Thursday, August 13, 2009

Dad and a Peaceful night's Sleep

This waterfall sounded heavenly and so peaceful when at a home we recently visited. I remember thinking how wonderful it would be to relax and go to sleep with such beautiful music in our ears.

This is 'Thankful Thursday' and I AM very grateful for so many blessings. I am grateful for the beauty which surrounds us daily. How the simple sounds of rushing water, the beauty of a flower, seeing a child's imagination unfold and seeing a smile of gratitude on an elderly person's face can bless our lives and so many much more blesss our lives each day...


*

But sometimes when you are so frustrated you forget about these simple blessings. And this week, I have been so frustrated and this might not be a very positive blog. I am sorry... I have shed many tears as we have worked hard to get the necessary medical care for our dad...
*
I really am grateful our health system and I can’t imagine if our health care changes drastically for our elderly and the end of life care.
*
We are finding anyone who is in a ‘Skilled Nursing Center' or nursing home needs an advocate and someone watching out for them! We have had a terrible time for my Father in Law's (dad's) vital information, to be passed down to his next care givers, when their shifts changes. The next nurse and aide who comes on duty seems to be clueless. His shoulders have been re-injured this week and at first we couldn't understand why he was so disoriented.

*
The first night we left him comfortable in a soft reclining chair watching his roommates TV since he didn't have his own remote yet.


His roomie is non verbal and sleeps most of the time. We found out the aide left at 10:00 pm and dad declined the aide's help of being put into bed before he left. ( We found out the next day he had thought his roomie was IN HIS bed and he didn't want to disturb him. ) We received several phone calls from him during the night saying, " I want to lay down and no body will talk to me."

*
Mr B told him to call his nurse on the red call button. The poor man spent the night, just in his hospital gown he had arrived in from the hospital, sitting in that chair without a blanket.

*
He was trying to get oriented and that didn't help any with his confusion. We thought he had mixed up his nights and day. Little did we know how bad it would get.

*
Dad’s oxygen level was low while in the hospital. So when he was transferred he was on oxygen. We were told he was to keep it on until he could maintain 93 % ... They had only been able to get it up to 86%.
*
It seems this week since moving him to a "highly skilled care center" with a re-hab next door, he has declined about 70% mentally and physically! We have been literally FIGHTING to get our dad decent care. EACH time we go to see him, except for once, his oxygen has been removed from him. Twice it was laying on the floor.

*
Monday, when I went to see him, his oxygen was laying on the floor and he was not himself. I asked an aide to please replace it and he sterilized it and it was replaced. I explained to dad, HOW important it was for him to keep his oxygen on for the healing process. I explained that not only his brain cells were dying but ALL of the cells of his body would die without the needed oxygen. He became happier and brighter within an hour of having his oxygen back on.
*
He then called me several times on his cell phone saying he needed help to get his oxygen on because they had taken it off. He said he couldn’t find anyone to help him. I would then talk him through the process of calling for his nurse or aide.
*
With his torn rotators cuffs in both shoulders and a broken pelvis he has limited mobility. He wants to wear it, understands he needs it and is not taking it off. I am frustrated because I have called, had meetings with the director of nursing on his floor, his own nurses and we have repeatedly asked his aides to please keep his oxygen attached to him.

*
Tuesday, we found him AGAIN in a wheel chair, waiting for dinner in the dining room, very disoriented and weak...
*
He didn’t have his oxygen with him!

*

We wheeled him back to his room and the nurse checked his oxygen and it was only at 81%. (Body cells die at that percentage.) We placed a sign in his room which I had made. It says," PLEASE make sure oxygen is replaced after showering. He is to remain on oxygen at all times!" I spoon fed him some pudding snacks I had brought him.

When his aide came in, she said, " I was told by his nurse he didn’t need oxygen when he left his room."

