Friday, July 16, 2010

Chicken Croissants

Love is a fruit in season at all times,
and within the reach of every hand.
               - Mother Theresa            


These chicken salad recipes were both a hit at the recent wedding at our home.


 We had 143 in attendance during the wedding and are not sure of the total amount of happy guests who came later.
From the rate these sandwiches were eaten we could have easily had double the amount of guests or very hungry ones at best.:)

We made two different Chicken Salad recipes because the bride and groom each had their favorite!

The Bride's Recipe

2 cups diced chicken
1 cup thinly sliced or diced celery
2 T lemon juice- or to taste
3/4 cup mayo
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp sugar
1/2-3/4 cups cashews, sliced almonds or slivered almonds.



Since this was a family affair giving our sister a wedding, we had some of all the NUTS represented in the salad-
just like our nutty delightful family. :)

My sister Michelle and her new husband Steve combined their families making 10 children in all. Her 4 and his 6! They knew and graduated from high school together and their children range in ages from 25-9 years. (Neither would have thought back then, they would some day marry!)


The Groom's Recipe
(sorry there is no picture)
(He has a young son who is highly allergic to nuts)

2 cups diced chicken
1 8 oz package cream cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
3/4 cup diced olives 
 (I buy the small cans of sliced olives and then dice them)
salt and pepper to taste

Both recipes taste better with fresh chicken and not canned. Canned chicken changes the texture of the meat.

We also served lots of goodies to the delight of every little one in sight.
Michelle's daughter Taylor made 300 delicious miniature cupcakes and dipped the pretzels in caramel and chocolate.

Maybe that is why she went into labor the next day and presented the  new couple with their 4th grandchild!

Her wedding cake was made by a friend who teaches special education with her.

The flowers were so pretty!
The little ones  had a ball devouring the flowers later in the evening. 
We also served Chocolate cake with a Bavarian cream filling. It was all delicious!

In fact I am hungry for a croissant full of the Bride's version this evening. I am heading out for a rotisserie chicken!:)

For more Summer ideas of what could be for dinner tonight, please join our host Michael at Gollum's design.

  Enjoy a safe and Happy Weekend
Beth~♥

25 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Both versions sound delicious, Beth and the pictures are just beautiful. I hope you are well rested after hosting such a big event. Everything looks lovely!

xoxo
Jane

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

YUMMY! I'm off for a Roterssie as well.

What a great love story.

joy said...

Beautiful!

susette said...

That is an absolutely gorgeous spread. I am going to copy and paste the chicken salad recipes immediately! Those look so tasty. What a lot of hard work these pictures show.

Someday a blogging lunch needs to happen again when we both could attend. It would be so delightful to meet you.

Thanks for all your sweet love and comments.

CB said...

Oh my I absolutely LOVE chicken salad. Both of these recipes are different from mine and they both look tasty. I'm a little more partial to the second one as it just has things I love in it!
The wedding reception looks like it was beautiful - the cake is so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Thats what I served for my daughters baby shower here last month, it was a big hit here too...I put sour cream in the dressing. All the goodies look so delish here, simple and so good! :D

A New England Life said...

I'm telling ya, you people sure do know how to eat! Everything looks delicious! The cake is beautiful too!

I'm glad it was such a glorious day to celebrate love : )

Sharon

The Muse said...

My jaw has dropped to the floor!
Beyond gorgeous~
Every single item had a presentation...Bravo...simply bravo!

I dare say the entire event was memorable :)

~Niki~ said...

everything looks yummy! you are sure a great cook! i miss talking w/ you! i'm back in town now from NM.
zzzzzzzzzzzz
what a long month this has been!
~niki

Lorrie said...

Beth I just love this--it's so special when the food is prepared by people you love. Both versions of the chicken salad sound like they would be delicious. The photos could appear in a copy of a bridal magazine--so beautiful!

The Gathering Place said...

Your food looks delicious! I love chicken salad and will file your recipes with my collection. It looks like your wedding was festive and fun.
I agree, it would be fun to actually meet!

