sunday, August 3, 2008
Croton, a success story
This year we have finally found a beautiful plant that will grow in a difficult place on our front porch.. It’s a Croton. We first saw them growing in Hawaii along the roadside. They are a tropical plant and can take a lot of heat without a lot of water. This place on our porch gets very little sun being on the north side of our home and we have had a hard time keeping plants blooming there from spring into fall. We live in the desert and during the summer it gets warm without very much humidity. This week it has been 102 with the humidity only around around 8%.We planted the Croton in a planter, then wrapped the planter in plastic, before we placed it in our large front porch pot. Late this fall before the first frost, we will remove the inside planter and bring it inside to winter. Then we will take it outside next spring to brighten our porch again. It looked so beautiful this evening I thought I’d share this years good find.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
It is beautiful! I have not ever been able to keep one of these alive! LOL
Good luck with yours,
Diane
Wow! It looks beautiful. I remember seeing these when we were in Hawaii. I brought home a plumaria and it is beginning to bloom. We have to bring it inside in the cool months as well, but it seems to tolerate our summer heat OK. I can't imagine 102 degrees with 8% humidity. It was 98 yesterday and about 90% humidity! Lovely summertime in the south!
Jen
Oh Jen, That is high humidity! Our kids moved to Tenn. in August one year and we thought we would die of the heat and my hair was a beautiful ball of fizz! LOL
I loved my skin though and didn't need near the normal amount of lotion.
Enjoy your day! Beth
Love this plant, so many pretty colors! When we lived in Hawaii, 7 long long years, we never tired of looking at this plant in our yard!
Hope your doing well this beautiful Wed. The weather here is just divine, gotta go out and water more though, I tend to forget!
XO,
DL
The only place I've ever seen these plants are in greenhouses or as houseplants. I guess New England isn't a place they can thrive. No tropics here : /
Sharon
Post a Comment