Outside my window... This morning I heard our 4 baby robins wanting their breakfast.. Our little ones enjoy checking on the ronins progress when they arrive to visit. The nest is in a Kwanzan Cherry tree next to our driveway and thus they are leaving quite a mess. All the joy and excitement in this little nest is causing is worth a few droppings! Our clematis, peonies and lots of lilies are in full bloom..
I am thinking... I need to finish returning all the wedding linens we borrowed from friends for my sister’s wedding and figure out what do with the rest of Dad’s things. In just over 2 weeks we have moved all of Dads stuff from his apartment, most of my sister’s belonging to her new home, had the wedding, dads funeral and the blessed birth of Cardston. We will finish moving her later today. Lifes big things are births, weddings, moving, and deaths! We have had all 4.I am thankful for... the sweet mercies of my Savior Jesus Christ! Before we left for our trip back east last month I prayed earnestly that dad could get better so could leave him and spend time with our son, his family and attend our granddaughter’s baptism in Virginia. I prayed he would be comfortable, happy and well taken care of while we were gone.
(Mr B and His dad on Valentines Day)
Not only was my prayer answered, but dad was also allowed to enjoy wonderful days with family and friends and linger until we could get also through the wedding before he returned home to his Savior, Jesus Christ and to his sweetheart.
From the learning rooms... I am trying to organize Dad’s pictures into an album
and writing lots of Thank You notes for many flowers and the many kindnesses offered in our behalf. Friends from our church family prepared 85 delicious box lunches for family members to eat on the way to the cemetery which was over three hours away. Being back in that pretty valley brought many pleasant memories back to Mr B of his youth.
The lunches were so lovingly and thoughtfully prepared from croissant sandwiches to the breath mints and wipes for our hands!
The lunches were so lovingly and thoughtfully prepared from croissant sandwiches to the breath mints and wipes for our hands!
My lesson this week... is remembering it is not material THINGS that matter in this life, but building and maintaining relationships with family, friends and our Heavenly Father which is most important.
Family is everything right along with the special relationship one has with our Savior. Dad was a great example of both!
I want to share... I want to share a story about dad’s life that illustrated the type of man he was. Dad wrote only one humble paragraph in his journal about this accident saying he had cut his hand in a saw.
A member of the First Quorum of the Seventy visited with us at a viewing prior to dad’s funeral, Saturday morning. He shared many wonderful experiences he had with dad while they were building the Portland Temple.
He called dad, ‘a man of miracles’. Dad was very talented as a carpenter and was known for his absolute perfection in creating things of beauty out of wood. He was hired and was in charge of all the gorgeous finishing woodwork found in the Portland Temple for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints..
One day dad was having a difficult time pulling a large piece of wood through the saw and one of his crew grabbed the other end of the wood to pull it through, in doing so he also pulled dad’s hand into the large saw almost severing 4 of his fingers.
Elder Zwick took dad to the hospital and the doctors worked laboriously to reattach dads fingers. He was told he was not to go back to work for at least 3 weeks to even supervise. Dad was back to work that same afternoon with a large bandage on his hand!
We were also told dad would take no compensation for the work he had done on the temple. He had always wanted to serve a mission in his youth for the church, but had been drafted into World II before he could go.
He felt that this service he was rendering was his long awaited mission. (It was just like dad not share this information with us!) The miracle was dad’s hand healed completely with full use of his hands and without any scars! The Lord truly blessed him for his service.
His story was told during the dedication of the temple by Elder Ballard and others (Except they did not mention him refusing to be paid for the job and healing without scars.)
I also want to share... a part of an email Elder Zwick sent to our family.
“We send our love and warm personal greetings at this time of passing of truly one of the very finest men who walked the earth. You noble Father was a man of God with the purest of hearts. He was faithful to the very end and gave tirelessly to bless the lives of others. He was a “finisher” of the highest quality and his life was filled with unselfish service to others. He will be welcomed to his celestial home by a loving eternal companion and we can only imagine how much joy he must feel.
“May you and your entire family always know of our depth of gratitude that our paths crossed so many years ago on the Portland Temple project. I have thought so many times of his faith and integrity and his display of courage from the events there.
His life has been exemplary for so many and we know that his eternal objectives have also been satisfied. His life will be a constant source of light and strength to all of us as we strive to live in his neighborhood someday.”
I embellished it with a sprinkle of dried red pepper flakes, yummy veggies and low fat cheese. We were so hungry I did not get a picture after it was baked!!!
Actually I did make a yummy homemade dinner on Sunday afternoon before sending 2 of our sons back to Colorado and Virginia.
I am wearing... Jean capris and a peach colored tee shirt...nothing exciting!
I would like to share a few pictures from the day of the funeral...
Most of Dad's posterity at the cemetery. Five grandchildren, their families along with our oldest's son's family were not able to be there.
