Outside my window...The sun is shining and the trees are providing shade on the newly mowed grass. It is a lovely summer day with the beautiful summer flowers strutting their stuff, in a full array of colors and in full bloom.
I see the light feathery branches of our beautiful Japanese maple as it's graceful limbs brush the outside of my window.I am thinking...what a wonderful time we had last night as we held our first monthly ‘Family Home Evening’ together as a family since our children grew up... (FHE is an evening spent together having fun, learning about Heavenly Father, and the importance of living a good moral life, plus much more!)
Last night we were all able to all be together, from our own different homes, in four different states, using a computer webcam and a program called Oovoo.

(The kids loved seeing their cousins who lived so far away!
First we sang, ‘I am a child of God’ and a little granddaughter in Va said an opening prayer.
(These are our little ones in Utah watching their cousins. )
Our son who is pilot and attending school in Virginia taught us a lesson about our spiritual GPS system. He showed us a video from the small plane he had been piloting in a nasty storm near Salmon, Idaho. He spoke with deep emotion from his heart as he described the extreme dire circumstances they had found themselves in.They couldn’t see anything outside their windows, do to the severe inclement weather they were flying in. Their engine and wings started to ice over. They started to lose their lift, with a drop of about 500 feet per minute.
They had multiple system failures on the plane. He told us how he turned to his Spiritual GPS system of prayer and how he was able to navigate the plane and save the lives of all four men aboard by following the promptings of the spirit.
He did exactly as the still small voice advised him to do, which was a totally erratic maneuver to do while flying an aircraft. Quickly though they found themselves in blue skies and when they looked just down to their right, they saw the face of a mountain top. If he hadn’t listened and obeyed the still small voice...they would have crashed into that mountain top within about 30 seconds! It was a great lesson for our family. (This was a very short synopsis! )
We then we all talked how we could all improve our own spiritual GPS systems and sang, "Families can be together for Forever’ and ended with a closing prayer, by a granddaughter in Idaho.
It was AWESOME! I loved all the laughter as the cousins as they stood in front of computer screens making faces each other!
I am thankful for... this amazing technology that allows our family who is scattered over 2700 miles, to be able to see one another and enjoy a great evening together. All of our children and grandchildren participated.
From the learning rooms... I am learning a different computer program in order to do a small job. I also learning about new medical technology and terms to use in getting the necessary care for my father in law. :-)
From the kitchen...Yesterday I needed to make something fast and easy because we had lots of church meetings to attend... I put chicken breasts and BBQ sauce in the crockpot and we enjoyed pulled chicken sandwiches last night. Later this week I will be making a large pot of Hawaiian Baked Beans to serve at a mountain retreat for about 50 people.
I am wearing...khaki colored capris with a brown v-necked summer sweater and a brown bracelet. As usual I am bare foot!
I am creating... A surprise! Can you guess what it is?
This morning, I bought this fabric at one of my favorite fabric stores, ‘The Material Girls’ on the way to see my father in law. He is doing alright and was happy to see some small visitors.( sorry the picture is so fuzzy!)
I just finished reading... a new book, ‘Pursued’ written by a wonderful author, Lynn Gardner.
I am hoping... For a healthy new baby grandson and pray all will go well for him and his mommy during his birth. I am getting on a plane soon so I can be there for the wonderful event.
I am also hoping for a quick recovery for my father in law, whom I call dad.
He is doing alright and was happy to see some small visitors.( sorry the picture is so fuzzy!)
I hope we can move him soon to a more comfortable situation, closer to our home. He is about 20-25 minutes away right now depending on traffic. I go almost everyday. I have missed one.
I might add a wish here. I wish I was stronger physically that I could just bring him home and take care of him! I can't lift him.
Around the house... I am listening to soft music. It is wonderful to have my niece, Miss P. McCall back home. She spent most of the summer visiting her dad and going to two different girls camps.
She always brings so much joy and sunshine to our home as most 13 year olds do. She and her mom are preparing to start school again soon.One of my favorite things... is going to outdoor theater and concerts in the summer. We recently attended a wonderful program where Jason Hewlett performed. He was hilarious! (Google him and enjoy a big smile!!!) We also attended a concert where a talented pianist Jon Schmidt performed. Both were great.
Here is picture I want to share!

May there be Sunshine in your life this week!
Beth
21 comments:
I had to delete and redo my post. Blogger wouldn't let me correct any mistakes. :-)
So I am copied the following comments which had already been made.
7 comments:
Brenda said...
What fun to share FHE together and live in different states! What a great idea and cheers to technology!
I love your fabric! Are you making a quilt? I wished I could have jumped in the car with ya to Material Girl Quilts!
Sweet picture of your FIL with your grandson. Best wishes to you and your family and new grandbaby!
Have a Great Week!
Love, Brenda
August 17, 2009 3:18 PM
Darlene said...
That FHE was wonderful and so great that everyone could do it! The spiritual GPS is fabulous!
Hope your FIL known as Dad recovers quickly.
Great pictures!
August 17, 2009 3:25 PM
blushing rose said...
This is wonderful sharing your FHE ... ye, technology DOES make things so much easier to be 'close'.
Love the pics ... they are wonderful.
TTFN ~Marydon
August 17, 2009 3:45 PM
Blondie's Journal said...
Beth, This is such a nice way to connect with family. I can tell everyone enjoyed it. We have skype. After Abby teaches me how to use it I can see and hear her after she leaves for school on Thurday!!
I love reading your Simple Woman's Day Book. Just to know what a friend is doing a thinking is so nice!!