*

We found out most of our pleading had been for naught. For each meal and for each appointment with Physical Therapy, he had been going without any oxygen! Then after he was brought back and left in the wheel chair, he remained in his room without it, sometimes for hours! Until someone realized he needed it off, or I called them to see if he had it on or he pleaded loud enough for them to replace it!

*
So again we MADE SURE the nurse and aide KNEW he needed oxygen on at all times. We did not leave the center until they attached an oxygen holder to the back of his wheel chair so a tank could always go with him.


*

Wednesday afternoon, Mr B and I had a meeting set up with a case worker and social worker for dad at the care center. We went early because we wanted to wheel him over to where his apartment is, in a Senior living Center to have dinner with his friends. He is a people person and needs that social interaction. It is only a block away...


*

When we got there, he was in bed, his oxygen was on but not under his nose...but it was his own fault as it slipped while he was sleeping... He seemed very ill, with labored breathing and very feeble... Not the same man who entered the home only three days prior, on Sunday!


*

I found the RN on duty and she listened to his chest and heard strange noises and his temp was up. She called the doctor, ordered ex~rays and then she gave him a large shot of antibiotics. His oxygen was again in the low 80s.


*
Thank goodness we have children who are medical professionals and can advise us with the necessary medical jargon. What about people who don’t?


*
He had all the symptoms of getting pneumonia. Thankfully his new nurse was AWESOME! We thought finally we had someone’s attention. I went and got his dinner for him at the Senior Living Center which is always yummy... It was a good thing we were there, because he was too weak to get in a wheelchair, so again we helped him to eat...

*
Then we met with a case and social worker. We voiced all our concerns in the meeting. They listened and we felt it turned out well. We were bone tired when we left. We were still concerned because he seemed so weak...

*

Then this morning he called while waiting for breakfast. He was in the dining room and said he felt great! He sounded wonderful! He had showered that morning and but was getting a little impatient because he had been waiting for his breakfast for an hour.

*
I asked him if he had his oxygen tank, He said, " No! They hadn’t replaced it after his shower." So I again called the nurses station... Then about two hours later he called and wanted to know where his wallet was. He wasn’t making any sense. I asked if he had his oxygen yet and the answer was still NO.

*
I got mad! Yes, I do have a fast temper! ( Then usually forget why I got mad. I can never stay mad.:-)

*

So again, I called and after being on hold for 10 minutes, I hung up and found the number for the director of the center. Within about 4 minutes, he assured me dad’s oxygen was hooked up and he would personally make sure he would have it on after this. He would call us back daily to see our concerns.

*

I was always polite and gracious. I was gracious also to the director, but he could tell we were upset and wanted some positive action, fast! He gave me his cell phone # and wanted us to call if we were to have any more problems. I hope we finally got the attention of the staff and dad has a chance to heal and get better.

*
I truly understand the difficult load of the staff, as our niece managed a wonderful care center in an another state. My sister was aide there and they LOVED the people. It is hard work! I appreciate each of them so much for what they do. Thank You for all your concerns and well wishes. I am still not back to regular blogging and I am sorry I used my blog as a place to vent today.
*

Please watch the care your parents and grandparents are receiving. I am finding out they need your voice and us to be an advocate for them. You/we can make a difference in their health care they receive.

*
I am on my way back over to see Dad and take his laundry to him. I want to see how he is doing...with oxygen!:-) I do hope all is well in each of your families!


*
In less than three weeks we are expecting the birth of our new grandson. I truly am grateful for so many blessings! Heavenly Father blesses us constantly and I am grateful for the promptings I have had in behalf of dad this week.

*

Bless each of your hearts if you read this long VENT! :-)


Sleep Peacefully tonight. We sure are going to try! :-)

Love, Beth

17 comments:

~Niki~ said...

Sorry *c* you are having to go thru all this. I feel your pain. I know how hard it is to care for a loved one that is sick or in the hopsital. You have to be on their tails 24-7 it seems. Sad. Get some much needed sleep!♥

Pattie D said...

