I read a post over at one of my favorite bloggers, Cherie's. It brought back so many warm fuzzy memories. I found I was writing a book again in her comments and decided to write my own
memories.
She asked if we would ever just go to a cell phone only household?
I loved the party line at my grandma's home, and my sisters,
cousins and I were not always on the best behavior though. Hee Hee We were so bad.
I remember our 4 digit phone number on our own rotary phone when I was in elementary school. The operator would ask, "Number please?" I also remember how high up on the wall the phone was and how hard it was to reach it.
I loved calling information. One operator even helped me with a math problem I had. (Those were sweet innocent days:)
I also remember trying to call my mom when I was in the 7th grade and the phone line was busy.
I kept calling her and finally I called the operator for help. She asked me if it was an emergency... I said, " YES, please help me!"
I had to tell her what the emergency was. She started to laugh and then interrupted the conversation my mom was having.
I was so embarrassed, the operator knew!:)
Mr B and I had a long conversation last night and decided we will always keep our land line and cell phones.
We get so many house calls which we would not want to receive when we are out somewhere.
I also lost my cell phone this week and it was on vibrate! UGH... It was so frustrating! I almost felt naked when I had to leave for an appointment without it. At least we could still receive our calls at home.
We have friends and our own kids who only have cell phones. It is so hard to find a phone number for friends if they are not already in our cell phone directory. Financially it has been advantageous for our children though.
What are your opinions, would you ever consider going to a cell phone only household? Please share your memories and thoughts.
Enjoy a wonderful weekend and cherish those around you.
Love, Beth
31 comments:
I remember the old black phones and you'd pick it up and someone was talking...that seems so odd nowadays! We have both, land line mostly for emergencys I guess. I never use it though. Yet I hate having to keep my cell phone glued to me at all times too! Strange world we live in! ;D
I saw this post over at Cheri's too. We must be close to the same age...however I wonder sometimes if there ARE others out there as old as me. (gulp)
My grandma had a party line too...her ring was 3 shorts and a long. I loved to listen in on other peoples conversations...especially the boys and girls who were dating (spicy stuff)
I grew up with the dial phone...attached to the wall...with a long cord. I'd sit in the hall and talk to my boyfriend.
we now have an archaic cell phone (none of the gadgets and whistles) and we only use it for emergencies when on the road.
yup....I told you, we are old.
Yes, I remember party lines and the operator saying, "Number please." Personally, I liked it better back then. Now everywhere you go people are talking on their cell phones. In their cars, walking down aisles in the grocery store, and even in the next booth in the ladies room!
This last election in November just about drove me nuts. We have early voting in Texas and the calls started two weeks before election day. Most were robo calls so I couldn't even tell them to stop calling. I was constantly running for the phone. I decided that if you're a registered voter with a land line you get called. I think because so many people only have cell phones now they can't find those voters by googling (or however they do it) their street address, so the same people with land lines are called over and over again. What can I do...stop voting so my name comes off the voter registration list or give up my land line? I don't care for either choice. I'm on the Texas Do Not Call List, but the politicians that wrote the law excluded themselves from having to respect it.
I'm starting to think at some point I'll have no choice but to get rid of my land line.
Your post brought back memories. My most vivid is fighting over who got to use the phone with my sisters! And my father getting angry if we were on the phone too long!
We only use the cell phones now. it is much more economical. I also love that I can reach my kids anytime, anywhere. Great post, Beth!
XO,
Jane
That was a funny story about the bra. I guess nothing was much of a secret back then with party lines and nosy operators - ha ha!!
I love my cell phone but when I really want to have a long conversation with someone I like the feel of my house phone. I can hear on it better.
I also like having a phone in the house that I always know where it is (on my kitchen wall) and that I never lose.
I wouldn't give up my cell phone now but I will keep my land line as well!
Hi Beth!
What a fun post! I remember when we had a party line - I was in 6th grade, and I'm sure I wasn't very nice either! We had a really grumpy lady on our line and she used to get really mad at us...;0)
At my grandmother's house, they had their own ring - like 3 short rings for one house and 1 ring and 2 short rings for another. I remember when someone was not going to be home, grandma would answer their call and take a message! Too funny, can you imagine that today?!
I like to have a land line - cell phones are great, and like you I feel naked without it, but I like to know that I have the privacy of my home phone.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane - just loved it!!
Warm hugs,
Barb
I loved this post at Cherie's! We had a party line as well. There were three people on our line. It still makes me laugh to think about it.
