When I took dinner into them the week before, I couldn’t find them home. I was concerned because their blinds were drawn, which wasn’t like them. So, I took their dinner next door to my friend Kathy so she could deliver it when they arrived home. They assured me they felt all was well with them, because Jack had brought their garbage cans in that morning for them. (They are about 20 years younger!)
When I was baking last week for our cookie exchange, the door bell rang and there sweet Jack appeared with this gigantic poinsettia which was almost as big as he is.
He has the white hair like Santa and an a twinkle in his eye. (I have never been able to take a good picture of this wonderful man... here he is asking why I am taking his picture! LOL)
He was so cute about the poinsettia as he kept turning it and adjusting it on our coffee table to show its best side. He looked at me and winked,
“ I told them I didn’t want to buy a Pig in the Polk!”
I started to laugh and asked , “ A Pig in the Polk?”
He said it was a Southern phrase! And then he explained its meaning. He sure didn't bring me a Pig in the Polk! It is beautiful and practically fills up our living room and hides our whole piano!
So, for all my Southern friends, I learned a new phrase ya’ll probably say and I hadn’t heard before!:-)
I adore this sweet man who is several years older than my father in law. That is right, he is getting close to 90! Not only does Jack go around our neighborhood doing good for his friends, but he has driven across town on many occasions to go see our dad.. Dad can’t remember their visits or even who he is, but it means the world to us.
Jack found out some news this month that he is once again fighting the good fight against cancer, and also he fell the week before and broke a rib. Yet, he gives and serves others continually!
He personifies the very essence of the ‘Spirit of Love’ the whole year long...Not just during this Christmas season when we Christians honor our Savior and Lord, who showed us by his own example of the greatest Love of all!
Luke 8:16
“No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light."
Christians are blessed with the light of Christ and if we are living a life of a Christian, this Christ like living shows in us and through us, as it does Jack. By letting our own lights shine, we can respond to the overwhelming love that Christ has shown us how to do, then reveal His love, one to another.
May you feel and share your beautiful light with those around you!
~♥~
~♥~


18 comments:
Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing! You are such a sweetheart! L♥ve you lots! (((HUGS)))
Thanks for sharing him..I could love him too! And the gift he brought you is so beautiful too..hope you gave him a big hug! I love people like this..I want to be like him when I grow up! Cute phrase too, I have heard it before, I think from my mother! Love you and the sweetness I always feel when our lives touch. (No we didn't git the snow, just a dusting!) :D
This is most inspiring love post and I am so happy that you shared Jacks story with all of us.
What a sweetheart he is at his aging giving so much to others. You are too sweet yourself and I am glad that I have found you out here in blogland.
Wish you could do my post for me. You write so thoughtfully and beautifully and please print this out and give it to Jack. He would love it
Maggie
The poinsetta is so big and lovely and your home is just as beautiful.
That is beautiful! I love Jack already. What a sweetheart. We have a few neighbors like that as well.
I want to be like that when I grow up.
Thanks for sharing him.
NICE poinsettia!!!!
One of the very best ways of making yourself feel better I've found, is to help someone else. See... the old folks know! Nice story and say Hi to the cute old guy in the pic!
Hi Beth, the poinsettias are so lovely. Hope you are enjoying your December.
Hugs, Barb ♥
Great post! Gotta love them Jack's!!!
Oh, Beth, what a lovely write. May Jack be blessed with healing ... he does have a loving twinkle!
Please join me at our new blog, if you have not ~
blushingrosetoo.blogspot.com
Do not know how long the old one will hold up. TYSM
TTFN ~ Marydon
What a beauitiful tribute to such a giving soul!!!!! I pray that all goes well for him and for your dad...I am so sorry to hear that he broke his pelvis bone...it is so heart wrenching to watch our loved ones get older and hurt..I pray that he heals quickly....enjoy your beautiful flowers...love ya girl~Picket~
We could use more people like Jack. The poinsettia is gorgeous!!
xoxo
Janie
We have some neighbors just like that and they just won't let you get ahead of them! You are both lucky! I love the temple picture by the way. Did you take the picture yourself?
Have a great holiday.
JoAnn
Beautiful story about love girl...thanks for sharing this great story of Jack....Many Blessings to you and yours Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria
What a sweet, sweet post, Beth. It made me cry. I hope and pray that your dear friend wins the battle against the beast. What a sweetheart he is, and you are, too!
Love you much...
XO,
Sheila :-)
Beautiful post, Beth! You have such a wonderful way with showing love and tribute through your kind words. You make my day bright.
Hope "Dad" is feeling better!
xo, Jennifer
what a great man. everyone needs a neighbor like him, nope i am wrong. everyone needs to be a neighbor like him!!!
I love your story or your neighbor and dear friend, and my goodness that is no pig in a poke poinsettia is it!
Your a lovely person...sharing a wealth of advice.
Isn't it nice that not only do we have Christ's great example of how to live our life, but we find those around us who continue to be the shining examples of how this is to be done daily? He sounds like an angel to me.
I still haven't changed my header and now I have to go back and find your directions. Oh, where do we find the time to do all this:) Have a great week and try to stay warm. My fingers are so cold as I type this-10 degrees outside!!
We have that saying- "don't buy a pig in a poke". A poke is a small bag and the advice was to not buy a piglet in the market in a bag -check what was inside the bag first so you know what you are getting. It was a common trick to put a stray cat in the bag saying it was a pig. You would then go home, open the bag and find you had been conned. I think it goes back to Medieval times.
What a lovely man and such a gorgeous seasonal plant.
Post a Comment