I can't begin to express the many emotions I feel. In less than 48 (39) hours we experienced the full circle of life...
infuence and love of our Heavenly Father.
We were able to rejoice with my sister, her new husband Steve,
many family and friends -143 to be exact, on Saturday evening for their wedding in our back yard.
We got to welcome little Carston into the world when Taylor went into labor the morning after her mom's wedding.
Both Mommy and baby son are doing beautifully.
Then we spent most of Sunday, Father's Day with dad as he seemed to be slipping away from us. We received a phone call on Saturday afternoon letting us know he was not responsive. We left our guests who setting up for the wedding and were able to bring him out of his funk...so we thought. We returned home to take care of the wedding.
That night Dad got worst. Early Father's day morning Mr B slipped out early to be with his dad. The last communication with dad took place when he bent down close to his dad and said , "Happy Father's Day, I love you." Dad extended his right hand slightly as if to shake his hand.
Later that morning two of our son's and my precious Mr B gave him a blessing. They later returned to their own homes in Idaho and Colorado on Sunday evening.
And then early Monday afternoon, we said GOOD BYE in this life to my sweet beloved Father in law, while I held and loved him in my arms while he passed away.
Mr B made it just in time for his dad's last breath. What an emotional time...
I am so glad our daughter and her 2 youngest children could spend some time with me and grandpa in the morning, I could tell our little guy could feel something serious was happening. Maggie was just plain cute. She thought I was feeding grandpa a sucker when I would moisten his mouth to make him more comfortable. So I used a clean pink sponge swab with clean water to moisten Maggie's mouth. At first she made a silly face, but then giggled. She soon lost interest in the tasteless pink sponge. :) When they left Maggie kept calling back to dad, "Bye Papa, Bye Papa! Wuv oo!" It brought tears to my eyes.
Also my dear sweet friend Connie, who's own husband recently passed away in March, came to be my moral support. Soon after Natalie and Connie left, Dad started to decline rapidly. None of us knew he would go so fast.
Our nephew Nathan arrived with his wife to see grandpa and they were with me the last minutes of his life along with a sweet hospice chaplain, Michelle.
(Our cute dil Jamie, son Kevin along with Nathan and Jennifer) Last July, Dad danced at their wedding and enjoyed the music so much we couldn't get him to even hold still for the pictures! A sweet memory tonight.
I will forever be a changed person being so close and involved with a loved one as they passed from this life to the next.
We each had an choice spiritual experience. There is no doubt in my mind there is life after death. I know there were loved ones in his room who came to get dad after he left his mortal body. They have been there all weekend. It truly helps to know he is happy.
Dad is at the mortuary where this beautiful statue is, showing a worn out lady reluctantly leaving her loved ones behind as she passes through the veil of death into the arms of the Savior. What a comfort this visual reminder was to me when I walked into the mortuary yesterday.
Dad blessed so many lives through his wonderful example. There were many in the senior living where he lived who had a story to tell us, most were of the spiritual nature. Not only was dad very out going, but wore his love of our Savior so close to his heart. He shared this love with everyone he met. The activities director gave me a huge hug and said , "What a lovely, lovely, lovely man! A true gentleman." With tears in her eyes she let me know he was going to be so, so missed.
These are photos of 'Great Papa' and our daughter's children the week prior to his death.
This last picture is little Sam as he placed his young hand on Grandpa's worn hand. It was almost as if the kids could sense this would be their last time to tell him good bye for now. They were very generous with their loves.
Our last wedding guests, my sister and her fun, fun daughters, left to go home to Seattle Tuesday night.
We even have the bride peeking though on the left at her new grandson.
Dad's four son's have each arrived in town for his funeral. One from Hawaii. Our children will start arriving back here tomorrow and even our oldest son in VA will be coming home for the first time in 3 years. The funeral arrangements are finally finished. His funeral will be Saturday and dad will be buried in Idaho. I want to thank each of you for all the wonderful comments you have left in the past concerning this very special man.
I hope to be living a normal life (if that is possible) and catch up with each of you soon. I have lots of wedding pictures to share:)
I know I have said it before and will say it again,
Hold those you love close and never let an opportunity to go by without telling them you love them. You NEVER KNOW!