You reminded me about dialing the last four of our number. I had forgotten that. Ya 4580....so easy!
I remember thinking we were so totally awesome when we got our "touchtone" phone.
My mother worked for Mountain Bell all of my growing up years. There were many times I would be talking to me friends and then all of a sudden some operator would get on the line and tell me to hang up because my mother was trying to call!
So unheard of now.
I never feel naked without my phone, no one ever calls me. I could probably do without a cell phone (I think my hubs and I have a total of 500 minutes at the most we've ever used)
I don't care though. It's nice not to be so connected.
For now we're keeping our landline.
And no, I don't think there is anyone on the planet older than Wendy. She's pretty much telegraph days! ;}
Hi Beth! Long time no see!
I wish we could still dial 4 numbers. That would be wonderful! Sorry about the bra incident. Very embarrassing to say the least for a young lady.
We keep talking about giving up our home phone. We really don't need it as it's just another expense for the most part, though I know I will miss it. I too like the way it feels in my hands.
And then there's the dilemma of 'do I keep my cell # that I've had for years, or switch my cell over to my home phone #?'
All the younger people only have cells and it's definitely the way of the future.
Oh, the memories. Party lines, rotary dial, not having to dial the area code...wait, that was just last year!
Love the bra story. My problem was (and still is) that it wouldn't have mattered if I wore one or not, it was just there for show.
We still have our land line. When I know I'll have a long conversation, I use the land line. It's also nice not to have all the calls come to my cell phone that I get on my home phone. For a while, we'll stick with both.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
My grandma lived way out in the country and she had a party line too. When she really needed to use the phone and someone was on it, she'd hang up with a loud click to let them know it was her turn! When I was first married we only had to dial 5 numbers to call people in our little town. Things have changed so much in such a short time don't you think? We just got rid of our land line. We've only got the cell phones now. Mimi
We resisted getting cell phones for a long time, but now we do have them and wouldn't be without them. Having said that though, we wouldn't be without our land line either. They both have their advantages! I can remember listening in on the party line, so bad, and I can remember an old lady that used to listen to our conversations as well, so it worked both ways! funny!
We have contemplated to let go of our land line but to this day we still have it.
~What if someone actually needs us and doesn't know our cell numbers?
~When the cell towers go haywire we still have our trusty landline.
~It's hard to give up a phone number that we have had for eons.
~I just LOVE paying all that money for ALL the phones we have - not.
So until further notice, we have our wall/landline phone.
LOL I remember the party lines!!! How funny to think about it with all the high tech stuffs we have now. We have both, landline and cells, and will keep both. But I'm like you, if I leave home without my cell I "panic"! Seems kinda silly cuz we sent our daughters off to college across the mountain with no cell phones! Didn't have one to send. On the other hand, our second to youngest son used to wake up in the morning with his cell imprint on his chest, cuz he'd fall asleep texting or taking. Drove me nuts.
I love my cell phone. BUT, I'm not a texter!
Glad to see a post, hope you are well. LOVED the beautiful quilt your daughter made for you. :-)
Enjoy
Mercy
Oh, what fun memories. We never had a party-line or anything like that, but one of my neighborhood friends did and she and I would pick up the phone and listen to her neighbors chat - naughty!
Hey, I gave you an award if you are interested, it's on today's post.
Have a wonderful day!
hi, sweet one. i'm going bonkers with the computer but will try to give my thoughts. no, i wouldn't be cell only. tempting, but no. i remember those four digit numbers, too. fun times.
love you plus will see you when i return. this looks like code... h-ppy v-d-y. but you know the code. lol.
xoxoxoxoxox,
s.
I love your post! I remember the old phones so well. I saw this post on Cheri's blog too. I love it as well! Cheri is a sweetheart!
Thanks for entering our Giveaway at Sew A Little Happiness! I appreciate you following along. You are a dear friend!
Yes, I think it is great that your daughters beautiful Valentines quilt/wallhaning is so well loved and friends are wanting to make it!
Have a great week! Stay warm!
Love, Brenda
Just stopping by with lots of love and hugs! Hope you have a very Happy Valentines day! Love Ya! :) Shauna
The telephone has really changed over the years. It's hard to imagine that just a few years ago the phone was anchored to the wall with a long cord. At least nobody ever lost that one.
I got rid of my land line 6 months ago and don't miss it one bit. Now I just have to pay attention to where I put my phone but I love the convenience of always having it with me.