My daughter caught a perfect shot of our 2 year olds outside a cousin's home in Idaho following the burial.
And then our precious 5 years olds! Can't you just see the
They each bring us so much joy and did Grandpa too.
I/we are going to be with our family again this coming weekend for the 4th of July weekend to celebrate our precious Eliza’s
8th birthday and baptism. 19 of our family will be together for the weekend.
I am reading... Dad’s journal
I am hoping... Life will calm down a bit and I can repay the generous offerings of love which has richly blessed our family.
I am hearing... the hum of my computer and soft music
Around the house...I am feeling the love from many beautiful florals and plants from so many friends.
SIMPLY GORGEOUS
We were unable to transport the plants to the cemetery
She is so priceless to me and I am so grateful to still have her.
A few plans for the rest of the week: To prepare for a wonderful weekend celebrating our freedom of living in this great country. I am so grateful for each of our men and women and their dear families who have fought and are still fighting for our country. We pray for them daily that they will stay out of harm’s way.
We appreciated each of those who took part in Dad’s Military service at his grave site. The bugle played, a gun salute was fired and the precious flag was presented to Mr B. We all felt so honored.
Our sons are on this side of his casket. First son #2, son #1 and then our #3 son on the end. His 10 grandsons were pallbearers.
Dad’s last three words to me 4 days before he died after a delightful visit, was
"Celebrate, Celebrate, Celebrate!!!"
Enjoy a safe and Happy 4th of July, remember to CELEBRATE the joys of life!
Love, Beth






25 comments:
The words.."Each Life that touches ours for good"...his life touched mine, thanks for sharing him. He was such a handsome man young as well as old.
So wonderful to be taken such good care of, I love our church and how it's members work for each other all over the world!
What a joy to be given the directive...Celebrate! May you indeed have a wonderful weekend my friend! :D
What a beautiful tribute to your dad. He must have been a wonderful man. I still can't believe all the many things you have been through in the last month- and that you are still sane! One of these days you need to have a lazy day and regroup. You deserve it!
I cried through your whole post! It is beautiful...what love you have for family and all things important...it shines through loud and clear. I wish I had known the Portland Temple story before this past week, I would have sent out a great big thank you to this wonderful man. So to his family, thanks for sharing him...in the delightful stories that were told, his life of service and kindness that was shared and his fabulous talents! I so remember our trip through the Portland Temple open house, we had four little kids...our baby was 6 months old. I remember walking into the dressing rooms...yes just the dressing rooms and being in awe of the magnificent woodwork in there. You can imagine my joy and adoration at the woodwork in the more sacred parts of the temple. My older two kids talked along time about how beautiful that temple was, it certainly made an impression.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts today!
hugs
PS. That 6 month old just had her second baby 6 weeks ago....time certainly flies doesn't it!
There are no words, Beth. I am overwhelmed with emotion and simply can't seem to string a cohesive sentence. Let me say, though, that this is one of the most loving testimonies to a FIL I have ever read, and it doesn't surprise me one bit. You are so precious, and you blessed his life in so many, many ways. Just as you bless mine and everyone who knows you. Love you and wishing you a Happy Fourth! Again, I am so sorry for your loss...
XO,
Sheila
Beth, I am so sorry for your loss, it looks like he was so loved and loved you all so much. It looks like he had a wonderful life and What a wonderful send off from this world into the arms of his Heavenly Father! God Bless you all Beth and hold tight to that precious new life that God has Blessed your family with. Hve a wonderful 4th weekend with your beautiful family.~hugs~
Such a beautiful tribute to your father. What a handsome man!
You really have been through it! Wow.
When this is over you need to take some time for you!
HUGS
What a touching and beautiful post. Your father-in-law was a special man and what tribute you have paid to him. It is wonderful that you had that relationship and enjoyed his goodness. I know you all will be hurting and missing him for a while, but what a legacy he has left for generations! We are thinking of you dear friend and praying for you and your family.
much love,
Jen
I've been out of town for two weeks and had no idea about your father's passing. I am so sorry. Will be thinking of you and your flowers. You got some nice pictures from his service. Especially liked those of the kids and the casket with the flag. He was a handsome man.
Hi Beth,
What a wonderful post, and what a wonderful tribute to your father- in -law, husband and family. I loved all the pictures - precious memories :0)
How thankful I am for the opportunity to be able to meet such wonderful people, like you, through modern technology! The church truly is a worldwide family. I so appreciate how my testimony has been strengthened and my spirit touched through your words. Thank you for sharing your most sacred thoughts and experiences with us (me).
You really have had all of the most stressful experiences a person can have, in a two week span! I hope that you are taking care of yourself through everything - it is so important to make sure that "mom" is OK.