Love, Beth


28 comments:
My dear sister you are up late! I wish I was close enough to give you a hug O...I hope you feel it! What a sweet post about a dear man...so tender are the pictures of him with all those sweet grandlittles. Please know I will be thinking about you this weekend. Thank you for bringing such a sweet and endearing spirit into my life! Dear Beth, Mr. B and family may God's warm peace feel your hearts and minds as you say good bye for a season to this dearly loved grandfather.
hugs
tricia
What a vast range of emotions you have felt this week Beth. I am come to love your father in law through your posts about him and I am saddened to read this today, and yet my heart rejoices because he is with the Saviour now. I am so grateful for the knowledge of the Gospel and the comfort it brings. Lifting you all up in prayer. xxoo
MY DEAR BETH,
I AM CRYING AS I TYPE THIS. I HAVE BEEN WITH SO MANY FAMILY MEMBERS INCLUDING MY ONLY DAUGHTER AND YOU ARE SO RIGHT ABOUT LIFE AFTER DEATH.
WHAT A TENDER, BEAUTIFUL POST. A WEDDING, A BABY, AND THE PASSING THROUGH THE VEIL OF MR.B'S DAD. SUCH EMOTIONS.
MY GRANDDAD PASSED ON MY SISTERS WEDDING...MY GRANDMA PASSED ON MY BIRTHDAY AND IN JULY I HAD MY AMY AND IN AUGUST MY SISTER HAD A BOY. IT IS MYSTERIOUS HOW LIFE WORKS AND WHAT AN AWESOME GOD WE SERVE.
THANK YOU FOR SHARING SUCH A FRAGILE MOMENT.
MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND THE FAMILY.
HUGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE
Beth, my heart goes out to you, my sweet friend, and I pray you find comfort in knowing that you were such a comfort to your dear FIL in his life. You are an inspiration to all of us who know you, and I am crying with you as I know how much you are going to miss this precious man. You are truly one of the sweetest people I've ever met, and I know how much you must mean to your family because you mean so much to your friends here. I'm sending you all my love across the miles as you lay someone this close to your heart to rest. I think he did as well as he did because he was so loved by all of you. What a blessing!
In deepest sympathy and love...
XO,
Sheila
Oh! Beth,
I am so sorry for your loss, and please know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
What a wonderful tribute to a man that you loved so much. I watched so closely all of the photos and each one told a story of love and devotion.
Hugs,
Sue
What a beautiful post. The circle of life is usually not so close together. I'm sure you will be emotionally drained for a while-I would be. Your wedding looked fun, the new baby is always a great thing, and the passing of a dear parent is always hard. j Good luck!
I didn't even know him but through his pictures here on your blog, I felt that he was a very special man.
This post brought tears to my eyes and put a lump in my throat...it is all true...these precious family ties that will go on forever. What a blessing the plan of Salvation is! God bless and be with you and congratulations to the new bride and new mommie too! :D
What a beautiful post! Grandpa was a sweet and wonderful man. It is bringing back tender memories for me of my grandpa's funeral last year and how the whole family came together from all corners of the US to pay tribute to their patriarch. It will be a bittersweet time for our family reunion, but what a blessing too to be surrounded by loved ones to mourn Grandpa's passing. I love him! And I love you and your hubby. You are in our prayers. xoxo
Oh my word! What an amazingly wonderful/sad/heart-filled time you have had.
Beautiful pictures! What a precious time.
Bless you. {{{Hugs}}}
My eyes have tears. I have enjoyed your posts about your sweet FIL but what has touched me even more is the love, respect and care provided by you, your husband and family. It is very beautiful.
I am so sorry for your loss but I feel so happy for you that your family can gather together and celebrate this wonderful man who had been such a great influence on your life.
Peace be with you.
across the vast space i hope you feel my soul and heart reach to comfort you. these are words that i hope will bring you a tender moment of peace. please forgive that they are from this humble Muse's pen...but i can only express best this way...
pour into my spirit a sustenance
of purity and goodness of soul.
guide me into this day
and forever make me whole.
lend your gentle voice
in days of sorrowful repose.
spread your arms around me
console me and keep me close.
wield your mighty sword
to vanquish my secret woes.
shield me from the tempest storms
and protect me from my foes.
pour into my spirit
a love for all of man.
fill my heart with strength
so that i may take a stand.
let me float about the heavens
let me glide about the sea~
let me ever be protected
as i follow thee.
(((hugs, dear one)))
Oh Beth, what an emotional and moving post, truly it has been the full circle of life for you. I'm so thankful could celebrate your sister's wedding, say hello to baby Carston and then be with your dear FIL in his last moments on earth. I do love the statue in the mortuary. It is a wonderful visual reminder that your FIL is safe in heaven now.
Please take care of yourself in the days to come. It's going to take a while to absorb and process all that's happened in such a short time.
My love and prayers are with you.