Hello my dear friend!
Thanks for visiting and entering our Mother/Daughter Apron and Fabric Giveaway! WE welcome you with open arms! Have a great weekend! Happy Valentines to yoU!
Love, Brenda and Annette
I only use my cell phone when I'm away from home -- and it's like a security blanket. I feel so lost if I happen to forget it, even if I'm just running a quick errand. And during my husband's recent surgery, it was a blessing to have it close by in the hospital. We still have a land line, with three handsets, and that's what I use when we're at home, simply because it's just easier than hunting my cell phone.
I want to thank you, Beth, for your kind and gracious well wishes for my family. You are truly an inspiration to me, and I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write.
Good morning Beth, don't faint, yes, I am visiting. A rare occasion lately. My cousin Marilyn and her hubs have been here for a week and the days have whizzed by. Plus they do not have a computer, so I feel guilty sitting and visiting. They haven't a clue as to how important my visiting is each day. Sigh! They are leaving on Monday. This has been the year of the cousins so far. Bob, Pat and Marilyn and not short visits. I do love them dearly and enjoy their company. I'm not complaining, well maybe a bit!!! HA!
I LOVE your telephone post. You brought back some fond memories. One of them is my cousin Marilyn, (visiting me now) and I were on my grandma's phone being bad. We were using her phone to call people to ask if their refrigerator was running. Then you better go catch it. We did this several times when suddenly the operator breaks in and says Marilyn Rossman I am going to tell your mother what you are doing. HA! Small town living when everyone knew everyone. We were so scared. HA! Beth, thank you for the memory. We will always have a land line for the same reasons you will.
Blessings and love, Jeanne
Hi, Beth - Ha, ha, what fun stories. I never had a partyline or any of that fun stuff, but we use to prank call. I also had a friend, in one place that I lived, who had a partyline and we would quietly pick up the phone and listen in. It was about just boring grown up stuff, but we loved being sneaky. :)
So far, we are keeping both cell and home phones. Surely in an emergency one of the two would work...:)
I want to eat the food in your header. It is making me hungry!
hugs,
Elizabeth
Thinking of you and sending you MUCH love...
XO,
Sheila :-)
Wow, I was just thinking about being young and prank calling random people. I used to look up names in the phone book and call them- for instance. I'd call the Brown residence and ask for Charlie. Once I called the Fairchild residence and asked for Morgan. I remember calling a guy and telling him I was his fairy god mother and he had 3 wishes. He actually played along. Can you imagine if we'd only had cell phones back then? I'd get caught so easily with all that caller ID! Actually, by law I have to have a land line incase towers go out incase our Tim has a medical emergency so I'm with you and keeping a land line- It's also so much more inexpensive!!!!!
Nice post!
Hi, Beth ...
It was so good to hear from you. You are so kind to remember our daughter and her baby in your prayers. She has an appointment with her doctor tomorrow and should find out when the baby will be born ... hopefully, early next week!
I'll be thinking about your little ones starting school ... Avery will be in the first grade, too. It just doesn't seem possible, does it!
Thank you for taking the time to write ... and for your prayers.
Sincerely,
Janie
Love and miss you woman! Thanks for visiting today! ♥ HUGS ♥
This is my first time to drop by and I loved reading your post. Thanks for you comments on mine.
We must be close in age because I remember the same things you do. I remember the party lines also which were way fun. You couldn't call out until your neighbor who was on your party line was through talking. We still have a landline and will probably keep it.
Cell phones are a blessing and I guess it is hard to figure out what did we do without them.
Thanks for the smile today and keep on enjoying the moments.
Good morning Beth, Just a happy hello this morning. Happy because I am enjoying some rare time on my computer. I hope all is well with you and yours.
I enjoyed your phone memories so much. It made me smile because my cousin and I have done some silly things on the phone when we were kids. The operator came on the phone and said she would tell our mothers if we didn't stop. That put the fear of God in us. HA!
I have missed you Beth.
Blessings, Jeanne
Beth, I just realized I commented on this post earlier. Gosh, where have you been girl.
Hugs, Jeanne
I have got to say that I appreciate you more than you will ever know, my sweet, sweet friend. Thanks for your loving comments and prayers. It has been a rough go dealing with the loss of my dear Adelaide, and your words were such a balm. Thank you. You always know the right thing to say.
I hope you and yours are doing well. I miss you, but I always feel you close in spirit. Sending much love your way...
XO,
Sheila
Post a Comment