Your pizza looks wonderful, I will have to try "fixing up" a frozen pizza! Eating healthy can be such a struggle - but, 35 pounds lighter! I still have a ways to go - but I will get there. I have lots of encouragement from my family and friends.
Have a wonderful and safe 4th of July!! I hope you are going to be taking it easy?!
Love and hugs,
Barb
Oh loved the post Beth!
So many things have happened, so many emotions to go through.
Aren't we glad for the knowledge of the Plan of Salvation!
Have a great weekend and be safe!
What a heartfelt and loving tribute to your FIL Beth. He was obviously an exceptional man--husband, father, grandfather, and friend. I'm thankful for the long life he had and the many memories that the family has of special times with him going back many, many years.
I'm so glad the the love of your friends and church family is helping to sustain you right now.
I hope your 4th of July weekend is indeed a time of celebration for you.
What a very tender post... he was a VERY handsome man!!! It is hard to loose our parents, but I am so very grateful for our knowledge of "families are forever.'!!!
ps I LOVE peonies and yours are just beautiful!!! I think I need to plant some!
I read this whole post and just marveled at what a wonderful man your FIL was and how much he accomplished with humility and love.
I am glad that most of your family could be at the funeral.
I thought it was beautiful that the ward prepared all of those box lunches - what a blessing.
Happy 4th and I agree - CELEBRATE!
Simply cradling you in comfort, sunrise to sunset and beyond, dear one.
What a love-filled and beautiful testament to your precious father-in-law, Beth. I'm sure he was smiling down on all of you from Heaven as you celebrated his life here on earth.
Again, I am so very sorry for your loss.
Hi Beth, Your flowers are gorgeous. The photos awesome. Good job.
This post about your FIL is so beautiful. Wonderful meaningful photos that tell a wonderful story. You truly have been challenged with so many things happening in your family. A wedding, a blessed baby and on and on. I smiled and I cried when reading this tribute to your FIL and your loving family. The children are all beautiful and I mean it. we have had a couple of weeks of grands and now my brother and SIL. Time on the computer did not happen except for some posting. I have missed you.
Blessings to you all.
Love, Jeanne
Such a precious post *b*.
I'm just speechless.
I love all the pictures, especially with the ones at the end where they are handing Mr B the flag.
Looks like a lovely funeral for a lovely man. I too am in awe of how the church steps in and fills the void in so many ways. Such a blessing for us all. Your husband looks so much like his dad. Handsome men indeed. Mimi
What a beautiful and touching tribute to a wonderful life! Thank you for sharing. Enjoyed all the pictures, to see the eyes of someone who is so dear to you, brings a feeling of knowing just a small part of them.
Have a great weekend. And thanks to all families who have shared loved ones who have served this great country.
What a wonderful tribute to your dad. And beautiful pictures of the children!
My mom is doing well. She is in Italy with three of her friends for a month. She is having a wonderful time and will be back on the 16th. I am sure she will have lots of beautiful pictures and stories to tell.
Have a great week!
XOXO
Jen
I was so saddened to read this. What a wonderful and handsome man. I just loved that thick hair of his! You were blessed to have him in your life.
Brenda
Beth, This is a wonderful post~I loved reading your daybook and the stories about your FIL's life. What a man! I didn't know that he helped build the Portland Temple. Wow. What a great "mission" for him to serve. He was (is) wonderful for his service. What a righteous parentage is your husband's. It is a great blessing.
I love all the floral pictures. They are lovely. Your garden is beautiful, as are the lovely arrangements from the funeral.
Oh, Beth, I know how you are feeling. I lost my precious FIL in 2003 and we miss him so much. But we have had a number of experiences that have witnessed to us that he is one of our family patriarchs on the Other Side and that he is watching over and helping his children and grand-children. I pray you will have such experiences, too. They bring so much comfort.
Right now, Mark's mom is in her last days and his sweet ex-wife, MaryJane, is dying of cancer. They give her 2-3 weeks. So many tearful good-byes. Sometimes I get really blue.
Sometimes I wonder how we keep going when so many precious loved ones have to leave us before our own work here is done. I try not to look too far ahead, but to keep my hand in the Lord's and trust He will help me walk the path, one day at a time.
I pray for peace and joy and comfort to be yours and with your husband and family, now and always.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Oh my goodness, I've been so out of touch lately, I had no idea about your Father in-law. My heart goes out to you and your family. I hope Mr. B is doing okay. What a sad time.
Such a wonderful tribute post to your FIL. Bless his heart. How is his lady friend doing?
Oh, such blessing to have some warm memories and experiences.
All the thoughtfulness, love and support and so helpful during these times. I can see you had much of all of these.
The comfort and answers come from the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Thanks for sharing all these words and pictures.
Take Care.
I sure hope you know how special you are :)
Post a Comment