Hope your rest tonight is peaceful. I would wish for the waterfall right outside your window, to lull you into deep slumber. I am sorry about *dad*. It seems it really is hard to have good care, but so sad because these are our elderly, our parents, grandparents...
Well, you have been on my mind alot lately, I see why! And it is your blog you can vent if you want and you should it is the best place to get rid of the frustration...and just for the record I don't think you have a quick temper...you seemed very patient to me!
Love and hugs
tricia

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I'm just catching up with you, Beth. I am so sorry to hear of this! I hope things improve.

Prayers and thoughts, for "Dad" and family!

A New England Life said...

I agree, it's tough, and many nurses don't care about their patients which is sad. Good thing your FIL has such great advocates in you and your husband. Seniors definitely need that. Just think what it must be like for those who don't have it!

My mom is 72 and though very healthy she has had a couple health problems this past year. Luckily she had excellent care while she was in the hospital. Really, everyone was great! But I was so glad to be there to ask all the questions that she or my dad couldn't, or didn't know to ask.

Hopefully your FIL will start to heal more quickly with his oxygen ON!

CB said...

I read your whole post.

My Nana just passed away but for the past 2 years my mom went through ALOT of this with her care facility(ies). My mom literally had to be there on a daily basis to make sure things were fine and even then things would go wrong.
You are so correct that our elderly do NEED an advocate.
Bless you and your husband for being there and keeping on it for your dad's welfare. It has got to be SO terribly frustrating.
I would also recommend keeping a paper trail/writing it all down just in case.
I hope you get a restful nights sleep as well and that your dad's oxygen stays put!!

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

Oh My! I thought he was doing well... Your last post was hopefull.... What’s the deal with all these guys? These are professionals.....how can you forget oxygen????? I'll bet a big percentage of people that are in this care center are on oxygen. Are they all going without?
Kind of freaks me out. Good thing you listen when you are being prompted! I hope you have gotten everybody’s attention and you can start trusting his care givers to do their job. What a blessing you live close enough to where he's at so that you can have your finger in his pie every day!!! I'll bet you and Mr B are both hashed. Hopefully now maybe it can all be resolved and you can rest and your FIL can rest and heal. So hard watching parents go through this kind of stuff. Hugs. Lewaina ♥

Blondie's Journal said...

Beth,

Good luck!! I may sound callous but my mother could have died in one of these facilities if we had not checked her out. I can only hope and pray that this is what you do with your FIL. Don't wait...it will not get better!!

xoxo
Jane

Bland's said...

Hey it's Kristin I just saw your Blog!! Sorry to hear about your Father in Law.... Love ya!!

Trina said...

Sheesh! I think I'd plaster his side of the room with signs that say he needs his oxygen. I sure hope things get better for him. I'll say prayers for him. Love ya.

Marie Rayner said...

How frustrating for you and for you FIL. I hope that everything improves with his care from now on and that he is able to get better. I also hope that you both had a restful night with plenty of sleep.

Anonymous said...

Huge hugs. You have every right to be upset that his basic human rights are not being met at this facility. If you have to get cross to get them to take care of him then so be it. At the moment they are not doing what they are paid to be doing and there should be an enquiry about why the staff looking after him are not knowing his vital needs.

I think you need to write a formal letter of complaint to the manager citing all the times when his life has been put at risk and cc a copy of the letter with whatever board supervises nursing care in your area. What is happening needs to be documented in places where it matters. It doesn't sound like the meetings you have had are having an effect at ground level which is dangerous.

I'm sorry too to be being negative and advising you to do more things when you are already doing so much, but there is something fundamentally wrong if staff are making him (and possibly others) ill by not following medical orders.

jeanne said...

