Friday, April 23, 2010

Only a picture!

March and April in our family means lots of birthdays, especially this one particular week when we celebrate 5 birthdays!

Mr B.'s birthday was yesterday and he usually asks me to make this delicious cake his mom use to make for him. I have shared before but it is worth sharing again because it truly is delicious. :-)

Pecan Applesauce/Pineapple Cake with Caramel Icing
is as RICH as it sounds.
½ cup butter
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 ½ cups flour
1/4 tsp allspice
½ tsp nutmeg
1 heaping tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tsp soda
2 cups applesauce
½ cups raisins
1 small can crushed pineapple
½ c pecans
1/4 to ½ cup cocoa (OPTIONAL)
~
Cream the butter and sugar well. Add eggs and beat well again.
Sift dry ingredients together. Add the dry ingredients alternately with applesauce.
Stir in the remaining ingredients.
~
Pour batter into in a well prepared (Crisco and flour or sprayed well with Pam) BUNDT pan at Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.

*
Top with Caramel Icing ~ YUM!
*
Caramel Icing

½ cup butter and 1 cup brown sugar
Bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes.

Add 2 cups powdered sugar into mixing bowl and pour hot mixture and beat well. Stir in 2 tablespoons vanilla. Add powdered sugar to get the desired consistency for pouring over slightly WARM CAKE. Sprinkle with Pecans if desired!


Well, Mr B didn’t get his favorite cake this year, but he did get a picture of it!!!

He has been out of town all week and arrived home last night after a very full week here at home and for him on the road. We decided to enjoy a simple evening and celebrated his birthday with our daughter’s family for a quiet dinner of Chinese food at a local Restaurant, Sam Pan.

I did make him a Texas Sheet Cake another one of his favorite cakes though much more on the simple side... for when we got home.

It was only the two of us, as he blew out his candles. Sometimes low key and simple is a good thing!:)

Today is our DIL’s birthday, Happy Birthday Jamie!!!

I hope you are enjoying  a beautiful spring.
 Although our blooms are slow this year they are starting to appear with beauty!

13 comments:

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

I agree, sometimes simple and low key is called for!
I think this cake looks yummy!
I know this is "gushing" but I
REALLY do love my salsa! We've used half of it already!
Happy birthday to all your 5!

Blondie's Journal said...

Happy Birthday Mr. B., and everyone!!! That cake looks out of this world!!!

xoxo
Jane

Connie said...

Sounds like some busy months for you with birthdays! That cake looks fantastic! I'll add your recipe to my file and hopefully, soon, I'll make it. I wish I had some right now!

Anonymous said...

WOW...this cake has it all doesn't it..YUMMY! Love the brown sugar frosting too...thanks for sharing it. We have a ton of B's this month too..seems like we always do and every year I am going to do it in a more simple way...but alas! Sounds like you had fun together...have a great weekend, love all your sweet comments to me.. come say hi :D

Barb said...

Wowie! What a yummy looking cake! I can see why you went low key this year - I just gained 10 lbs reading your post!

I love to just do something simple and fun for my hubby's birthday - making memories is what it's all about. Have fun celebrating - all ours fall in March - we have a resonating green theme!!

Blessings,
Barb

Marie Rayner said...

Beth that looks delicious! Happy Birthday to your hubby! I am sure he appreciated all that you have done for him! Printing out your recipe for future use! xxoo

Sherrie said...

Happy Birthday Mr. B! That is the most beautiful cake! I can't wait to give it a try!

~Niki~ said...

happy belated Mr B!
And what a lovely looking yummy recipe *B* :)
Weather here has been beautiful!

Mimi Sue said...

Happy Birthday to ALL! When is your Mr. B's exact birthday? The mister's is the 21st. Grams (Janis) husband is the 21st too. That cake looks delightful. The older we get the more we enjoy simple and low key. Mimi

Pedaling said...

that looks and sounds absolutely delicious..my mouth is watering.
thanks so much for sharing it!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Happy Birthday, Mr. B! Would you mind mailing me a piece of your cake??? WOW! LOL!

Love you, Beth. I'm running through at break neck speed before I have to go back to St. Augustine to meet the workmen and go to a birthday party tomorrow morning. But I couldn't let the day go by without telling you I'm thinking of you and hoping that your dear FIL is better.

Love that you have so many birthdays this month. Many of my friends are born this month, too, and some family. Lots more in May.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Trina said...

Happy Birthday uncle B!!! Love you.

Nanette Merrill said...

Spring birthdays are wonderful. Happy birthday to them. The cake is amazing looking and I'm sure d'lish.