Dear Beth,
You have had such an emotional week, my heart breaks for you and your family - it's so hard to say good-bye. But, like you, I know that we continue on in our journey through eternity with those we love and are so anxious to see.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Gentle hugs,
Barb
Thank you for sharing your circle of life with us. How hard to let our loved ones go, but what a blessing to know what we know. I love the statue! I've never seen one like that before!
Will be looking forward to wedding pictures. Good luck getting everything ready for the funeral.
That is so true. Enjoy every moment, no one knows what tomorrow will bring. So sorry to hear about your fil. It is a choice experience to be able to watch them go home. I know he is with those who have gone before what a wonderful reunion they'll have. You've had quite the month. You need to take a little time for yourself now. Enjoy the family while they're visiting. Mimi
I am so sorry for your loss. What a week of all encompassing emotions to deal with. I hope you will feel the peace of God's love throughout this difficult and joyful time.
What an overflow of emotions you have had in such a short space of time. Your family is lucky to have had their dad, grandpa and great grandpa as part of their lives. I am sure you will miss sweet man.
Beth, as I read this beautiful tribute honoring your father-in-law's life and his journey into Heaven, my heart felt your pain and love and joy, too, as your sweet family gathered to celebrate his life and to welcome a new life into the world. I'm sure you will all feel his sweet spirit with you as you say your goodbyes. My heart and prayers go out to you and your precious family.
Oh so sad. My heart hurts reading this.
We also lost a dear friend across the street. Her funeral was yesterday and I really need to get the pictures ready for her children.
This just brings up memories and emotions about my dad this week. I am so thankful for Eternal Families and I just hope that my father will accept the gospel where he is.
Good luck to you and your family. I will be praying for you. What an emotional rollercoaster you must be on.
Squish
Jody
What tender feelings and emotions this brings to me. Thank you for sharing. I love that statue in the mortuary. You are so right that we just never know!!! I am so glad I hugged my Porter not long before he died. He wasn't much of a hugger but one day I MADE him hug me in fun and he did it. I sure love and miss him.
I'm so sorry to hear the news about your father in law *beth*.
I hear you about 'you never know'. My father has been in and out of the hospital this month and now his youngest brother is on life support in NM, wife standing close by not knowing what will happen each second. It's been an emotional week for all of us. big hugs!niki
Beth, What an incredible amount of eternal experiences you have had. I am sorry for the grief you must feel at saying good-bye for now to your sweet FIL. I have experienced that and I can tell you they stay near to help us through this life.
Did you feel loved ones of his beyond the veil waiting for him before he passed?
I love the sculpture. It is so true. God bless the artist.
I am happy, thrilled and sad for all your sweet recent experiences. I pray that you will feel the comfort of the HOly Spirit.
God bless,
Elizabeth
OH, My! This is one of the most profoundly touching, spiritually-uplifting and Life Affirming posts I've ever read on the Internet.
What a carousel of emotions and ups and downs and blessings in every form---and over it all, a deep sense of Peace and Comfort.
Thank you for sharing this so-precious time in your life, all these times of change and loss and gain. My thoughts and prayers are with you all, in your new steps and in your remembrance.
rachel
Dear Beth,
As I read this Post, all I could think was..."tender mercies of the Lord". His timing is impeccable. He allowed for every thing to happen in perfect order.
On the one hand, I'm so happy for your adorable FIL who has been released from the cares and limitations of this world. He endured to the end with such courage. On the other hand, I am sad for all his family who must now go forward without him until the next reunion in heaven.
I've been away too, as my mother also passed away earlier this month. Thank you so much for sharing the photo of the beautiful sculpture. That's exactly as I imagined it for my mom when her happy day came. : )
Much love,
Mary Lou
I've been thinking of you all this weekend. What a lovely tribute to a lovely man. Give our best to Mr. B. xox
Sending you hugs, love and sincerest sympathy. I just returned from our mission trip to find your news and my heart broke for you, for your husband and family. Know that you all are in my prayers. "May the Lord bless you and keep you, may his face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace."
~Jennifer
You precious sweet soul...I don't even have the words to say to tell you how beautiful this post is and how sorry I am for the loss of your beloved Father-in-law...I can not begin to even imagine that grief...but reading your words and feeling the love your family has for each other and for God is such a testimony of mercy and grace I cannot help but rejoice with you as you say goodbye to a precious saint knowing you will see him again one day and then saying hello to a new precious life that is like a tiny sponge just waiting to soak up all that love and guidance that will see it thru to the very end...you are a true light house in this stormy sea of life and many a soul will be rescued because of you and the life you live sweet friend...I am humbled by the witness that you are and have always been...love you so sweetie...much hugs and prays for you and yours~Picket~
Post a Comment