Happy to hear your Dad is getting better and better. And if I haven't yet, congratulations on your grandson!!
xoxo
Jane
August 17, 2009 4:52 PM
Lorrie said...
Lovely post--so fun to see your FHE in action--technology can be very wonderful. Love the fabric you purchased. I'm so glad that your FIL is doing better. Hope you can move him nearer soon.
Like so many women I know, you are wearing many hats, playing many roles as you move through the moments of a typical day.
August 17, 2009 5:05 PM
The Gathering Place said...
The family home evening using technology is a great idea. Families can be together even if we are miles apart. JoAnn
August 17, 2009 6:15 PM
honeysuckle said...
That is awesome to join families together for FHE. The Eyre's told about this today in a class at Education Week. So nice to know how it really works. I hope all of your plans and desires come to fruition this week. I've not been to Material Girls but the fabric is beautiful. Will it be a quilt or to decorate a room? Best wishes for your sweet Father in law.
August 17, 2009 7:58 PM
What a great idea for FHE. I'm going to try to do that! The fabric is gorgeous. Must be for that new little grandson. You're so lucky to have so many. We're just getting started. (My kids have been so slow!) Mimi
Wonderful day book entry Beth!!! I just love that you were able to do a family centred FHE via the internet. Modern technology is sooo wonderful! I love your fabrics. Do I see a quilt in the making? Whatever, it will be lovely all the same! Have a wonderful week! xxoo
Such a happy post! I love it!!!
That was lovely to read this morning, I was feeling a little bit down and it made me feel happy reading about you and your family.
Thankyou
Karen
Good Morning Beth! I enjoyed your post so much and the FHE sounds so wonderful. How great that your family can stay connected spiritually using the sometimes wonderful technology that we have! I LOVE the material you have purchased. Can't wait to see what you make with it.
I so hope that your FIL is getting better. You must be going through so much emotion right now with a new grandchild on the way and caring for your FIL.
Thinking of you and sending hugs your way.
Jennifer
Morning girl...what a beautiful post!!!! Loved the testimony...loved the family and love you and your precious spirit..I pray your father-in-law recover quicker than even imagined. I just want you to know how much I admire you and how thankful I am to call you friend...take care sweetie and have a great week.
I'm so glad you FIL is doing so much better! We do a FHE with all our children once a month as well. What a wonderful blessing mod tech is! Are we not blessed to be able to be a part of it? I would guess youa re making a quilt? What ever it is, it is going to be pretty. Thanks for the uplifting post! I was in need! :-D Mercy
I LOVE this post. Remind me next week to try it out.
That FHE idea is great! We have every 1st Sunday scheduled to come eat at my house but I don't know how to implement the FHE lessons and such. I guess I just DO IT. I have one daughter that gets up and leaves the room when we do anything that involves the church.
Great job! And what a good example you are to your family!
Beth, your post rendered me breathless. The family getting together electronically is amazing. Your story about your son's brush with death in an airplane is overwhelming. I love the fabric and I am sure it will be a beautiful quilt. Your life is so busy (that's where I lose my breath) you are one amazing person. I admire your life as a christian woman striving to keep your family together and dealing with your ill FIL. Then you share a beautiful sunflower AND WISH EVERYONE A SUNSHINE DAY. I treasure you as a blogging friend Beth. Your life is an inspiration to us all.
Gods blessings to you and your wonderful family.
Love, Jeanne
How fun!
Pamela who is an RN in a skilled nursing home.
Was just reading your posts
about NH care.
This is one good thing abouth technology. How wonderful Beth to gather family around from different homes :-) And the story of your son is just amazing - a miracle. God really is watching over us. I like how refer to it as a spiritual GPS. :-)
I hope and pray everything will be well in you home - your daughter giving birth and welcoming a new blessing and your Father in law's recovery :-)
Mizpah,
Li
I'll pray that your dad would recover soon. I know he will. Always pray to god and ask for his blessings. Have a nice day.
That was a wonderful post. You are doing so many great things.
I love the web cams and we use them to talk to our kids who live in different states but you are the first one I have heard of who has used it so creativly to have a Family Home Evening - I think that is just wonderful. I can imagine all the kids making faces and having fun.
The story of the plane was very scary - so glad that turned out good.
The fabric is beautiful - I would guess you are making a quilt.
Love the sunflowers at the end.
I hope you continue having a sunny week :D
P.S. A new baby is very exciting! Hope all goes very well!!
Oh, I'm so thankful your son survived, Beth! What a story!
And I'm hoping your FIL is doing better. I'm checking in with you this morning to see how he is. That picture of him with the little one is SO sweet.
It's so hot in Florida right now that I can't imagine sitting outside for a concert. October can't get here fast enough for me!
XO,
Sheila :-)
Hi Beth :)
I'm thinking and praying for your father in law's recovery. And how neat that you did the family night via computer! I love how family oriented you are. :) Hope you have a great weekend. xoxo
Wow! You've been one busy chick-a-roo! I love the pictures of your flowers. How lovely to be able to spend FHE with all of your loved ones together. What a treat! Sorry to hear about your FIL. Here's to a quick recovery! I hope you are having a great summer!
I'm glad your f.i.l is doing better. Hopefully he can be closer soon. OOvoo huh? That's so cool. You are all spread out so that's perfect for you. What a great idea.
The way technology is so advanced amazes me. Son has a web cam for when he is talking to his friends and girl friend now living in Spain. What a creative way you have used it. Your son's story is amazing. It would make me feel so humble feeling God's guidance in such an intimate way.
I'm guessing that the fabric would be perfect for a little baby boy quilt?
Good to hear that your Dad is recovering. I'll now read on. I have a lot of catching up to do where we've been away.
Post a Comment