Trina said...

The wedding looks beautiful! You're always so talented and tasteful. Just like grandma, right down to the littlest touch. We love chicken salad with cashews and grapes, and red onions.

I'm sorry about your father in law, and that everything had to happen all at once. What a busy, overwhelming few days. I'm so glad he's with his sweet wife now. I remember both of them from when I was a young girl and they lived in Pocatello. They were so kind.

Did you get my email about the recipe for green tomato jam? I'd love it, so would a few people in my ward I told about it. Mmmm good. That'd make a good post some time this fall if you make it. After all everyone who grows tomatoes have some that don't ripen right?

Jennifer said...

The wedding reception looked lovely! All that food is so colorful and beautifully presented. I know it was such a special day for your family.

Hope your week is off to a great start!

xo, Jen

Barb said...

Hi Beth!

Thank you so much for sharing those wonderful photos and recipes! The whole things looked like it was straight off of the pages of Better Homes and Gardens! The cake was beautiful! Isn't it amazing what they can create with fondant, and make it taste good?!

You are such an amazing host - I know that all your efforts will come back double in blessings for your family~

Hugs,
Barb

Elizabeth said...

Boy, those chicken salad sandwiches with fruit look so colorful and yummy. I can't believe the cake! It looks like it was made by a pro. What a lovely day this must have been for you.

hugs,
Elizabeth

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Beth, this looks divine! What a pretty table with all the goodies and a pretty cake! YUM! This post makes me SO hungry.

Hope all is well with you and yours. Have missed you. I have my computer back and am doing the happy dance.

Love you, my friend...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Jacqueline said...

This looks like it was catered!!!! How elegant and what delicious food for a summer wedding. Everyone should be so proud of such a lovely event. My mouth watered at everything and how wonderful that there was a nut free version for the groom, how kind of you. I'll take one with the nuts please, and maybe 2 cupcakes.

Doran & Jody said...

Oh man! Looks like I missed a great party...er, wedding.

There is beauty all around, when there's food in sight....la de da

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I love you, Beth! Thank you so much for your sweet birthday wishes. You helped make my birthday a happy one, and I'm wishing you much, much happiness in return.

XOXOXO,

Sheila :-)

Rachel (Diary of a Recovering Chocoholic) said...

Those pictres are amazing and the crossiants look delish!

Jacqueline said...

I didn't spend enough time last time I visited. I didn't see your side bar with Christ in the red robe and I read your quote from Pres. Monson. Nice to meet other LDS people. I am having a giveaway of a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. Stop by.

animal print gal said...

The cake oh the cake!... Looks so beautiful and mouth watering! I am going to try the chicken salad-seems so simple yet delicious! It presents beautifully!

Michelle said...

Hi Beth! Wow, what beautiful pictures and what a wonderful love story! How have you been? I haven't been around Blogland too much lately but just returned :) I'm doing well...last week I celebrated 2 years of being a survivor with a party! (Go check out the pics on my blog.)

Have a wonderful evening!
~Michelle :)

JEANNE said...

Good morning Beth, I have been thinking of you and took a rare moment lately to say hello. I have had so much company or been on vacation for several weeks now. It sure cuts into my computer time. I have missed you and your lovely heartwarming posts.

How wonderful to have a beautiful wedding in your home. Perfect place in my opinion. Your home is full of blessings and love for your friends and family.

The food is beautiful and looks delicious. The table is beautiful with all the lovely things to eat. The chicken sandwiches in two parts is just another thoughtful thing you would do. They both sound good but I am partial to the brides version. The cake is so different and beautiful. The flowers are stunning. I just know the kids loved them.

Sending the new bride and groom much happiness.

Have a wonderful Sunday,
Hugs, Jeanne

Ashley said...

Thanks for sharing those, I'm not a fan of nuts so I will be trying out the Groom's version soon! :)

Thanks also for commenting on my post about the Bachelorette. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who cried during the finale! :)