Good morning dear Beth, I am so disturbed by your story of your FIL's care in the nursing home. the neglect is appalling. Talk about anger you sound just like me. I can't stay mad at all. I laughed when you said you forget why you were mad. That me all over. I'm thinking we are a lot alike Beth

Back to you venting. Isn't it the blessings of a blog to share your thoughts, worries and concerns? Your post is also a wonderful reminder to be sure we are mindful of the nursing home syndrome. Usually not enough staff for the best care needed at times. Thank heavens your FIL was able to have enough presence of mind to call you.
I am so sorry for what you have endured in this situation. I pray with all my heart, that things are better now.

Blessing to your FIL and your family at this difficult time.

Love...Jeanne

The Gathering Place said...

It sounds like you are in the midst of a very frustrating situation. I think you were wise going to the head of the center. They need to be responsible for patients well being and for their employees conduct. Good luck with the rest of the recovery process. It is hard watching loved ones suffer. Hope you have a better week.
JoAnn

Southern Lady said...

My heart goes out to you and your sweet father-in-law, Beth. You are so right -- someone needs to be in constant touch with health care administrators when a loved one's safety and health are involved. Sadly, you just can't count on nurses or caregivers to know what is going on with their patients from day to day, and sometimes this has life-threatening consequences, or worse.

I hope your FIL is better soon and you can get some much needed rest. I know he's constantly on your mind, wondering if he's getting his oxygen and the care he needs. Thank goodness he has you and Mr. B to monitor the situation.

I will keep you all in my prayers, and will also remember your friend's son Josh. Please let Mindi and his wife know we apppreciate what he is doing and pray he will be back home soon.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Beth, it's six in the morning here, and I wanted to check in when I saw this was about your FIL. In addition to an exercise in frustration, this sounds like malpractice to me. If you can move him out of that center and into another one, I would consider it. If things don't drastically improve, I would tell his doctor what is going on and get him to intercede. You poor dears!

When my mother was in the hospital, the nurse's aide put her bed pan on the FLOOR! I had a screaming fit, so she picked it up off the filthy hospital floor (and you know that hospital floors no matter how many times they are mopped are germy)and put it on her bed tray!!! I screamed, "Nooooo," at that point and to get me some disifectant. She said, "I don't know what the big deal is. It's not touching her seat. The sheet is between her seat and the bedpan." Now do you see why staph infection is rampant these days???

I explained to her that, "No, it's not touching her seat, but it will be touching the SHEET which is touching her SEAT." And my mother was a person who had a white count that was practically non existent. So I sterlized the bottom of the bed pan in the bathtub AND the tray table.

Another thing they refused to do was to glove up when they came in to take blood. I said, "I'd like to ask you a favor. I happen to know the patient in the next room has a disease that is communicable, and I would like for you to please use gloves when you are handling my mother because her white count is so low." Then they had a fit that I had found out about the patient when it clearly said ALL over the patient's cart about keeping things from that room away from other patients. They had left the cart in the hall. The supervisor said to me that he was worried that the patients would feel alienated if they wore gloves. I said, "Not my mother. She's germ conscious, and she would welcome it!"

Can you even imagine having to request that normal safety procedures be used?

Anyhow, that's why they tell you that you never want to be in the hospital unless you absolutely have to be.

Mr. Magpie tells me that I could be a hosptial safety inspector, and my niece actually lectures on how to properly sterlize operating equipment.

I just hope and pray that your sweet FIL gets the care he deserves and that you can rest knowing he's getting that care.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Elizabeth said...

Beth,

It is very upsetting to hear stories like this. Unfortunately, this kind of thing is all too common. We got great care for Mark's grandmother, Martha, but his father was misdiagnosed and mishandled, which led to his death. Thank goodness you father has you! It's still makes me mad. Please give us an update as things progress.

God bless you, friend!
Elizabeth

Doran & Jody said...

Sorry you are going through this. We have grandma in a facility also and ru into some of the same kind of problems where no one knows anything but they promise to tell those who are coming duty.

Keep checking and demanding. I feel bad for those patients that don't have family voices to help them.

Good luck