Around Christmas I mentioned our dear friend and neighbor was diagnosed with 2 brain tumors. His wife is one of my dearest friends, even a friend of my heart who knows and keeps those secret things of my heart, close to hers.
Although life has been going on for others, my sweet friend has been in mourning as she has lovingly cared for her sweetheart until he passed. She mentioned to me a few days ago, “How can life seem so normal for others when mine if falling apart?”
This morning I stood on their driveway, as her husband, sweetheart, companion, friend, and lover was driven away from their home in a black shiny Hearst. He was 61 years young. Hearts broke and tears flowed...
My friend, their children and other family members stood there and watched as it slowly made the way down the street, hearts were broken. Although we have light and knowledge through the gospel of Jesus Christ of where R went this morning, and of the incredibly sweet reunions he is enjoying today with his Savior, Jesus Christ, and other loved ones, my heart is weeping for my precious friend and their children. Especially for their precious 17 year old daughter who we have watched grow up into a lovely young woman and who has is feeling the loss of beloved daddy in her life. Please pray for her.
***
Last week I shared my excitement of winning this beautiful chair. I didn’t tell you how I found the package had arrived and was waiting on our porch. The door bell rang. I opened the door and my sweet friend was standing there with these lovely white lilies in her hand, a thank you card and a huge hug. We stood there, hugged and sobbed liked babies and then she said, “Oh, you have a package.” She brought it into our home and she marveled that a friend in blogland would send such a gorgeous gift to someone she didn’t know. (Thanks Again Muse:)Then, she collapsed as she poured out her heart and the pain that was there. I am so grateful for friends! That we have each other when life gets hard.
Later, I sat on our sofa and looking at my two gifts which arrived at the SAME time, the lilies she brought and the generous gift of the Fleur de lis chair, with the symbol of the Lily,
I couldn’t help but think of the poignant symbolism of the lily. (I hadn’t realized at the time I captured both in them in the pictures I had taken of the chair:)
Here my sweet friend was thinking about me, another person, when her OWN grief was almost more than she could bear, brought me her love and the sweet lilies of the field.
So often friends comfort others when their own needs are greater than those being comforted. “That quality is like the generosity of Jesus on the cross. Empathy during agony is a portion of divinity!” by Neal A Maxwell. I have witnessed her doing this over and over again during the years.
I couldn’t help but think about the Easter Lily and what it represents. I know I will never look the same way again at a beautiful lily.
Lilies are brown, wrinkled bulbs that are buried deep in the earth, then send forth green shoots that grow tall and have beautiful flowers.
The Easter lily blooms at this special time of year and reminds us that our Savior, Jesus Christ was “buried” in a tomb and came out of it resurrected, glorious and will never die again. I am so grateful for this knowledge and for HIS gift of the ATONEMENT in my life.
Connie just posted on their Caringbridge blog, where she has posted their incredibly moving and poignant journey these past few months,
“ Today, my love, R, passed away at 6:54 am. I will be forever changed. I will find words soon. Right now my heart is broken. No words.
Still sending all my love,
I am heart broken for her. My heart weeps she has lost her sweetheart so early in life. I am grateful they know and hold to the knowledge of their love and marriage is eterna. They know they will see each other again.
He was the same age as my own dad was when he passed away. I know how hard it has been on my mom. I hope I can be there in the coming days and months to mourn with and COMFORT her and their beautiful family as they mourn the passing of their own gentle and spiritual man who loves the Lord, husband, father and grandpa. But mostly just love.
Please cherish those around you, love them and hold them tight. Enjoy each day! We never know.
Much Love, Beth




24 comments:
My heart is aching for your friend. I know the Gospel brings sweet peace, but it often doesn't shield us from the pain we don't want to bear.
My heart and thoughts are with you and your friend at this time.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet friend and family.
It's heart warming to see the friendship you share together with your dear friend and neighbor.
I'm so sorry. Blessings to you.
You write beautifully, I felt your words, you touched me deeply!
Beth I am so sad for your sweet friend and her family. Even though we have the gospel the pain is still there. She is lucky to have such a wonderful friend as you next door and I am sure there have been many times you have been lucky to have her. Friends are the greatest treasure when tradgedy steps into your life.
Your analogy with the Lily is so wonderful. I love the Easter Lily and it's meaning. The picture with your chair and the Lily touched me - I didn't notice that when you posted about the chair the first time.
God Bless your friend and her family - May their hearts find peace at this hard time in their lives.
You are a beautiful person Beth!
My heart is also aching for your sweet friend and her family, and for you. It's so hard to lose someone who has made such an impact in your life and been such a good friend. It's so wonderful that you can be there for his wife and children, I'm sure that your friendship will be so greatly appreciated in the weeks and months to follow.
I really appreciated your thoughts on the Lily and it's symbolism in our lives. How fortunate we are to have the knowledge of God's eternal plan for us!
Know that my prayers are with you and your sweet friend's family.
Gentle hugs,
Barb
My heart is aching for your friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friends family.....she is so lucky to have you for a friend.....Pat H
I'm sorry to hear about R's passing. You are a wonderful friend to their family, and this was a very sweet post.
Your friend is lucky to have good neighbors. She will need you even more now. Thank goodness we have the knowledge of the resurrection.
JoAnn
Oh so heart breaking! I can't imagine losing my best friend.
Seems like we have been having death all around us. Four funerals in the past couple of weeks.
I have been wondering and asking Doran how sad it is that life goes on when these families are mourning. How do they do it?
We really do need to take one day at a time and treat it as a GIFT. To love those around us and strive to better ourselves so that we too can meet our Savior and KNOW Him when we see him.
Prayers to your friend, her family and you as well.
Deepest sympathies for your dear friends, and for you as well. My heart breaks at the loss of your friend. I know it is devestating. The loss of a loved on leaves us so empty and lost so many times. How wonderful you can celebrate his life and know he is celebrating today. I'll be thinking of you all through the week and pray for everyone to have comfort and peace.
Hugs, Jennifer
I couldn't write anything more thoughtful than what has already been written. May God be with your dear friend and her family and confort them. Give her a loving hug from all of us, who is unknown to her.
Beth I am so sorry to read of this loss. How very sad. The Gospel is such a comfort at times like this, although the tears and heartache still come. Thank goodness for the knowledge we have of eternal relationships. I am sure you will be a great source of strength and love for your dear friend in her loss. My prayers and thoughts go out to her and her family and to you. xxoo
What an immense experience you are having with your sweet friend and neighbor. I am very sorry to hear of her loss. What an intensely spiritual experience it is and what a huge life alteration. Words just don't really touch it, do they? Yet, you have spoken it all so eloquently.
I will pray for your friend. I am googling her blog and will leave her condolescences.
God bless!
I'm so glad she has the gospel. I'm so glad she has you, a wonderful friend. One of my good friends just had an emergency c-section and her babies having many heart and lung issues. Life is so fragile. I'm just glad Heavenly Father is in control and things happen on His time table. Not necessarily ours. I'm sure he was a part in you being where you are so you can learn from their beautiful family and so you can be a blessing to them as well. Hugs.
Dear Beth, my heart is broken for your dear friend's loss of her husband. How very sad for that family. I remember when you posted about him earlier in the year. The loss is overwhelming and my prayers are with the family for the strength to go through such sadness.
I have been running the roads and on a bloggy break, so I have missed your sweet comments. How fast time goes by and I have so many friends to visit again. Right now I am still in Florida for a wedding this Sunday. Then home and hopefully back to normal by Monday night. I am missing my normal schedule right now. smile.
Your post is a beautiful tribute for your friend and her family. The gift of lilies is so meaningful. She is lucky to have as dear a friend as you.
Blessings and love,
Jeanne
A very touching post. Life is so short. And it comes and goes at such unexpected places sometimes. 61 is not old enough! I'm sorry for your dear friend. It is heart wrenching. The lilies are lovely. Lilies always remind me how simple life is and that we are all lilies of the field. Love the chair.
i have just cried and cried...
a tearful mix of friendship from across the miles...
and tears for the loss of those dear ones i only know through His love.
may all the peace of heaven surround them and you. oh dearest beth, He uses so many things...and so many of us, in ways we cannot fathom. so happy you are there for her (them).
hugs always~your friend.
Your sweet friend (and her family) will definitely be in my prayers. When we faced something similar several years ago, someone gave us the book, 'The Message' by Lance Richardson. It gave us a lot of peace. She'll know why after she reads it. My other favorite was 'All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience' by Neal A. Maxwell. Just food for thought. : )
Take care,
Mary Lou
Oh I am so touched by your true friendship to your dear friend who so needs it now. I pray for her to be comforted in this hard time of her life. God Bless Her and Her Family.
Love,Debbie (A Latter Day Saint)
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Thank you for stopping by and leaving your sweet comments. Bailee is progressing and might go home today. It's been 11 days in the NICU and we're so anxious to have her home.
Beth,
This is one of the most beautiful messages of the Spirit of Hope and the promise of Easter I've ever read and seen.
My heart is with your Dear Friend and her family in this sad time, for knowing you, I know her, and she matters to me.
And a comfy Grandma hug to you, as well, in your own loss of a Friend.
rachel
Beth, I'm so sorry about your friend. I remember this story, and I was hoping for a better ending. I'm sure glad she has you to comfort her.
I'm thrilled you won the Muse's drawing. I know how much you are going to enjoy that chair, and it makes me smile. You are a sweetheart!
My father died when he was only 64, and my mother was 58. So I know what they must be feeling.
Sending all of you warm hugs...
XO,
Sheila
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your dear friend. I'm sure it's a wonderful comfort to her to have someone so close by that is there for her.
Manuela
Happy Belated Birthday *Beth*!!!
:)
Sounds like you will hve a wonderful Easter with all the grandkiddies and family around you! Love and hugs! Niki
OH! Beth,
What a beautiful tribute of love and friendship you have written, my prayers are with this precious family as well as you. May the Lord continue to strengthen you as you encourage an offer hope to your friend and her family.
Blessings and hugs,
Sue
Post a Comment